best c band sat for kids programming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Howdy folks,
I am going to be mounting the pole for my 6' mesh c band dish tonight. I want to set this dish up for my daughters system, currently she is getting g10, pbs and audio from 119.

I am going to set this up as a fixed dish so that I dont have to run ribbon cable, setup a dish mover, etc. Since I am not running ribbon cable, and this feedhorn uses a polarotor, ideally I would like a sat that has all the good channels on 1 polarity, at least till i can lay hands on a c band LNBF. Also, these need to be non ac-3 channels as the satworks doesnt do ac-3.

What c band sat do you folks recommend that has the best programming suitable for an 11 y/o? I am leaning towards amc4, that sat seems to have the most family orientated programming on it.

Iceberg,
What I am doing is setting up my system so that most of the programming is coming off of fixed dish's, while leaving my 10' bud free to roam. As we dont watch the nets much, I am going to use the BUD for those channels when I want them.

Currently I am running 3 recievers, and (after tonight) 6 dishs. I have splitters and dc blocks on the cable from my g10 / amc3 dishs and my 10' bud so that those dishs are feeding all 3 recievers via diseqc switches. I will be doing the same setup on the 6' mesh once I figure out where to point it.

The 18" dish's are going to be feeding only 2 recievers, the one in the front room and the one in the kids room, as I dont really need audio channels in my bedroom.

There is a channel on IA5 ku that would be appropriate for an 11 year old, called SOAC (Smile Of A Child) and with it is JCTV, which should also be appropriate. That's only 2 channels, but I think there may be more (in numbers) on AMC4.

Al

Thanks for the suggestion Voomvoom, I will have to head my BUD over there tonight and take a look at them.

DrHydro
There is the TBN “mux” on IA5 KU which is religious type programming
TBN
TBN Espanol
Church Channel
JCTV (music videos with a religious theme…this is pretty good..they play some good videos)
Smile of a Child

Also there is Games N Flix movies & music (2 channels) and FTV (Fashion TV) :D

Thanks Iceberg, will be checking those out tonight. Now I just have to figure out how to get this all wired up lol.

May not be what you are looking for... on 121 there is:

FUSE (MTV-like channel, check audio PID - has AC3 and MPG Audio)
Sportsman Channel (Also AC3 & MPG)
Euronews (AC3 only :( )
The Soundtrack Channel (more music videos - can't remember if AC3)
America One
The Documentary Channel

Thanks Shawn, that looks like a good choice, as soon as i can figure out how i am going to wire all of this (see my thread on dc blocks/ multiple recievers) I might even be able to hook up one more c band feedhorn so i can get 2 sats off the one 6' fixed dish.

Tony,
the main problems that i see with trying 2 c band feedhorns on one dish is going to be:
1) spacing, the darn scalar rings are big so sats are going to have to be fairly far apart
2) diminished signal because of more of the dish being blocked.
But I am going to try it anyways, just cause I can ;-)

Doc, I don't see why it wouldn't work. It would just be another offset lnb for the dish. The only problem (if it's a problem) would be mounting the lnb and finding a/the sat. Good luck and keep us updated. I have 3 C-band dishes laying around without any drives for them. I've considered trying a project like this. If it's a prime focus dish, just mount it to the east or west, on the arc, for whichever sat you're trying for. If you mount the lnb's like they do on a torodial dish, across the arc, it shouldn't be to hard. If you try it like the tipical offset dish, it wouldn't be as easy, but it's still do-able. Your finds could be helpful.

Al

Voom,
I also think it is do-able, and should be a fun project for after i get the 6'er all hooked up. I am going to "mount" the pole for the 6'er tonight, so hopefully this weekend I can play with this idea.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts