Best Dish for Galaxy 17 / 97W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

workjohnout

Original poster
Jul 6, 2005
Poconos
I started out with the typical Winegard 90cm round dish. Because I think I'm so smart, I changed it out for one of those huge round fiberglass dishes with the red lightning bolt across it since I thought it would look "cooler" on my roof. Now I can't get the signal above 70 (I'm using the same LNB). It hits 99 but then when I lock it down it falls back to the 60's (no fine adjustments). Problem is, when I unmounted the Winegard I tossed it off the 2 story roof and took great pleasure in watching it smash on the ground. Now I'm wishing I hadn't done that.

My question is this: what's the best dish to use for G17 @ 97w? I have the following dishes to choose from: the one that's up there now (Mr. Lightning Bolt), DTV World Direct, or I even have an old oval Primestar. Or should I just get another Winegard 90cm?

Thanks in advance
wjo

any dish 90cm or bigger should work fine if aimed properly....

i dont really understand though....what was the problem in the first place? :confused:

you had a perfectly working dish and smashed it on the ground?

Since I own two Andrew dishes with the cool red lightning bolt I totally understand why you would change dishes. Your problem is using a LNB designed for a small dish. It is only seeing a small portion of your large dish. If you post a picture of your dish and its size we could suggest what LNB to use.

Jim

...Because I think I'm so smart, I changed it out for one of those huge round fiberglass dishes with the red lightning bolt across it since I thought it would look "cooler" on my roof... Problem is, when I unmounted the Winegard I tossed it off the 2 story roof and took great pleasure in watching it smash on the ground. Now I'm wishing I hadn't done that.

ROFLMBO! Sorry. Which of us has not done something dumb we regretted later? And that avatar... best I've seen in a while, really makes a statement! Seriously though, I have had similar problems with dishes. Since your signal was 99 before you locked it down, sounds like something is moving when you tighten it down. What has worked for me in the past is, trying to anticipate which way the thing is moving when you lock it down, setting for a slightly lower Q, then while tightening, having it "adjust itself into higher Q".
ss ><>

Last edited:
Actually, those fiberglass ones with the red lightning bolt are very good dishes, far better than any stamped metal dish. If you were near me, I'd certainly trade you another 90CM stamped metal dish for your fiberglass dish. Something must be out of adjustment, most likely with the feed support or LNB/feedhorn assembly. Could you post some pictures, especially of the feed assembly?

I love my 2 lightning bolts! They are Andrews Type 120... 1.2M that I have. One of them isnt being used anymore since i got my WSI 6ft rig... Anyone in my area wants it, its for sale. But, they do work great as a mini-Bud... even with the LNB taped to the arms haha... and on Ku they are killer.

But pointing them can be fun, like any other VSAT. When you tighten the Az bolts it will twist on the mount so slightly, enough to go from a 90 to a 60 some times. The trick is to do 1turn per bolt, check sig, adjust, repeat till tight.

Great dish, heavy too... Dont throw that one off the roof.

P.S. My display pic is my lightning bolt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)