Best musical decade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Best musical decade

• 1950's

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • 1960's

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • 1970's

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • 1980's

Votes: 20 32.8%
  • 1990's

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • this one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Music that shaped my life:

The Beatles second album- (American version) - first album I ever owned.

Early 60's British Wave - The early Kink's , Who, Animals, Rolling Stones, Beatles, etc... Attitude, 3 minute long singles, a couple of guitars, bass, drums, and a singer that could scream - everything that rock and roll should be. My biggest and strongest influence.

"Louie, Louie" - the Kingsmen - A record I love for the same reasons as the last statement, never have gotten tired of hearing it.

"Revolver" and "Sgt. Pepper" - The Beatles - revolver is my favorite Beatle album. Sgt. Pepper ended rock and roll as we knew it at that point. It showed that rock could be art. Rock and roll was fun till then, maybe more interesting after that.

"Pet Sounds" - The Beach Boys - If you don't know why this album is here, you never really listened to it.

The Rolling Stones - 6 albums in particular: :12 x 5, and then, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile On Mainstreet (hard to find a better 4 album run than that, by anybody), and Some Girls. (Which proved the old geezers still knew how to rock).

Quadraphenia - Any teenage boy could find somrthing to identify with, on this album. A masterpiece in my opinion.

The first 2 Led Zeppelin albums. - My two favorite albums of all time. Redefined blues forever, and all that followed it.

MC5 and the Stooges - You either get it or you don't. I'm from Detroit, maybe it's a "Detroit" thing. Without these two bands, there would be no Ramones, no Ramones, then there wouldn't be the Clash and the Sex Pistols,... no Nirvana, Green Day, etc... Both bands were ahead of their time. As were...

The New York Dolls - A lot of people never got the joke, but the music was phenominal. Another band that influenced much more than you realize.

The Ramones - "The Ramones" and Patti Smith- "Horses". After hearing these two albums, I realized that 1/2 of my album collection was obsolete. After what rock and roll become after Sgt. Pepper, these two albums returned me to my roots.

The Motor City Mutants - Who? If you were in Detroit in the 70's, you know who they are, If you saw them, you know why they're on my list. Underground legends, one of the best bands that were never signed. Another band that was ahead of it's time. A pity they never got their chance. Around Detroit the same time the "Romantics' were, and twice a better band to boot. Their live shows were the stuff legends are made of, and some of the best song writing I've ever heard.

Anything from Motown pre-1974.

There were lots of other groups and albums that moved me, but these were the ones that come to mind, over and over again for me.

Last edited:
I went with the 80's mostly due to the wide range of music from that time period. I was born in 1982 and graduated from high school in 2000 -- so I should probably be saying the 90's. I enjoyed a good deal of what came out of the 90's but, honestly, I spend all day listening to SIRIUS 8. There aren't many instances when I turn it to a different station and when I do, it's 2, 3, 4, or 9.

Ok New question. What are 10 songs by 10 different artist/bands that may define your musical preference and you would recommend to others "if they had never heard them before, I know everyone has heard most of these songs". Here is mine in no chronological order.

1. More than a feeling - Boston, The guitar riff gives me goosebumps everytime.

2. King of Pain - Police, Love Stings vocals.

3. I Am the Walrus - Beatles, Probably my favorite Beatles song.

4. Down in a Hole - Alice in Chains, Staley and Cantrell's harmonies are brilliant.

5. Ohio - Cosby, Stills, Nash, Young, I would bet I was the only senior in high school in 2001 who had a CSNY cd that listen to it regularly.

6. Something in the Way - Nirvana, Kurt Cobain "need I say more?"

7. These Stones will Shout - The Raconteurs, Newer song but the vibe is straight out of the late 60's early 70's. Could have easily been done by Zeppelin

8. Plateau - Meat Puppets "Nirvana did a cover unplugged", Gotta admit I would not know this band if not for Nirvana, but they have a load of great songs.

9. E-Pro - Beck, My favorite Scientologist and has done everything from Dylan like folk to hiphop.

10. Bound for the Floor - Local H, High energy 2 man band delivering rock in its purest form.

I'll do albums that change my life.

1. Kiss - Love Gun, first album I owned.
  2. Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo, just a good album.
  3. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, made me realize how good metal was.
  4. Led Zepplin - IV, Wow.
  5. The Clash - London calling, Started me to listen to punk.
  6. Pink Floyd - The Wall, just a classic.
  7. Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon, same as above.
  8. Metallica - Kill 'Em All, started me on thrash metal.
  9. Slayer - Reign in Blood, never stops.
  10. Nirvana - Nevermind, killed hair metal, and that is a good thing.:D

I'll do albums that change my life.

1. Kiss - Love Gun, first album I owned.
  2. Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo, just a good album.
  3. Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath, made me realize how good metal was.
  4. Led Zepplin - IV, Wow.

[*]The Clash - London calling, Started me to listen to punk.
  5. Pink Floyd - The Wall, just a classic.
  6. Pink Floyd - Dark side of the Moon, same as above.
  7. Metallica - Kill 'Em All, started me on thrash metal.
  8. Slayer - Reign in Blood, never stops.
  9. Nirvana - Nevermind, killed hair metal, and that is a good thing.:D

Loved the sticker on the album calling them the "only band that mattered". The first two albums were also great. The best band of the era in my opinion. "London Calling" is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Ok New question. What are 10 songs by 10 different artist/bands that may define your musical preference and you would recommend to others "if they had never heard them before, I know everyone has heard most of these songs". Here is mine in no chronological order.

2. King of Pain - Police, Love Stings vocals.

3. I Am the Walrus - Beatles, Probably my favorite Beatles song.

4. Down in a Hole - Alice in Chains, Staley and Cantrell's harmonies are brilliant.

5. Ohio - Cosby, Stills, Nash, Young, I would bet I was the only senior in high school in 2001 who had a CSNY cd that listen to it regularly.

6. Something in the Way - Nirvana, Kurt Cobain "need I say more?"

7. These Stones will Shout - The Raconteurs, Newer song but the vibe is straight out of the late 60's early 70's. Could have easily been done by Zeppelin

8. Plateau - Meat Puppets "Nirvana did a cover unplugged", Gotta admit I would not know this band if not for Nirvana, but they have a load of great songs.

9. E-Pro - Beck, My favorite Scientologist and has done everything from Dylan like folk to hiphop.

10. Bound for the Floor - Local H, High energy 2 man band delivering rock in its purest form.

In no particular order...

1. Bruce Springsteen- Born to Run or Thunder Road (can't decide)

2. Billy Joel- Piano Man

3. Bob Marley- No Woman, No Cry

4. Pink Floyd- Wish You Were Here or Comfortably Numb (can't decide)

5. The Doors- L.A. Woman

6. Grateful Dead- Ripple

7. O.A.R- Crazy Game of Poker (favorite current band)

8. Lynyrd Skynyrd- Free Bird

9. Led Zeppelin- Stairway to Heaven

10. Nirvana- All Apologies

I have a theory here.... People tend to associate music that was playing while momentous events in their life occurred. First kiss, first time making love, time spent with high school/college friends.....

Therefore, we tend to relish music that was playing from the time we were about 14 until our mid 20's. That period will dictate what period you feel was the "Best of Times" for music, according to my theory.

What do you think? The 80's fits into that for me, and that is where most of my favorite music comes from....

I get a flashback high every time I hear this :D

I would add that music is a more important part of our lives during that period. I know I don't have as much time to listen to my main rig as I used to. Most of my listening comes while on the computer or in my car. Not much that I want to buy now a days either. Nice post, Bob.

It came to me while I was watching Risky Business the other day..... In the Air Tonight. The Tangerine Dream music. DMSR by Prince. Old Time Rock and Roll.... Loved the whole soundtrack..... which was playing constantly in my 1976 Jamaican Blue Dodge Charger when I had my first serious relationship in 1983-84.

OK, the car was a pimpmobile, but it was mine and gave me freedom and mobility. The cassette deck was loaded with the MTV hits of the day, as well as movie soundtracks....

Sigh. Now I think about the stresses of work, family life, constant extracurricular activities for kids, and a zillion other things to worry about, and today's music just doesn't have any positive emotional moments to bond with (other than bad ones..... Music that was playing when we heard about a friends death, broken marriage, or loss of a parent, etc.)

You might have Norah Jones type music that serves as a backdrop for romantic moments with your SO, but nothing that will resonate with me 20 years from now in my estimation....

How about the first song you sang karaoke to? Actually, this was the only time I've ever sang karaoke, but everytime I hear the song, I instantly think of the girl and booze that convinced me to sing infront of dozens of people.

The song: Baba O'Riley by The Who. (otherwise known as "teenage wasteland")

"Can't Helping Falling in Love" by Elvis....

Only song I can sing with my deep voice that won't have people shoving cocktail napkins in their ears....

How about the first song you sang karaoke to? Actually, this was the only time I've ever sang karaoke, but everytime I hear the song, I instantly think of the girl and booze that convinced me to sing infront of dozens of people.

Or, the song you first saw a gal dance to in a strip club... :D

For me, it was "The Sign" by Ace of Base. Every time I hear that song, I think of The Pink Poodle club in San Jose, Ca.

Last edited:
Born in '77, but my mom being so young (she was 16 when I was born-please no disrespectful comments about that), I was exposed to lots of music at an early age via vinyl. Some (really, too many to name) of the earliest/favorites songs/albums of mine in no order:

-Van Halen-1984--one of the coolest album covers EVER.
-KISS- Destroyer- I remember Det. Rock City original version with the car crash at the end..Terrified me! I was enthralled at the makeup. I think I was 5 or 6 when I first played it. (when I play Rock Band, that's the 1 song I sing EVERYTIME)
-Prince-1999
-The Police-Synchronicity
-Lynyrd Skynyrd- Pronounced, and Second Helping
-Ted Nugent-Great Gonzo's
-Michael Jackson-Thriller-That video almost made me piss myself.
-Billy Idol-Rebel Yell=badass

Later on: ( early teen and beyond)
-Poison-Look What the Cat Dragged In
-Beastie Boys-License To Ill-First tape I ever bought
-Metallica-Kill 'em All/Master of Puppets
-Slayer-South of Heaven and every other, really
-Motley Crue-ALL minus Theatre of Pain
-Nirvana-Nevermind
-Pantera-Vulgar Display of Power-I even shaved my head to look like Phil
-Alice in Chains-Dirt
-Marilyn Manson-A.C.S.S.- I thought he was the Devil

Again, this is only a fraction of my life's listening. Most music after the 70's and 80's pretty much blows IMHO.:)

Last edited:
Loved the sticker on the album calling them the "only band that mattered". The first two albums were also great. The best band of the era in my opinion. "London Calling" is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Only Punk band to play shea stadium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts