Microsoft Surface Pro 3 vs Apple iPad 4 vs Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2: specs comparison

That comparison table is useful, but it is far from being complete.
For example, it doesn't even mention the interface ports - and that's where the Surface Pro really shines:
- Full-size USB 3.0
- microSD card reader
- Mini DisplayPort
- Docking port

The lack of broadband is the most obvious shortcoming. I am really surprised Microsoft has released the Surface Pro 3 without it! (Of course with a full-size USB port present you can always use a dongle.)

Game changer? Isn't Microsoft implicitly giving up the fight against the iPad and just trying to make this a touch-screen uber-light laptop to take on the Macbook Air?

That was the whole point of the Surface Pro from the start: not to compete with the iPad directly, but to introduce a new category of a high-end tablet, a laptop replacement, essentially to compete in the ultra-portable category. The comparison with the Macbook Air is very appropriate in that regard.
And I think Microsoft has succeeded in filling that niche very nicely. For those who need both an ultra-portable Windows laptop and a tablet, the Surface Pro offers an excellent choice: one device that can serve as both!

That was the whole point of the Surface Pro from the start: not to compete with the iPad directly, but to introduce a new category of a high-end tablet, a laptop replacement, essentially to compete in the ultra-portable category. The comparison with the Macbook Air is very appropriate in that regard.
And I think Microsoft has succeeded in filling that niche very nicely. For those who need both an ultra-portable Windows laptop and a tablet, the Surface Pro offers an excellent choice: one device that can serve as both!

In watching people use the Surface Pro, whatever the latest version is, it definitely seems to be used like a laptop with a stylus/touch-screen. I see the benefit of the small size, and certainly use my macbook air much more for actual work than my iPad; which serves a different purpose. were I in the Windows world, I can see the benefit of the Surface.

They have two options though, in rt to go after strictly tablets, and the full version, which the SP runs.

Honestly though, as ,most, I see rt as DOA. Full windows can run nicely on bare specs as shown by many 8" tablets, so rt is really not necessary.

For what its targeting, this hits a dead on bullseye.

Sent from my Iconia W4-820 using Tapatalk

I think the main reason and purpose of Windows RT was to give Intel a kick in the ass. ;)
Intel was way behind supporting tablets. If it had something like the latest Atom available 2-3 years ago, I suspect Microsoft wouldn't be even doing the RT Surface at all.
Moving forward there is no much need for Windows RT. Atom-based tablets are already powerful enough to run full Windows 8.1, judging by the latest waive of 8-inch Windows tablets. In fact, I will not be surprised if in the next year or two Microsoft comes out with a phone running full Windows 9 or something! RT is dead for sure.

Sent from my M80TA using Tapatalk

I have an iPad Air and I use it a lot when travelling. I can get by doing most things with it, but for longer trips I have to have a laptop also, it is just too hard doing some things on the iPad. I will now give the SP3 a serious looking over to see if it can be my laptop replacement. I have no doubt it could replace it, but at the price an ultrabook or a macbook may be a better option.

My wife and son both got iPad Mini Retina and I would not pick a Windows RT tablet over the iPad. I do have a Window 8.1 tablet (Dell Venue 8 Pro) and I love it. The only thing I wish is that it has a bigger screen and faster CPU. I use to carry my 8lb 17" laptop on travel, but now I only take the DV8P. I am trying to decide if I should stick with the DV8P or completely just replace the 17" laptop with a SP3.

IF they get the universal app store going then RT might have a new purpose. Right now its too limited.

Sent from my Lumia Icon via Tapatalk

Best thing about this tablet is that it runs full windows, not RT. I also like the 12 inch screen size. I view this as a great alternative to a laptop, not an iPad replacement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts