Best Direct TV receiver?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ifan

Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
I am in looking to buy a new HD receiver for Direct TV. Does anyone have any suggestions as the best HD receiver (without tivo) in terms of picure quality and number/flexibility of outputs HDMI, DVI etc)?

Well since you want the NEW make/model without a TiVo DVR, you can only get the following right now:

H10: newest HD but MPEG2 only.

H20: newest HD MPEG2/MPEG4, needs 5 LNB dish for MPEG4 use.

HR20: newest HD MPEG2/MPEG4, needs 5 LNB dish for MPEG4 use, has non-TiVo based DVR.

Last edited:
elwaylite said:
Had the R15 for 3 mo's and love it

HR10-250 tivo is nice but sloooooooooooooooooow

Just got HR20, loving it so far

When you say slooooooooooooooooow, are you referring to the speed of the guide? If so, the new software upgrade, 6-3, took car of that problem. Got my upgrade last night and the entire page of the guide just pops up instantly, when ever you change pages. Big improvement.

Do they have the HR20 where it receives OTA HD locals yet?

Yeah, I meant the guide. I never got the update before I dropped it for the HR20. I like the tivo software, BUT I also like the software and features on the D* receivers. Small things like the screen saver are cool. The HR20 does not yet have OTA.

elwaylite said:
Yeah, I meant the guide. I never got the update before I dropped it for the HR20. I like the tivo software, BUT I also like the software and features on the D* receivers. Small things like the screen saver are cool. The HR20 does not yet have OTA.

I am going to wait for the OTA section to get activated before I change mine over to a HR20. Right now I currently get 29 local HD or digital OTA signals and D* only give me 4 of them via satellite. The OTA signal is a lot cleaner and has a lot less break up, than the ones D* gives us. Sometimes the D* MPG4 signal looks like frames are missing, like an old movie.

lou_do said:
I am going to wait for the OTA section to get activated before I change mine over to a HR20. Right now I currently get 29 local HD or digital OTA signals and D* only give me 4 of them via satellite. The OTA signal is a lot cleaner and has a lot less break up, than the ones D* gives us. Sometimes the D* MPG4 signal looks like frames are missing, like an old movie.
What is D* doing to fix this mpeg4 problem ?
Doesn't DISH have a working mpeg4 system, could they take notes from them ? or are they entirely different types of signals.

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
What is D* doing to fix this mpeg4 problem ?
Doesn't DISH have a working mpeg4 system, could they take notes from them ? or are they entirely different types of signals.

Jimbo

I haven't heard much about what they are doing, to resolve the problem. It could be something as simple as a software fix.

I wonder if the picture breakup is the same way on the HR20, as it is on the H20. Can anyone that has a HR20 answer this, "Do the D* MPG4 locals break up and look like they are skipping frames, on the HR20"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts