Best Bundle Deal???

shanewalker

Overall, an O.K. Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 15, 2005
KC/MO!
Alright. We're closing on a new home in a week...and one remaining conundrum is what the route for TV/Internet/Phone service should be.

Like to go back to Dish, have a mod 622 I'd love to fire up again--and the HD pack sounds like a good fit for our viewing needs.

But, we were forced to Comcast last year at our previous place in Skokie, and actually really liked it...it didn't suffer from rain fade and On Demand was great. Don't have Comcast in Overland Park, KS, but TimeWarner is pretty similar, I assume.

And, well, we just bought iPhones and so now we're curious about U-Verse. Plus, we've long had SBC-->ATT for internet (DSL) and wouldn't mind carrying forward w/ our long-standing e-mail addresses.

We want good speed internet, but doesn't need to be crazy fast; we want decent HD selection and love good DVR functionality, but don't watch much more than basic cable fare otherwise (have PS3/XBox/Blu-ray for HD movie rental); and we need a land line because of our security system (Brinks, now Broadview), but don't use the phone that much.

So, I'm not sure what to do for the right balance of good service and best monthly outlay. Anyone have some suggestions? Kudos? Warnings? Killer bundle deals lurking about?

Oh well...no bites.

I went ahead and made the appointment to get Dish service. Two rooms (with the idea to maximize my Slingboxes and RemoteTV to move signal to a small TV in the kitchen), down from 3 previously. Trying to contain my extra room/DVR surcharges...that stuff adds up big time. I'm going w/ the TurboHD Gold--though I read a LOT of gripes/drama about that programming line, it seems to fit our viewing needs, so fingers crossed.

Two things that worry me right now...

1) the trees in our new back yard. After closing on the new house and subsequent visits, I'm afraid that without some serious trimming of the forest in back, we're in the same 'line-of-sight' red zone that we were w/ our place back in Skokie. My hope is that with Eastern Arc now in place (wasn't live when we were last attempting to get service), and with a high pitched roof, there's a chance for signal.

2) The fact that I'm reactivating an owned 622 caused a lot of wrinkles w/ my order; I was on the phone w/ 3 separate customer service folk (ended up w/ the Exec dept due to my past solid standing) for over 2-1/2 hours! I ended up having to roll over and accept a 2yr contract to get past some red tape that was going to hang up my install. I hope this isn't a portent of bad things/service to come...I really loved Dish and my 722/622/222 combo back in the day. But now there's no Voom lineup and time's being what they are, I hope the worst hasn't come out in my old sat friend.

Any advice--should I drop this whole affair and run screaming to the arms of Time-Warner or AT&T U-verse or what?! There's still time...I have until the 28th.

Don't get TurboHD. Go with anything but a TurboHD package. You are being warned right now. Comcast, Time Warner, ANYTHING is better than TurboHD.

It is difficult for cable to offer the television features that are standard on satellite. However, I question the value in reactivating old equipment when the new stuff is generally free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)