best receiver for simultaneous HD and SD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bill33333

Jun 18, 2007
I want to update from my old dual lnb non-HDTV to HD. Currently I run the cable from the dish to the receiver, and then split from there to multiple TV's. I don't need to watch multiple channels simultaneously, so this system works fine. I use a wireless IR repeater to change channels, since the receiver is not located near any of the TV's.

I have on HD set, and several SD sets. I'd like to be able to run the HD set off of a receiver box with HDMI, while simultaneously having a SD signal run to the other sets via coax. I realize that most (?) new receivers don't have coax output, and I guess I would have to get an RF modulator to go from component output to the coax.

So the question is: what boxes send a simultanous signal to the HDMI and component? I don't want to have to go back to the receiver box to switch since it will be in a different room.

Finally, any suggestions for RF modulator boxes, or do they all pretty much do the job?
thanks!

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
I want to update from my old dual lnb non-HDTV to HD. Currently I run the cable from the dish to the receiver, and then split from there to multiple TV's. I don't need to watch multiple channels simultaneously, so this system works fine. I use a wireless IR repeater to change channels, since the receiver is not located near any of the TV's.

I have on HD set, and several SD sets. I'd like to be able to run the HD set off of a receiver box with HDMI, while simultaneously having a SD signal run to the other sets via coax. I realize that most (?) new receivers don't have coax output, and I guess I would have to get an RF modulator to go from component output to the coax.

So the question is: what boxes send a simultanous signal to the HDMI and component? I don't want to have to go back to the receiver box to switch since it will be in a different room.

Finally, any suggestions for RF modulator boxes, or do they all pretty much do the job?
thanks!

All of the outputs of the H20 and HR20 are live all of the time.

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
:welcome

One of the main reasons I gave up on my HR10-250 was that it does not do simultaneous component and HDMI output which causes problems with my mixed matrix configuration and Slingbox (480i only when using composite). The HR20 and H20 do all outputs at the same time no matter the component or HDMI output (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). With a simple RF regulator, you can drop composite or S-Video to coax and you are in business. They cost like 10 bucks or so at Radio Shack.

Ramy

The Star Wars Collector Podcast
Supporting Founder
Jan 27, 2004
Here
The only thing the HR20 won't do is HDMI - HD and Component - 480i at the same time. I have a 27" TV that has 480i component inputs.

Bob Nielsen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 22, 2006
Bainbridge Island, WA
It will output HDMI and component simultaneously, but they will both have the same resolution. I believe that there are some TVs which won't do 480i via the HDMI input, however.

It will output 480i composite no matter what resolution is used on the HDMI/component outputs.

All outputs will have the same format, either 16:9 or 4:3, so if you want to watch from an analog set, you may have to switch this from the menu.

mcbeevee

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 28, 2004
I realize that most (?) new receivers don't have coax output, and I guess I would have to get an RF modulator to go from component output to the coax.
Actually, the input to the RF modulator is composite (yellow/red/white cable). I have an H20 feeding an HD tv with hdmi, and 2 other tv's with coax via a RF modulator.
:)

bill33333

Jun 18, 2007
Actually, the input to the RF modulator is composite (yellow/red/white cable). I have an H20 feeding an HD tv with hdmi, and 2 other tv's with coax via a RF modulator.
:)

I assume your coax-fed TV's are SD sets? I guess my question really is, if I feed the HD set via HDMI (which I asume is going to be 16:9), will I still be able to watch what is fed via the composite to the SD set? I don't really care if the resolution is not 'correct' on that set (i.e. if it shows up, or tries to show up at 16:9 on the 4:3 set) -- this SD set is in the gym, I can live with whatever is on the screen, ridiculous as that may sound...

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
Nope, it doesn't output a mix of resolutions at the same time on those outputs. If one is HD then they both are and same with SD.

Sorry, I misread your post. All you have to do is change the display on the television that is fed by the composite output. It will look fine.

Bob Nielsen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Aug 22, 2006
Bainbridge Island, WA
I assume your coax-fed TV's are SD sets? I guess my question really is, if I feed the HD set via HDMI (which I asume is going to be 16:9), will I still be able to watch what is fed via the composite to the SD set? I don't really care if the resolution is not 'correct' on that set (i.e. if it shows up, or tries to show up at 16:9 on the 4:3 set) -- this SD set is in the gym, I can live with whatever is on the screen, ridiculous as that may sound...

If the receiver is set to 16:9, all outputs will have that format and the picture will be squeezed horizontally on 4:3 sets (great for TNT's stretch-o-vision). It's fairly easy to reset the format to 4:3 with the remote, if desired.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)