bellsouth.net vs. att.net

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
I started out with BellSouth 6.0 dsl service. With the 6.0 I was given a static ip address that was included at no additional cost. A few days ago I tried to change my email address from bellsouth.net to att.net. They told me that the only way to do that other than creating a sub email address was to close my current account and reopen a new account however the static ip address would cost me 14.99. Well I kept my current account. duh I forgot to ask. Is that a month or a one time fee?

I'm pretty sure it is 1 time Frank. I just wish I could get higher than 6.0. I just don't want to let the shady Charter punks in my house to get their 10.0.

Why does anyone need a static IP?

I can think of just a few reasons but these have lower cost alternatives.

You wish to host a slow website. Alternatives are same or lower price by leasing space on a large ISP service.
You wish to upload a webcam for general access. Alternatives are free and come with the camera, such as a Panasonic security camera.
You wish to have VPN capability. This is about 6 of one half dozen of another compared with Go to my PC type of service.

What am I missing out on by not having a static IP?

Why does anyone need a static IP?

I can think of just a few reasons but these have lower cost alternatives.

You wish to host a slow website. Alternatives are same or lower price by leasing space on a large ISP service.
You wish to upload a webcam for general access. Alternatives are free and come with the camera, such as a Panasonic security camera.
You wish to have VPN capability. This is about 6 of one half dozen of another compared with Go to my PC type of service.

What am I missing out on by not having a static IP?

You are right, I have the same question, no one was able to give me a good answer.

It was given to me free when I signed up for Bellsouth DSL 6.0. As long as I keep things the way they are it remains free. For new subs they will charge 14.99 apparently per month. Some companies who employ people that work at home require it. I see no reason to give it up regardless of why one would need it!

Its mainly a security tool. If your work has a VPN network that only allows certain IP's to access it you must have a static IP. Otherwise youd be calling the IT guy often to have him update your IP in the security permissions.

Why a static IP? In my case, I'm running my own SMTP, webmail, and various other things including the slingbox. Of course my DSL is not ATT but a CLEC without all the TOS restrictions that would prohibit my servers on the ATT network.

Why would you want an @ATT.net (or tied to any other ISP) address anyway?

Why a static IP? In my case, I'm running my own SMTP, webmail, and various other things including the slingbox. Of course my DSL is not ATT but a CLEC without all the TOS restrictions that would prohibit my servers on the ATT network.

Why would you want an @ATT.net (or tied to any other ISP) address anyway?

Most people like me do not run servers or connected to the internet all the the time like you are. I guess that is why you have a SMTP hunh? Is your CLEC used for a business? If you read the complete thread it was something that was given to us back then. We did not request it. As far as TOS restrictions so far they do not or have not effected me that I am aware of. Instead of asking questions that have already been answered why don't you explain the advantages of what you are running and why?

Last edited:
I want to get a HP Mediasmart server. It works fine but has ssl errors when using Dynamic DNs Services. By having a Static IP I can get my own SSL certificate and Point any name I want to It instead of having to use myname .hpdomain .com. I can use www .myname. com
(added spaces to keep from making links)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts