Best advice for watching directv on a pc.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

twizt3dsist3r

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 15, 2009
Pennsylvania, United States
Hey guys im looking for ideas on hooking up or mirroring a receiver onto my pc, first off i would like to say im not looking for directv2pc as i already use that, but to actually be able to watch live tv on my pc using an existing receiver. H24 to be specific, I can currently hook it up using hdmi, as there is no tv connected to this box or in this room (living room tv died, need to go shopping) but when i get my new tv, and mine comes back to my bedroom i would need to use component or composite. HD is not required but would be nice. I know im looking for some sort of capture card, but not sure what to look for exactly. The remote is rf already, and I will also state as a former installer, I can run any wires anywhere through walls to make this happen. Basically im looking for advice on products for my pc. the videocards are Nvidia GTX 480s in SLI, and the moniter is a Newegg.com - ASUS VG236HE Black 23" 1920X1080 2ms Height,Swivel & Tilt Adjustable Full HD 3D Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 100,000:1 (yes i have glasses but 3d is not important)

what im looking for is sorta like how you can resize the 2pc app so you can watch and use the compy at the same time. Id like something like that, but the monitor has no speakers, so sound has to come from the pc. And im not looking to run hdmi to the moniter, then sound to the line input on the pc seperately, but yes i know i can do that.

Thanks for any input :)

Kitty

Also I was contemplating SLING, but thats not exactly what i want, i know i can stream content, but im moreso looking to just watch the receiver on this computer, complete with guide, menu etc. strictly watching the audio/video feed from the box through an application on my computer.

Last edited:
Depending upon what type of connections you have on your monitor, why not go directly from the H24 to the monitor?

the moniter is a Newegg.com - ASUS VG236HE Black 23" 1920X1080 2ms Height,Swivel & Tilt Adjustable Full HD 3D Widescreen LCD Monitor 400 cd/m2 100,000:1 (yes i have glasses but 3d is not important)

what im looking for is sorta like how you can resize the 2pc app so you can watch and use the compy at the same time. Id like something like that, but the monitor has no speakers, so sound has to come from the pc. And im not looking to run hdmi to the moniter, then sound to the line input on the pc seperately, but yes i know i can do that.

because then i would not be able to use the computer and watch tv at the same time, also as quoted, moniter has no speakers. Ive done some further research and havnt found any sort of capture cards to handle component with audio or hdmi. This may not be possible.

looked at a bunch of their cards, unless you can point out something specific, everything is analog input or setup for digicable, so i would be looking at a channel 3 deal in sd. Was hoping for hd, but this looks like it may have to do... anything you know about haugepauge that you could recommend?

I would also add to the discussion i have no interest in recording anything to a pc, or archiving, im happy with my dvrs, i just wanna watch live tv while working on my computer.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts