Benefits of connecting my 722 to Broadband?

toddjb

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
Germantown, MD
What are the benefits of connecting my 722 receiver to broadband vs. a phone line?

I did see this old thread, but was hoping for more recent features as its been over a year since that post.

Here is what I know of;

• If I use broadband, I don't need to connect a phone line. (but I probably will anyway because I like the Caller ID feature)
  • I can hopefully utilize the new Sling Guide feature.

That's all I got. Two things...and some chatter about movies I can download through broadband...but wouldn't these be available anyway?!?!

I just bought an ethernet bridge so that I can connect one of my receivers to broadband and hopefully get the Sling Guide access.

I was just wondering if there are there any other benefits?

All I really want to be able to do is set timers when I'm away from home!

Thanks for any tips. I did start with a forum search but there are tons of posts here and I didn't find a quick answer,

-todd

Yes,if you connect your 722 to the ethernet port you will be able to use the Slingguide feature if you go to the website and sign up.You will also be able to download movies .You will still have to keep your phone line connected however for caller id on your phone.The interactive features will also have to work with your phone line.Example/dish home channel 100 features.

Just did this

I just recently got my 722 hooked up to the internet. In addition to what you have mentioned (potential rec'r charge, and slingguide beta), you can also get access to Dish Online from the DVR menus. I've only spent a little while experimenting with Dish Online downloading a few test shows (free content) to try it out - but it's there.

Thanks for the quick response. I'll have to check out the Dish Online features...is that where you can download movies? Even for $4, maybe that isn't bad if you can watch something by choice instead of going to the video store. I'll have to check it out. I'd really only want to download something if it is in HD, though.

I have to say the SilngGuide connection was one of the easiest setups I have ever had. Well, the whole thing, actually. If anyone else is curious, here is what I did;

- bought an Apple Airport Express so that I could connect to an existing wireless network but have a local ethernet port to plug in to my 722.
- set the AE up to extend my current network.
- connected an ethernet cable to the 722
- went to the Broadband settings, did a RESET and all the new IP info came up on its own. DONE!

Then I followed the SlingGuide directions which were also seamless. Somebody did there homework on this one. This was VERY fast and worked the first time for me.

I tried to connect my 622 to the internet for the first time yesterday using a HomePlug. Even though it's rated at up to 85MBPS it connected at 19MBPS. It took 7 hours to download "The Beast" in 1080P and when I tried to watch it the picture jumped all over the screen. I expected it to take a while to download a show at 1080P resolution but didn't expect the show to be unwatchable. Does anyone know if a wireless ethernet bridge would perform better?

Thanks in advance for your help.

If you do a search for "The Beast", you will find a few other threads on this. To summarize ... people have had not a lot of success with the Dish Online downloads and "The Beast". I do not think anyone has actually gotten to actually go in 1080p.

I went with a gaming adapter instead of HomePlug because of concerns I had read about download speeds. As for the jumpy picture, that happened to me too so I deleted the recording and downloaded it again. This time it did play OK, all in glorious 1080i.

If you do a search for "The Beast", you will find a few other threads on this. To summarize ... people have had not a lot of success with the Dish Online downloads and "The Beast". I do not think anyone has actually gotten to actually go in 1080p.

Those who have a 1080P set that dish acccept and a high speed line that is not capped by there ISP have had no problem. I did succeed in the download the other format, since it hates SONY 1080P24 sets.

I ended up putting a small workgroup hub in each armoire. So many devices want ethernet now that it was just easier. Downstairs I have the blueray (firmware + netflix) / dish 722 / laptop dock / and upstairs I have the second 722 / and my hd-dvd.

Wireless, I have my blackberry, wii and my wifes cell.

I had to setup reserved entries in the DHCP just to keep track of everything. :)

As far as you connection speed goes, as long as you are exceeding your internet connection then its not that big of a deal. The ethernet hub upstairs is older and is actually on 10 Mbps, but my comcast is about that so it doesn't matter too much.

Is there any sort of free movie content on demand? I've had D* and Comcast before Dish, Comcast has great on demand functionality (really the only thing going for them) and D*'s was pretty good if you had premium movie packages, but I can't find much that doesn't cost money at least where I'm looking in the interface...

Will the Slinglink Turbo Powerline Ethernet Adapter work for a connection between my router and the ethernet port on the 722? Anybody using this model? Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts