• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
What do you think is the best musical decade? I say the 60's, you had the Beatles of course, the Stones, Hendrix, Simon and Garfunkel, David Bowie, Dylan, Van Morrison just started out, Woodstock happened.

I think the early 90's would be my second choice with the Seattle band phenomenon.

The 50s (54-55 to the end). Rockabilly, doo wop and the beginning of rock and roll.

Ohhhh. A tough one. I would say 70's, except some of the worst music also came out of the 70s.

I'll have to go 80s.

If I could vote twice I would vote the '80s and the '90s, but since you can only vote once, I voted the '80s.

I went with the 60s. Some great music in that era. I'd love to be able to add the 50s as well because it is the roots of R&R.

This poll will track pretty closely to the voter's age. I grew up with the 50s music, I'm 64, it is the music of my coming of age.

I think your age will tell how you vote. I prefer the 70s , because I graduated in 73
By the way I'm 53.

The 60's without a doubt. Everything past that flowed from that decade. Graduated in 1975. I thought the second half of the 70's which brought us punk and the "new wave" were really exciting. It was great to get back to stripped down rock, after the AOR era almost killed rock music. I still cringe when I think of Journey, Foreigner, Kansas, etc... The "haircut" bands, with their silly synths, of the 80's made me puke too. Don't even get me started on Disco or hip-hop.

I think your age will tell how you vote. I prefer the 70s , because I graduated in 73
By the way I'm 53.

Agreed. However, a decade is a long time, and music changes a lot during that period. I'm a child of the '60s, but I find stuff I like in every era.

Look at the '60s. You had girl groups, the Brill building sound, the great folk scare (that stuff almost caught on!), surfing sound, the British Invasion, psychadelic drug rock, the start of heavy metal, electric blues, etc.

You also had Surfin Bird, all the dead teenager stuff, bubblegum, and all the rest of the stuff we like to forget ever happened. Same is true for every era.

A real case can actually be made for the '40s. They had swing and jitterbug, country evolution into the Hank Williams ' style, the heyday of black bee-bop of Armstrong and Calloway, the emergence of the blues, etc. All this stuff laid the foundation for rock and roll.

I still cringe when I think of Journey, Foreigner, Kansas, etc... The "haircut" bands, with their silly synths, of the 80's made me puke too. Don't even get me started on Disco or hip-hop.

You named some of my favorite groups...well one anyway. :) My favorite bands from my favorite period in music: Camel, Rush, Kansas, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Focus, Triumvirate...and in the top 40 vein: Journey, Foreigner, Heart, Bob Seger, McCartney/Wings, Crosby/Stills/Nash (and later Young), Styx, and many, many others. It was a great time in music. Very innovative, very creative. There was a brief, similar period in the early-mid 80s...and very briefly in the 90s. Then everything became "cookie-cutter" music after that (IMO). I still occasionally come across some interesting music, but it's much more difficult now. The 40s and 50s had a lot of great music too. I like a very wide variety of musicians and styles, but there are three or four moderately recent styles I just can't stand: rap, hip-hop, dance and today's top-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)