This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Best deal for a new subscriber?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bear

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 29, 2004
I am considering ditching cable and going with D* and the HD TiVo. I am planning on doing the install myself, since I have already wired the rest of house and home theater myself (e.g. Cat5 everywhere; RG-6QS everywhere; Component, DVI (what a pain!) and speaker cable in the HT; etc.). I would attach the dish to the chimney and then swing the cable in through a gable directly into our attic where my OTA UHF antenna resides (great HD reception for locals).

For equipment, I assume I need to purchase:
  • HR10-250 HD TiVo,
  • Phase III Triple LNB dish,
  • Mounting hardware, and
  • Diplexer

I've got all of the tools and wire I need, so I expect the hardest part to be aiming the dish, but that's what cordless phones with intercoms are for! (and I'm not averse to picking up some new toys, either)

The problem with this plan is that D* doesn't have any deals out there for folks like me (I understand that many of us DIYers aren't nearly as good as we think we are, but I'll pay for the service call if I'm wrong...). What's the best way to get the best deal on service credits for this plan? At what level should I set my expectations? I doubt I'll get as good of a deal as some of the long-term subscribers, but I would like to get a rough equivalent to the hardware and install deals being offered to folks who haven't spent as much time in their attics as I have!

Later,
Bill

Bill check out Value Electronics at the top of the page, First class outfit!

Peter - I've looked at the ad multiple times making sure I understood what was needed for D*, but they don't seem to offer anything different than anyone else from a product perspective (nice people and all, I'm sure). I'll drop them a note to see if they can help, just in case. Thanks!

Bill

Bear, being a satelliteguys member will net you a discount, 10% I believe.

Neutron - Thanks! I perhaps should have been more clear. I've looked at VE's website extensively while shopping, and as I said, I'll give VE a call, but I was hoping for other pointers, especially for working with D*.

Later,
Bill

From what I've read on this forum I can tell you D* will not be very receptive to self installs. In there eyes that nets more service calls, and that's why they push for pro installation.

It wouldn't be that big of a deal if they just charged more appropriately for the follow-up service call to fix what us duffers couldn't manage! However, I see their point, too, about making sure customers can actually get their service so that they are actually willing to pay for it.

Later,
Bill

I think Expert Sat is the best.

They call they only use good quality contractors for the installs. Any they follow up and verify the installer and the work they do.

All the others, just use what ever contractor is next in the que.

Scott - It doesn't look like they actually carry the HD TiVo. Without the HD TiVo, I wouldn't be looking at D*.

Later,
Bill

One advantage to value electronics is not only are they a sponser here, but they also frequent this forum and will take care of any problem that should arise from your order and install.

I'm not expecting any problems with my installer...

<mpd>
Yes, you are.

Shhhh. No, I'm not. Be quiet, they might hear you.

Oh, trying to oppress me again, eh? Well, I've had about enough of this.

Be quiet!

Come and see the violence inherent in the system!
</mpd>

Later,
Bill

Sound like me, I like to do my own installs. I actually enjoy doing the work myself.

Thanks for the link. I'm planning to jump on this offer too. I'm also thinking about a DIY install, and this looks like it has everything I need except some cables and an OTA antenna. I'm just doing a 1 room setup, so if I ran 2 cables from the dish, and 1 from the antenna, I wouldn't need any switches or diplexers right? Also, if I ever decide to cancel Direct TV, could I still use this equipment for OTA HD?

You may want to post a separate thread on this, but my guess is that without D* service, it is mostly a boat anchor.

Later,
Bill

I would be careful of the $699 deal. It does say cannot be combined with any other offers. I know the basic D* install offer includes up to $430 in credits. This is to pay for the installation and "free" equipment (Dish, LNB, receivers, etc...).

Are those credits on the customer side or the vendor side, i.e. would D* offer me up to $430 in stuff after I sign up, or is that an amount typically given to them? If it is stuff that is given to the customer when they sign up, then we will have to see. I tried calling D* multiple times, and the best they would do for me is the current multi-room installation.

Later,
Bill

I got that figure from my sales guy at Hi Fi Buys (Tweeter). He said that how the Free three room install works is it is a $429 credit that applies for new subscribers. So I could use the credit to get the following:

SD TIVO - $99
Equipment - $79
(Dish, LNB, cable, etc..)
Installation Fee - $200 (3-room - but I would two of the "rooms" cables go to one room for the TIVO)
Regular Receiveer - $49

For a total of $427, which just about equals the credit. I guess this is how the "free installs" work behind the scenes for vendors liek Hi Fi Buys. The end result is I get $429 to use how I wish.

Interesting. I had hoped that it worked somewhat like that, but NONE of the folks to whom I talked would come close to giving me the a la carte option like that. Given the defensiveness of the minidishes.tv guys over the self-install thing, I think that your sales guy might have been a little too up-front with you. That, or they are the ones with whom I should have been dealing!

$200 for installation, huh? That definitely makes the $50 credit that folks were offering seem pretty paltry...

Later,
Bill

Status
Please reply by conversation.