Best media player for streaming to TV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Great timing!

I have been meaning to go get one for my home office. Was going to get another Hub, as I like that GUI better, but I will go look for this new model now since I don't really need the internal drive once it is connected to my network.

I stopped by last night at the Bestbuy closest to me and all they had were the old model. I will run over to one of the others later today. If they don't have any, I will order one online.

No, and I'm surprised that none of these hardware media players feature an OTA tuner. I guess they assume that most, if not all HDTVs out there have one built in. What I'd really like to see is an app on the WDTV Live that would allow streaming to the device from a Silicon Dust networked OTA tuner! :D

No, and I'm surprised that none of these hardware media players feature an OTA tuner.
I guess they assume that most, if not all HDTVs out there have one built in.
What I'd really like to see is an app on the WDTV Live that would allow streaming to the device from a Silicon Dust networked OTA tuner! :D
Yea, it's all too easy to switch my TV to its internal tuner, but I still like your idea.
But if it had that, you know what we'd want next: the ability to write the stream to a local USB hard drive on the WD! - :up - ;)

And now that I think more of it, the Silicon Dust dual network tuner has two tuners... but what if the connected computer needs both while we're watching something?
Darn! And it was such a good idea, too. :)

One feature I ran across in a 3rd party firmware for the WDtvLive, was ability to hook up a DVD drive.
What if we could hook in a USB blu-ray player?
I haven't really looked into the matter, and it's a bit silly, I suppose. ;)

Sorry, I've strayed way off topic of "what's the best media player for streaming to your TV"...

At the current $74 shipped price on Meritline.com for the WD Live Plus (refurb, like mine), it's hard to argue with.
Not to be confused with the slightly cheaper WD Live non-plus (older model, won't do Netflix, etc)

Well I figured out BestBuy was hiding the new Live model on the lower shelf of an endcap at the other end of the computer area away from the current models. Trying to clear out the Live Plus models first, I guess. The new Live model works great so far. Plugged it into the plasma in my office and it picked up my wifi immediately. I was streaming files from the Live Hub within a few minutes. I also streamed some episodes from TWIT tv in the media fly app without any problems. I went ahead and let it update to the current firmware once I was done playing. I like that it has the same larger remote from the Live Hub and the same GUI.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)