Best dish position to survive high winds

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cracklincrotch

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I've got hurricane Bill coming my way, Cat 1. Winds start off north-east, and over time swing around across the south and on to north-west.

The dish is 7.5 foot mesh. The pole is 3" diameter, 1/4" aluminum wall, cement filled. The pole is 7' out of the ground, 40" in ground.

Should I leave the dish at true south, or move the dish to point away from the wind as the wind direction changes?

Well I am not an expert,,,,but I use to live in Cancun,Mexico and probably went through about 20 hurricanes,,,,,,,avoid having yr bud facing directly into the wind,,,,,try and keep it sideways,,,,,when the wind shifts go by feel,,,,if you still have light,,,,,,keep turning

By having it to true south,,,it is at it's highest elevation like a flying saucer ready for lift off,,,,,,,

What I would be worried the most would be for flying objects to damage it,,,,

Just remember,,,be safe,,,if it gets damaged,,there are plenty out there,,,,,just take care of yrself and yr family,,,

Good luck !!!

Thank god it's a cat 1 and not cat 4 or 5 !!!!

Cheers,,,

If you don t have time to take it down,,,I would probably try to either chain it down the most secure way I could to avoid the dish to fly away and becoming a dangerous missile,,,,,

Like previously said yr proyection and yr family the most important

The best position is pointing straight up, however not all elevation adjustments will allow you to do this.

Hi, I have often thought about the best position to leave the BUD for high winds as we get strong thunderstorms almost every day this time of year. My thinking is the actuator is the weak link and the best spot for it would seem to be with the actuator at or near a 90 angle to the arm that goes to the dish. That way it gets the least amount of leverage from any strong wind guest that might come. On my dish with the actuator on the west side of the dish that works out to about 10 to 15 degrees west of due south. The worst spot would seem to be with the actuator extended east. It just looks weak and likely to buckle when it is extended.

I wish you well ridding out the storm. DC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts