Best HDD for NAS???

There are some factors. Is the NAS going to be in a RAID? There are disks tuned to work better in a RAID. There are disks tuned for video recording, power savings, speed, etc. Essentially what are you planning on doing with your NAS? Recording surveillance 24x7? Backups? A video jukebox? All do different things.

There are some factors. Is the NAS going to be in a RAID? There are disks tuned to work better in a RAID. There are disks tuned for video recording, power savings, speed, etc. Essentially what are you planning on doing with your NAS? Recording surveillance 24x7? Backups? A video jukebox? All do different things.

Mainly pictures and videos.

Stay away from Seagate! They have proven to be quite unreliable for the last few years.

Personally, I only buy Hitachi/HGST 7200rpm drives when I need large storage.

With mainly pictures and videos you will probably want a green drive. All the drive makers have a low energy version that usually spins a bit slower. Since it is not doing multiple video streams or in use most of the time, you will probably want to save electricity.

I have had the most luck with Hitachi drives lately they have a coolspin line that has variable speed spinning depending on demand.

If you are going to stream videos to a TV or something then I would make sure it is 7200rpm and have at least 16mg cache.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)