Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
I've been playing with an 8" Windows tablet for about a month and thought I would share my first impressions.

There are several 8" Windows tablets on the market right now from Dell, HP, ASUS, Lenovo, Toshiba and others. All based on the latest line of Intel Atom CPUs. Very reasonably priced: many are under $300. (Microsoft might be announcing its 8-inch Surface next week too, though I don't know much about what it will be).

The one I've got is ASUS VivoTab Note 8 M80T, the 64 GB version. Currently priced at $339. The tablet is small and light, very portable, almost pocket-size, like Kindle. Not as thin and light as iPad Mini, but close enough. This tablet is touch-sensitive like all other tablets out there, but it also comes with an active digitizer stylus, which is conveniently stored inside the tablet itself, so it's always there when you need it. The stylus comes very handy for taking handwritten notes during meetings and seminars or for drawing sketches. It is also very useful for clicking on tiny buttons in some Windows programs not designed for Touch.

Of course, the main advantage of this tablet is that it runs the full version of Windows 8.1, not just some limited Windows RT. This means I can install pretty much any Windows software on it. That's very important for me: I no longer have to carry a laptop whenever I travel. As good as iPad apps are, they still don't fully eliminate the need for a laptop, particularly for business applications.

I Like the Windows 8.1 "Metro-style" user interface. Fits the tablet very well. But I am still getting used to having two separate environments on the tablet: Windows desktop programs and Windows "Metro-style" apps. It's like running two operating systems on the same tablet in parallel. I even have some programs (like Microsoft OneNote) installed in two different versions: desktop and Metro. But it's good to have a choice and to be able to run both types of apps if needed.

And I must say this latest Atom CPU (Z3740) does a good job! My impression is that it's way more powerful than the older Atoms used in Netbooks, while consuming much less power (no cooling fans in these tablets!)

The screen is very bright. It is readable even outdoors in bright light. The screen resolution is 1280x800. There are some 8-inch Windows tablets with higher resolutions, but to me, this is sufficient, particularly when using some older Windows desktop programs that don't scale too well at HiDPI. Touch sensitivity is pretty good. One thing I don't like about this screen though is that it's a real fingerprint magnet! I normally don't use screen protectors, but think I'll have to get one for this tablet.

This Vivo Tab Note 8 is rather minimalist when it comes to the I/O ports: just one USB 2.0 (OTG-capable) port and one micro SD card slot. I wish it had USB 3.0 and micro-HDMI. Some other 8-inch tablets do have those extra ports, but then they lack other important features like the active stylus.

So, am I ready to give up my beloved iPad? Not yet! As far as I am concerned, iPad still rules: more mobile apps, better battery life, better screen, more polished UI: way more practical as an all-purpose tablet. But this new wave of Windows tablets shows a very good promise. Very competitively priced with full Windows support in a very portable form-factor and with additional features like active stylus and microSD card slot, they fill a niche, replacing a laptop on short trips and eliminating the need for book readers like Kindle. Definitely a good choice for a business tablet.

And most importantly, the ability to access POP3 e-mail accounts.
Being able to run full Microsoft Outlook on the tablet is definitely a huge plus in my books!
Although I can easily access all of my email accounts from the iPad, I do miss the full-featured Outlook.

Ive had the Dell, and now have the Acer version since it has HDMI out. I have been very pleased with this generation of 8" windows tablets.

I bought my daughter a Dell Venue PRO 64 GB for Christmas. She brought it to me last week and showed me how the USB port had separated from the board. Still trying to figure out if it can be fixed for less than a new one.

If I do replace, I'd be interested in a unit that supports inductive battery charging, which the Dell doesn't have.

Yeah there are plenty to choose from some are better than others just depends on what you buy and how much you want to spend..

I bought my daughter a Dell Venue PRO 64 GB for Christmas. She brought it to me last week and showed me how the USB port had separated from the board.
Should still be under warranty?

I don't like the microUSB port. It's too difficult to plug in, especially in a dark room. It's not reversible. I've heard there are talks about making the next USB reversible, similar to Apple's Lightning port.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've been reading reports that folks who plug it in upside down are being denied warranty because it is "abuse". I am guessing that a loose connector will be the same situation. Dell doesn't make it easy to talk to them about it.

I've been reading reports that folks who plug it in upside down are being denied warranty because it is "abuse". I am guessing that a loose connector will be the same situation. Dell doesn't make it easy to talk to them about it.
You don't really know whether this was abuse or a manufacturing defect. Just request a warranty repair and see what happens...

I have a DV8P too, and I have to say the charging port is really badly designed. There is no reason that it is shaped rectangular instead of micro-usb port shape. But other than that, the DV8P is really well made. I used to carry my 17" 8lb laptop with me on trips, but now only the DV8P. I have windows 8.1 set to boot to desktop and installed classshell for the Start menu, so it is just like running Windows 7. I rarely use any of the Windows apps.

That is one gripe I had with Venue Pro as well. The port was horrible, and I was all the time getting it reversed.

I forgot to mention that most if not all 8-inch Windows tablets come with a full license of Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student edition, with Word, OneNote, Excel, and PowerPoint. This is important, as it costs $139 when purchased separately!

I've heard there are talks about making the next USB reversible, similar to Apple's Lightning port.

Yep and it can't come fast enough. I've read soon(year or so) all will have reversible USB 3.0. :)

I forgot to mention that most if not all 8-inch Windows tablets come with a full license of Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student edition, with Word, OneNote, Excel, and PowerPoint. This is important, as it costs $139 when purchased separately!

Yeah, I've got a refurb 64gb Dell coming today. Between an expected discount for the multiple delays/any imperfections (others have been getting them for less) the initial low price of $200 after a 27% discount and if I really wanted to I could sell the Office license... I could have a quality W8 tablet for less than $100 when it all settles.

With the delays I'm now getting it right before the Surface event instead of a few weeks prior, so going to definetly see how they'll incent me to keep the thing instead of getting the latest and greatest.

It isn't going to happen, but MS releasing a Venue-style tablet at like $199 MSRP would really be a game changer in the tablet market. Part out the extras like a case, keyboard, even the Office license. Give us discounts or incentives to right-size the purchase and upgrade to those things, but make the initial investment closer to that impulse-purchase territory and they could turn the market upside down. Then again, if they undercut what 3rd parties can do they could probably also kiss nicely produced tablets from them goodbye too.

It is also important if you're buying these for a business where the H&S edition is not allowed.

It is also important if you're buying these for a business where the H&S edition is not allowed.

The bundled Office will mostly benefit individual users. Businesses usually have volume licenses. I bought my tablet for business purposes, so all I had to do was provide our corporate volume license key and I am now running the full Pro version with Microsoft Access, Outlook, etc.!

I didn't have to re-install anything. The pre-installed Office accepted my Pro volume key and configured the office accordingly.

How much hard disk space on these? That it is always a concer to substitute a laptop.

Sean, mine has 64 GB. The price difference between 32 GB and 64 GB versions is minimal ($40-50) I would strongly recommend going with 64 GB as Windows itself takes a lot of space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)