Best EHD for the Hopper 3

LeroyLudlow

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 13, 2005
Southern AZ
Looking to get a 2TB EHD for my Hopper 3. Any suggestions or experience appreciated. I like the look of the bookcase style as I place it right near my Hopper. Thanks all!!

Dish states the EHD should be self powered. This reduces the load on the Hopper power supply. Some report short term success, some report long term success, using USB powered EHDs.

Make your decision.

I suggest turning off the EHD when not in use.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I think Dish had a minimum capacity for external drives of 40GB. I remember that flash drives larger than that did work on VIP receivers. I have never tried it with my HWS, so I am not sure if it still works.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I believe they have raised the minimum to 500 GB
I just looked on the Dish website and here is what it says:

Connected to Hopper: minimum 320 GB, maximum 2 TB
Connected to Wally: minimum 500 GB, maximum 2 TB
Connected to other receivers: minimum 50 GB, maximum 2 TB

Dish still recommends to use a powered external drive.

I wanted to try a flash drive with my HWS, but the largest flash drive that I have is 128GB, which according to Dish is not large enough.

I have a few 250s I transferred recordings to quite some time ago. I guess I’d better check that they’re still usable. Hopefully any increase is only for formatting new.

Sigh.

The two 250s were in reserve for future use as Dish EHDs. All currently in use Dish EHDs are larger.

So I’ve plugged in a 250 Seagate Barracuda 7200.

Doesn’t even see it.

Can’t test the other tonight.

I use a toaster stile USB to SATA docking station.
So I can drop in any SATA hard drive.
All my current drives are 3.5". However if I were buying a new drive today I would be tempted to pay a bit more and go with 2.5" drives. They use less power and are more convenient to store. I like to know exactly what drives I am using, so I prefer to avoid the external drives. I never know what they put inside.

Sigh.

The two 250s were in reserve for future use as Dish EHDs. All currently in use Dish EHDs are larger.

So I’ve plugged in a 250 Seagate Barracuda 7200.

Doesn’t even see it.

Can’t test the other tonight.
So, had they already been formatted or not?

I suspect you are right. I thought sure I had smaller ones in use, but the smallest is 500.

Now I have a pile of 40, 80 and 250 HDDs, and maybe more if I look around more. Some are suspect (bearing noise). I suppose I could back up my PC to one and lock it in the safe- but not sure that’s worthwhile. I suppose I’ll just bite the bullet and smash them and recycle.

Sigh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)