Best External Hard Drive for Hopper 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DialgaChampion

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 27, 2015
New York
Looking for suggestions on which external drive to buy for my Hopper 3. I'm mainly concerned about reliability. I've had other DVR internal drives fail and lost hours of recordings, but there are so many options right now that it's hard to decide which particular drive to go with.

Only thing I've been told is that SSDs are more reliable than the internal mechanical HDDs in the receivers themselves because of a lack of mechanical parts. Other than that, I just want something that won't fail as often as the internal drives seem to do, so I don't have to worry about constantly losing my programs every time.

Anyways, any advice or help would be great.

The SSDs are LESS reliable than HDDs, because they have a limited number of read write cycles. Not appropriate for DVR use.

If you are willing to spring for the cash, get a RAID 1 enclosure with two WD Blue drives. Or WD Black, if you’re a belt and suspenders kinda guy. I have three RAID units. Looks like a single drive to the Dish receivers.

My set up, minus other single EHDs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 281

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)