Best bet for shortest wait on 921?

YourNameHere

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2004
Hello,

Ready to purchase the 921 (like the rest of the world) and was wondering what the best route would be for the shortest wait time. Are there any places with will be more likely to get me one faster than another (ie. VSSLL etc)?

My local dealers haven't even heard of the 921 and I argued with a guy the other day that swore the 721 was an HD dvr. So I am pretty sure it will be months and months before anyone in my area will have them.

Also, I was a dish network customer about 3 years ago but haven't been one since. Do you think I would qualify for a "new customer" promo? I had heard before that you could qualify if you have not been a customer for X number of years.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

JC

Try the smaller retailers that are unlikely to have a long waiting list. If you are number one on a little retailers list vs. 87 on DishDepot's you will probably get one faster with the little guy. Plus you will probably get the owner to deliver it as he gets to see what all the fuss is about.

shortest wait? right here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3069051113&category=32845

but you'll pay.

Isn't it amazing how little these local dealers know about their own product? I can't believe how ignorant they are! Today I got into it with a dealer who insisted I didn't know what I was talking about when he tried to tell me the 8PSK module on the 6000 was to receive locals. I had inquired about an 8VSB module and he tried to sell me the 8PSK in it's place. How is it that so many people in the business don't know what they are talking about?
Were they all flippin burgers at McDonalds yesterday and got fired for not being smart enough for that? I was amazed how many never heard of the 921. Another thing every one I spoke with, about a dozen dealers, claims they are the only authorized Dish dealer in town. I really got that feeling I was on a whole different level of the species during my visits with Dish Network/DirecTV dealers. At least one in town is on the ball, no BS, and the straight info and he is not afraid to say he doesn't know when he doesn't.

Tell me about it...the "installer" of my 811 thought it was a PVR because of the PVR buttonsthe on the UHF pro remote....

Don Landis said:
Isn't it amazing how little these local dealers know about their own product? I can't believe how ignorant they are! Today I got into it with a dealer who insisted I didn't know what I was talking about when he tried to tell me the 8PSK module on the 6000 was to receive locals. I had inquired about an 8VSB module and he tried to sell me the 8PSK in it's place. How is it that so many people in the business don't know what they are talking about?
Were they all flippin burgers at McDonalds yesterday and got fired for not being smart enough for that? I was amazed how many never heard of the 921. Another thing every one I spoke with, about a dozen dealers, claims they are the only authorized Dish dealer in town. I really got that feeling I was on a whole different level of the species during my visits with Dish Network/DirecTV dealers. At least one in town is on the ball, no BS, and the straight info and he is not afraid to say he doesn't know when he doesn't.

LOL! DISH just posted this in the Alerts section of the dealer web site:
Did you know that the 921 is a dual tuner with HD and DVR capabilities?
It is available in the Free DISH promotion only....

I guess you're right. Too many were clueless about it. Most just worry about the bread and butter units like the 301/311. Most don't get that many inquiries for higher end receivers, and wouldn't want to have to stock the expensive units. A lot of dealers have been burned by DISH lowering the MSRP and wholesale prices with NO notice. Another good example would be the 811 upgrade promo where the dealer cost is almost $400 and DISH was selling them direct for $149.

I too am amazed at other retailers who don't keep up with current models and promotions. It seems that they get stuck in a rut with their favorite promo and forget to check and see if anything new is available.

There are good retailers out there, though. You just have to ask the right questions to find the right one!

Out of stock on VSSLL site, but the keyboard at the bottom of the 921 page looks pretty darn cool.

Looks like I will give VSSLL a call Monday and see if they have a feel for how long it will take to get one from them. I can't believe someone here ordered on 12/31 and received it on 1/2. I have a feeling it would take my local dealer 2 weeks of phone calls to Dish to even find out how to order one.

Both of the local retailers that I have been dealing with are aware of the 921. One dealer had three but I just missed him by a day because I assumed I was getting one from DishDepot.com. But DishDepot initially was only sent one. I was eighth on there preorder list. I canceled by spot on the preorder list because I thought it was not going any where. But the last I heard they had released four. I found another local retailer and put a $100 deposit by credit card on it yesterday, Jan 6th. They ordered this morning and Dish would only send them three 921's. I am getting one of the three. If everything goes well, I hope to pick it up from the retailer by Friday. He is only about eight miles from where I live and about four from where I work. I will now have a 501 a 811 and the 921 hooked to all DishPro equipment. I will have an extra 301.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)