Best Equipment Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jasnhrpr

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2009
Charleston, WV
I have been with DirecTV for over 4 years. I have never updated my equipment during that time. My internet service provider has bundles with Dish Network that would save me a little money and I could get a Hopper for free. I have had Dish Network in the past and I would prefer to stay with Direct. I sent an email telling them my options and asked what they could do for me. They emailed me back with a call back number with a pin that's good for 5 days and said they would be able to offer me new equipment and savings. I currently have a HR24 HDDVR and an additional HD receiver, I believe it's a H20. I would like to get a Genie upgrade for free. So should I ask for a Genie and a Genie mini for my second TV and send back the two receivers I have now, if they give me that option? I just want the most up to date set up. I wanted to know what that would be before I called and negotiated with them. Hoping to save a little on the monthly bill as well.

I would ask for a Genie, stressing you would like the HR44, not the HR34. I would keep the HR24 and get rid of the H20.

I too would take the Genie (HR44) and KEEP the HR24, bypassing the mini clients.

Keeping the HR24 allows you more tuners, the Clients share a tuner from the Genie.

Thanks for the reply's guys. My question would be, would it cost me extra fees for two dvr's? I don't really need that many tuners but if it didn't cost extra sounds like that would be my best option.

Thanks for the reply's guys. My question would be, would it cost me extra fees for two dvr's? I don't really need that many tuners but if it didn't cost extra sounds like that would be my best option.
2 dvrs ?
Vs what, a Genie and a client ?
If your saying you want a Genie and a HR24 (or client) and another DVR, then the answer is Yes, the other DVR would come at a cost.

However, seeing your trying to upgrade, I would talk to D* and see what they are offering first and then suggest to them what you would rather have and they can often work things out.

Having a 1 genie and a genie mini will cost thr exact same as 1 genie and 1 HR24.

Genie minis do not have any discount over a real receiver or dvr.

Directv you only pay the one advanced dvr fee, doesn't matter if you have 1 or 10.....

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

A HR44 Genie and a HR24 shouldn't cost you more monthly compared to your current HR24 and H20. As stated above you don't want a mini-Genie or client. DirecTV will likely offer to "upgrade" your HR24 to a client, but if anything that would be a downgrade. Unless, you like the idea of a wireless client to replace the HR24. The wireless client gives you the opportunity to move it anywhere in your house, but if that's not important to you, the HR24 is a much better option.

I have the genie and two minis. It is quite sufficient for my family of 3. Not sure why so many suggest to stay away from that setup. If you believe you need more than 5 tuners, or that you would experience DirecTV withdrawal if the genie were to go down and it would take a few days to remedy, then you should go with a setup that is different.
Sent from my Lumia Icon using Tapatalk.

Some do have a need for more than five tuners. More to the point is to have more than one dvr in case one of them fails.

Reactions: dfergie
A HR44 Genie and a HR24 shouldn't cost you more monthly compared to your current HR24 and H20. As stated above you don't want a mini-Genie or client. DirecTV will likely offer to "upgrade" your HR24 to a client, but if anything that would be a downgrade. Unless, you like the idea of a wireless client to replace the HR24. The wireless client gives you the opportunity to move it anywhere in your house, but if that's not important to you, the HR24 is a much better option.
I think I confused the situation when I said it would cost more for the HR24, I was referring to the initial lease cost to get it, not the monthly fees.

I think I confused the situation when I said it would cost more for the HR24, I was referring to the initial lease cost to get it, not the monthly fees.
Either way the cost would be identical... the hr24 is existing so you wouldn't need to pay to have it reinstalled.... the fee for the genie will include the fee for the mini if there is a fee at all which their probably will not be. Monthly fees for either setup would also be identical.

What hasn't been mentioned yet is the genie will most likely come with an additional 3/month for the mrv fee.

So I called them back and they offered me a Genie upgrade for free but I have had $20 a month credit on my accounts that just expired the day that I called. She told me that the best they could offer then was a $5 a month credit, so my bill would be going up $15 a month. That's more than I want to pay. She did say the credits may show up as being able to be offered later, it may be she couldn't offer them because they had just expired. So I passed on that. If they can't give me the same $20 a month credits I may have to take Dish Network's deal. How should I proceed?

I have a genie and a mini Genie and the mini is so sluggish that I hardly watch tv in our bedroom. As soon as I can get an hr-24 I will do so.

$5.00 a month is a complete slap in the face. Email the office of the president and see what they will offer you to stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Genie (HD/DVR) and a Mini Client so two boxes. I am getting equipment charges of $36.99 per month alone. This of course, on top of my subscription fees. I really like the DirecTV package I have but the charges really add up.

10/03/2014 Monthly Bill $208.79

10/03/2014 DIRECTV Protection Plan - Charge $7.99
10/03/2014 Advanced Receiver-DVR - Charge$10.00
10/03/2014 DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service - Charge $3.00
10/03/2014 Additional TV - 1 Client - Charge $6.00
10/03/2014 Primary TV Free - PrimaryTVFree ($6.00)
10/03/2014 Primary TV - Charge $6.00
10/03/2014 Advanced Receiver-HD - Charge $10.00
10/03/2014 PREMIER - Charge$129.99
10/03/2014 Regional Sports Fee - Charge $1.82

10/03/2014 NFL SUNDAY TICKET 2014 - Charge$39.99

I have a Genie (HD/DVR) and a Mini Client so two boxes. I am getting equipment charges of $36.99 per month alone. This of course, on top of my subscription fees. I really like the DirecTV package I have but the charges really add up.

10/03/2014 Monthly Bill $208.79

10/03/2014 DIRECTV Protection Plan - Charge $7.99
10/03/2014 Advanced Receiver-DVR - Charge$10.00
10/03/2014 DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service - Charge $3.00
10/03/2014 Additional TV - 1 Client - Charge $6.00
10/03/2014 Primary TV Free - PrimaryTVFree ($6.00)
10/03/2014 Primary TV - Charge $6.00
10/03/2014 Advanced Receiver-HD - Charge $10.00
10/03/2014 PREMIER - Charge$129.99
10/03/2014 Regional Sports Fee - Charge $1.82

10/03/2014 NFL SUNDAY TICKET 2014 - Charge$39.99
Trying to make sense of this ... $36.99, is this including your assortment of addl. recvrs ?

I see $23 worth of extras ... the recvrs are YOUR choice, not D*'s doing. (opps, missed the $1.82 for the Sports Fee, stupid idea, but again, not thier call)

The $23 includes your HD fee, DVR fee and Whole Home fee.

Btw, these are things that are charged by ALL providers, at least D* only places them on the first recvr, unlike others.

Fwiw, these fee use to Not be fees till some companies decided to charge some of them and see if thye could get away with them, they were able to so the other companies jumped in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)