Benefits of MRV dvr

Vizio2

Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
If one already has 2 hd/dvr's what advantages are there to having 1hd/dvr feeding another room? Also, how many tv's can be hooked up? Is the signal Hd? Can HD recivers be converted to a DVR? Is there a thread already started that has these details and others? Thanks for any help.

Right now MRV is only HD DVR-> HD STB, the rumor is that HD DVR<->HD DVR will be coming soon.

As for your question of what advantages are there:

- Start watching a recording on one DVR and then finish watching it on the other DVR without having to record it on both.
- Got 3 or 4 shows you want to record at the same time, set them up on the other DVR and then you can use MRV to watch it on the other DVR.

You can't convert a HD receiver to a DVR but the current implementation allows a HD receiver to view a recording that's on a HD DVR. You can't schedule recordings, delete recordings, modify series links or the like. Each TV still needs a receiver, either a HD receiver or a HD DVR, this isn't like Dish where their DVR has a TV2 output that feeds a NTSC signal to a 2nd TV. When playing a recording using MRV it plays in HD if it's HD or SD if recorded in SD, plus if it's DD5.1 audio that will also be supplied via MRV.

Does it matter which model non-DVR you have? My non-DVR units are HD-20 and HD-21. I forced a download on the HD-20 last night but afterward it would not unlock the codes.

You've confused us. there is no HD20/21. There is the HR series (hd dvr) and the H series (non-dvr HD receiver).

What on earth do you mean about it would not unlock the codes?

You've confused us. there is no HD20/21. There is the HR series (hd dvr) and the H series (non-dvr HD receiver).

What on earth do you mean about it would not unlock the codes?

Sorry, H20 and H21. The box says (HD) H21.

I tried iamanedgecutter and it did not seem work.

Sorry, H20 and H21. The box says (HD) H21.

I tried iamanedgecutter and it did not seem work.

What software version does you H21 show? Also what version of the H21 do you have? The model of the receiver will be H21-xxx.

If you did a CE download on a H21 then the software level should be 0x42ce, if not then it didn't work.

If you did the edgecutter correctly then when you go into the menus, then "Parental, Fav's & Setup" there will be a Miscellaneoud Options selection, in there you need to turn MultirooDVR on.

If you've done all that you need to go back and make sure that the network connection on both the H21 and the HD DVR are working correctly.

If you did a CE download on a H21 then the software level should be 0x42ce, if not then it didn't work.

If you did the edgecutter correctly then when you go into the menus, then "Parental, Fav's & Setup" there will be a Miscellaneoud Options selection, in there you need to turn MultirooDVR on.

If you've done all that you need to go back and make sure that the network connection on both the H21 and the HD DVR are working correctly.

Excuse my ignorance. I have an HR20-700, H21-200 and H20-100 in my setup. The HR20-700 is networked to high speed DSL.

I tried twice to download the new release on the H21-200 and the H20-100 Saturday night and it appeared to be upgrading the H20-100, but no Misc Options in the PFS. The H21-200 would not upgrade. I suspected this might because the receiver is out in my shop and does not a phone connection. I have since learned you don't need a phone connection to get the upgrade. So, I don't know why it wouldn't upgrade.

I just learned yesterday that I need a network connection on each of the receivers, which I just ordered from DTV. Hopefully once it connects I'll be able grab the next download window. I'm a glutten for anything new so I'll try any upgrade that comes down the pike.

Again please excuse my ignorance, but I'm learning. I've been a directv subscriber since it first became available many, many years ago, but just started looking into these cutting edge downloads.

Your receiver does not need to be network connected to download the CE. It does need to be connected to make use of MRV though. If you want to use MRV on all of your receivers you will need to replace the H20.

Again please excuse my ignorance, but I'm learning. I've been a directv subscriber since it first became available many, many years ago, but just started looking into these cutting edge downloads.

No problem. Everybody was new at one time. You will learn as you move along with the process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)