Lkr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2008
1st - CBS
2nd - NBC
3rd - Fox
4th- ESPN

CBS is by far the best. Whether it is center cam or closeups. I feel like I don't need to say much as I have no complaints.
NBC has the highest production value of any of the channels, and that helps it, as well as having a nice center cam. They have the most macroblocking, and that docks points, but don't get started on Fox...
Fox's center cam is horrid. Sure it looks better than SD, but is that really saying much in 2009? Their close-ups are nice, but I doubt that is an accomplishment. They also produce horrid games inside the Georgia dome, whereas CBS happened to make it look beautiful in the Dolphins vs Falcons game. The Ari@Jax game looked like SD and had a distorted image.
ESPN, especially after last night's MNF game, are in dead last easily. The whole game looked REALLY soft, almost to 16:9 480p image. Not to mention they finally gave some screen back to the viewer

My only gripe with CBS is that sometimes there is a slight audio lag (lip sync issue). Whenever the games go to the studio, it bugs the hell out of me the words don't always match their mouth. It feels like I'm watching an English dubbed Foreign flick.

I didn't pay attention (care?) enough to notice a difference, only production inequalities are what bother me, like how my local FOX snaps down to a SD/sub-HD resolution to put their bug/banner on the screen after every commercial break, often leading to it then snapping back to HD and repeating a couple seconds of content.

I haven't seen anything that made me thing 'wow, pq is poor, i better find another game' - I am just happy to watch any game I want.

Both CBS and NBC broadcast in 1080i, while FOX and ESPN are 720p.

Sports, with all it's "fast action" usually looks better in 720, so keep that in mind when adjusting your HDTV...

YMMV!!!...:wave

For me its:

1a NBC
1b CBS
3 ESPN
4 FOX

My NBC local's PQ has been excellent this year and being a night game under the lights gives it an advantage with more vibrant colors.

I didn't pay attention (care?) enough to notice a difference, only production inequalities are what bother me, like how my local FOX snaps down to a SD/sub-HD resolution to put their bug/banner on the screen after every commercial break, often leading to it then snapping back to HD and repeating a couple seconds of content.

I haven't seen anything that made me thing 'wow, pq is poor, i better find another game' - I am just happy to watch any game I want.

Oh, extending this a little... some more pet peeves...

- broadcast graphics that dont have down/distance displayed at all times, but rather only via on-field effects

- number of timeouts shown only when one is taken.

- placeholder promo stuff that looks like game info... like the 40th year thing in the SNF score bar.

Oh, extending this a little... some more pet peeves...

- broadcast graphics that dont have down/distance displayed at all times, but rather only via on-field effects

- number of timeouts shown only when one is taken.

- placeholder promo stuff that looks like game info... like the 40th year thing in the SNF score bar.

extending the pet peeves even more.....

- Network Logo's/Scoreboards not in extreme corner of 16:9 frame. Some channels put it in the corner of what would be the 4:3 frame, even on HD broadcasts.

- Annoying robots with annoying sounds (as seen on Sunday Football by Fox). When the 5.1 is blaring, those sudden robot sounds freak my dog out!

ive actually never heard a distinguished rear audio channel on an nfl broadcast. should i try bumping up only the rear speakers?

Network Logo's/Scoreboards not in extreme corner of 16:9 frame. Some channels put it in the corner of what would be the 4:3 frame, even on HD broadcasts.

Not much they can do about that, because if they did put it in the corner of the 16:9 frame, it would be cut off on older non-HD sets that display a 4:3 center-cut of the original wide screen signal!!!...

I know, it can get confusing!!!...:confused:

Not much they can do about that, because if they did put it in the corner of the 16:9 frame, it would be cut off on older non-HD sets that display a 4:3 center-cut of the original wide screen signal!!!...

I know, it can get confusing!!!...:confused:

Why are other channels able to put the "bug" in the lower 16:9 frame (ie. FX)?

Why are other channels able to put the "bug" in the lower 16:9 frame (ie. FX)?

Because most channels have an SD and an HD feed. on FX's HD feed the bug says "FX HD" and on the SD feed it is just FX. If you watch the FX HD feed on an old analog 4:3 TV you can see the bug is cut off, or the picture is squeezed making everyone look like your boy Lebron...tall and skinny!!!...;)

BTW did you see your man-love on Letterman last night???...:eek:

On NBC's broadcasts I can clearly hear crowd noise coming through my rear surrounds.
well my local nbc and cbs is only DD 2.0 and i've never heard it on ST :(

I'll try nbc if our affiliate ever upgrades their equipment

Because most channels have an SD and an HD feed. on FX's HD feed the bug says "FX HD" and on the SD feed it is just FX. If you watch the FX HD feed on an old analog 4:3 TV you can see the bug is cut off, or the picture is squeezed making everyone look like your boy Lebron...tall and skinny!!!...;)

BTW did you see your man-love on Letterman last night???...:eek:

Yes, he's been on a tour de force lately. Promoting the new book and movie. He was also on The Daily Show recently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)