Best HD TVs

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I am at the beginning stage of shopping for a 3D HD TV with Internet capability. I have always liked Sony and Panasonic in the past. I have been leaning toward LED LCD. What is the biggest difference and which is the best between edge light and back light LED? Been checking the company web sites, reading consumer reports, etc, it seems to me the Samsung TVs are more pricey. Are they better for some reason?

LCD/LEDs are more expensive than the Panasonic plasmas. Samsungs are really not that expensive in the LCD/LED realm, especially compared to the Sony.. A lot of good deals around. For best viewing with an LCD/LED, full backighthing is the best option. Not many offered it this year. I saw the Vizio (full backlighting) while walking through Sams the other day. It actually looked really, really good.

S~

teachsac is the expert here... :) I want 3D but with a FPTV, that is one thing we will be checking into at CES...

Yeah. Check out that Mits HC9000. Pretty price. Still waiting on my RS40. Production got slowed due to lack of parts. They were supposed to be back in on the 28th and shipping again.

S~

Last edited:
LCD/LEDs are more expensive than the Panasonic plasmas. Samsungs are really not that expensive in the LCD/LED realm, especially compared to the Sony.. A lot of good deals around. For best viewing with an LCD/LED, full backighthing is the best option. Not many offered it this year. I saw the Vizio (full backlighting) while walking through Sams the other day. It actually looked really, really good.

S~

Yep on the Vizio. Not a bad TV for the price. We got a good deal on a small one from Sams we put in the kitchen. Been purring right along.

Scott has 3D & has never really "walked" the floor like the rest of us, so he should have fun with us ... we were the first to see the Panasonic / Directv 3D demo stuff being set up before the show opened last year... check out our CES forum and the Satelliteguys twitter for our breaking info :)

Scott has 3D & has never really "walked" the floor like the rest of us, so he should have fun with us ... we were the first to see the Panasonic / Directv 3D demo stuff being set up before the show opened last year... check out our CES forum and the Satelliteguys twitter for our breaking info :)

OK, thanks

Some of the back lit LED LCD sets have local dimming. They can dim part of the screen if it is dark, and brighten a light section at the same time. There of course is always a compromise since if a light and dark area are side by side it pretty much will be brighter in the dark area since light usually has the priority. These tend to be the most expensive LCD sets.

Plasma of course can bighten/darken each pixel which is why they tend to do very well with real contrast tests where a variety of dark and light objects are on the screen at the same time (like a space scene).

I saw a consumer reports review saying Plasma delivers the best 3D because of less ghosting, FWIW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)