Best Receiver for PS3 hookup via HDMI, suggestions??

AriesGodofWar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
Fenton, Mo
I am looking to replace my current receiver and a looking for a recommendation as to what others have hooked up to their PS3 or Blu-Ray players.

I need 2 HDMI inputs and and do not want to have to use an audio cable at all. Would want ability to decode TrueHD and other uncompressed formats, other than that, I am not too picky and do not care what other inputs it has, as my PS3 and ViP622 are all that is going to hook to it. Also, reasonably priced is a plus as well.

I am happy with my Onkyo 805. Beats using the HDMI switch I previously used. I have my PS3 & ViP722 hooked up to it. I'll probably later hook up an upscaling DVD player via HDMI, not for the DVD playing, since the PS3 does that well, but for DVD-Audio & SACD playing.

I personally prefer Denon over Onkyo. Depending on what you want to spend, they have a new model coming out soon (the 1909) which will do all of that. Price will be $649. Of course they go up from there. I would also have more than two HDMI inputs for future expansion.

S~

My A/V receiver preference is Yamaha followed closely by Denon. I highly recommend the Yamaha RX-V3800/RX-V1800, but they are on the pricey side. I am not sure about their lower-end receivers, but you can compare features by clicking on the above link. Personally, I would love to get the RX-V3800, but I have a 4-year old RX-V3300 and a 9-year old RX-V2095 that are still going strong.

Additionally, as teachsac mentioned, I too would select Denon over the Onkyo.

I'd also say:
Onkyo TX-SR606, TX-SR705 (805,875,etc.)
Yamaha starting with RX-V663
Denon 3808ci is the one I'd personally get, if I could afford it. It's about $1600. :)

Last month I got the Yamaho RX-V663 as I was concerned about the reputed bugs and heat issues with the Onkyo 606. I couldn't be happier. I paid $450 at Best Buy for it and picked up an 32" TV for the bedroom to get interest free financing for 24 months.

Big drawback is only 2 HDMI inputs, but the HD cable box I have looks WAY better connected via component anyway. PS3/BD somehow actually looks better through the Yamaha than direct to TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)