Best blind scan receiver for HD signals?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sambo2

Original poster
Jul 16, 2009
Virginia (Near Roanoke)
I have a ten-foot bud with corotor II and C/ku linear LNBs. I’m interested mostly in sports feeds and plan to get an Azbox premium when they become available in the USA. I have a GI 920 which I plan to use to move the dish and change polarity. Since the Azbox does not have blind scan I will need a third receiver to do that. Does the blind scan in receivers like the Pansat 3500 or Fortec Mercury II work for HD signals? Would one of those receivers be a good choice? Any suggestions?

...and plan to get an Azbox premium when they become available in the USA.
The AZ Box is available in the US, Ebay has the best prices.

Does the blind scan in receivers like the Pansat 3500 or Fortec Mercury II work for HD signals?
Those will work fine for "DVB-S" HD signals, but not for "DVB-S2" signals, which are becoming more popular. Just something to consider.
A receiver like the Vantage 1100 does a great job Blind Scanning both types of signals, but has some viewing issues.
There is no perfect solution.

Sambo2 if you want give it 1-3 months see if the AZbox gets the blind scan for now the best blind scan receiver but for SD would probably be the Traixis 3500.

here in Europe we have a bunch of blind scan hardware dvb-s2 HD receivers

Vantage HD8000 - Jepssen ST3 HD (twin receivers, both OEM, first is german second italian): HD mpeg2/mpeg.4 h.264, PVR (internal sata, external sata-USB 2.0), blind scan hardware (steps selectable from 1 to 4 mhz), 2 slot CI, 2 cardreaders, twin tuners (available dvb-s2x2 or dvb-s2/dvb-c or dvb-s2/dvb-t)

Clarke Tech HD5000 plus - Technomate 6900 plus (twin receivers, both OEM, first is german second british): HD mpeg2/mpeg.4 h.264, PVR (internal sata, external sata-USB 2.0), blind scan hardware, 2 slot CI, 2 cardreaders, twin tuners (available dvb-s2x2 or dvb-s2/dvb-t)

me I'm having fun with the first model, blind scan is very sensible both on dvb-s and dvb-s2 signal, no probs with dvb-s2 high symbolrates (I scanned BBC service channels at 27.5west with 39777 sr)

none of them is 4:2:2 capable, as actually the only option to get HD 4:2:2 feeds is Azbox HD

me I'm having fun with the first model, blind scan is very sensible both on dvb-s and dvb-s2 signal, no probs with dvb-s2 high symbolrates (I scanned BBC service channels at 27.5west with 39777 sr)
The problem with high symbol rates on the Vantage isn't scanning them, as I can scan a 45000 ms/s signal on Telstar 12. The problem is when a single HD channel at about 35 Mbit or higher occupies the whole signal (this is what a lot of North American sports feeds do) then there is a stutter in the video. If 2 or more channels are sharing the bandwidth there is usually no problem. I don't know what the exact bandwidth limitation is to create the problem, but when the Vantage reports a bitrate at 90000 or greater then it stutters...less than that it's usually OK.

The Vantage tuner is very sensitive, and although the blind scan is relatively slow (I'm used to the Traxis 3500 which is a rocket) it misses very little. I admit though I scan in areas where there are a lot of skinny signals clustered together so I often use the 2 Mhz setting, and that about doubles the scan time.

The problem with high symbol rates on the Vantage isn't scanning them, as I can scan a 45000 ms/s signal on Telstar 12. The problem is when a single HD channel at about 35 Mbit or higher occupies the whole signal (this is what a lot of North American sports feeds do) then there is a stutter in the video. If 2 or more channels are sharing the bandwidth there is usually no problem. I don't know what the exact bandwidth limitation is to create the problem, but when the Vantage reports a bitrate at 90000 or greater then it stutters...less than that it's usually OK.
yes ACRadio, issue is with high bitrate not with high symbol rates

btw here in Europe very high bitrates are pretty rare actually as most of the providers now use dvb-s2 and h.264, that allows much lower bitrates for sports feeds too

Status
Please reply by conversation.