Dish Locals

john81

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 18, 2009
North Pole
Was wondering what FOX/NBC/CBS/ABC channels come with one of Dish's AT packages. From my understanding NO distant locals are offered. And so if I choose not to add my city's own locals, i would be getting no FOX/NBC/CBS/ABC at all?

Also how are the Superstations sold? Do they come bundled with any movie packages?

Cheers

First, the local channels that claim your area (DMA) (see TV Market Maps) own the programming from the network in that area and have the exclusive rights (as in to EXCLUDE others with the same programming) for that area. Current laws no longer allow satellite companies to circumvent these contractual agreements between the network and the stations. Those who live in a truly unserved area (no way to receive locals WITH AN OUTSIDE ANTENNA can subscribe to distant network channels via All American Direct once they qualify through that service. AAD offers network channels in STANDARD DEFINITION ONLY from Atlanta and San Francisco.

Dish Network is barred by court injuction PERMENANTLY from selling out of market network TV stations under the current law.

Dish does offer CW Network stations KTLA Los Angeles, KWGN Denver, WPIX New York; MyTV station WWOR; and Independent WSBK Boston for $1.50 each or $5.99 for all per month.
The 5 stations listed above are the last 5 remaining super stations in the country.

See ya
Tony

See ya
Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony.

So to conclude, Time Shifting (Both East and West ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX Locals) are NOT available for regular DISH customers living in a metro area?

Also, are the superstations offered in SD AND HD feeds for the $1.50/each or $6.00 for all? And they are NOT included with a premium movie package?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Tony.

So to conclude, Time Shifting (Both East and West ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX Locals) are NOT available for regular DISH customers living in a metro area?
This is what dual tuner DVRs are for. :)
The DVR is much more than just a fancy VCR. With a dual tuner DVR you can record 2 channels while watching a recording. If you have an HD dual tuner DVR they include an OTA tuner with an antenna you could record 3 programs while watching a 4th program.

For example, Wednesday I have my timers set as follows:
8pm
OTA American Idol

9pm
TV1 Lie to Me
TV2 Life
OTA Lost

10pm
TV2 Life on Mars
OTA Law & Order

I get home from work at about 9:30pm. I'll start watching "Lost" before it ends recording. I'll finish watching Lost in about 40 minutes and start watching Life on Mars from the beginning by 10:15. I'll probably catch up to "real time" by the 10:45 commercial break. I will watch the rest at my leisure. I also have both letterman and leno set to record so I can catch both monologues and "bits".

Also, are the superstations offered in SD AND HD feeds for the $1.50/each or $6.00 for all? And they are NOT included with a premium movie package?

Thanks

As stated above, Super Stations are not available in HD outside their respective TV markets. They probably never will. There is a very good possibility that the law that ALLOWS super stations to exist will be allowed to expire at the end of this year. So enjoy them while you can!

Super Stations are not available as part of any package. They are only available a la carte bundled together or individually.

Remember that WGN Super Station and TBS are not "super stations" any more, they are cable channels and both are available as part of AT200/100 respevely. There is no WTBS any more (it's WPCH). WGN channel 9 Chicago and WGN Super Station share only about 35% of the broadcast schedule.

See ya
Tony

Can't wait till the 722k or 922 comes out with dual ota tuners. Then you can record 4 things at the same time. This should take care of my Thursday night conflicts.

Can't wait till the 722k or 922 comes out with dual ota tuners. Then you can record 4 things at the same time. This should take care of my Thursday night conflicts.

Why not just get a DVR Pal or build a media center PC? If you already have a decent PC all you need is a tuner card. The Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner (2 atsc on 1 card) is $110 online.

Why not just get a DVR Pal or build a media center PC? If you already have a decent PC all you need is a tuner card. The Hauppauge 2250 dual tuner (2 atsc on 1 card) is $110 online.

I actually have the dvr pal plus from Echostar ,but it is in the master bedroom and I often forget to go see what is recorded there. All most all of my tv watching takes place in the living room or the computer room behind it. I only watch in the bedroom at night before I go to bed sometimes. My wife uses the dvr pal plus for watching soaps, news, football for the Dallas Cowboys.

I actually have the dvr pal plus from Echostar ,but it is in the master bedroom and I often forget to go see what is recorded there. All most all of my tv watching takes place in the living room or the computer room behind it. I only watch in the bedroom at night before I go to bed sometimes. My wife uses the dvr pal plus for watching soaps, news, football for the Dallas Cowboys.

I hear ya. I have media center PCs thoughout and all are networked so finding recorded content to watch anywhere isn't usually a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts