Best Receiver to Buy

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SAARNO

Original poster
Sep 7, 2009
New England
Hello,

I'm just getting into FTA and am planning on what equipment to purchase. With all the options for receivers available, are there any brands significantly better than others from experience?

Thanks!

What do you want it to do?
Standard definition receivers are less expensive and more plentiful than Hi Def receivers.
Ones which record your shows to hard drive are more expensive and the list is much smaller.
Reception of the latest S2 format is restricted to few receivers, and they cost a lot more.
A receiver with blind scan is to be preferred, in most situations.

A wise beginner would start out with an SD receiver for somewhere in the $100 range, and get educated.
Then, once they've got a clue about the hobby, they may want to branch out to other more exotic sets.
Asking for "the best" to get started, would be unrealistic.

Also, learning what is on the air that you want to receive would be a first step.
Here's a very short beginner's list, for Ku only.
We have more technical lists for Ku and C-band, but lets find out what you are looking to get, first. :)

And to answer your question, yes, there are brands and models we would steer you away from, and others we will recommend.
The list of models and advertizing claims are quite absurd.
Here on the forum, we can help you whittle down the list to a manageable one.

for starters check your money. then buy the best pansat you can get. HI-DEF in your house ? once you go hi-def there is no going back like color and b&w to me.
if you do and can $$ get the pansat 9200. pansat is the oldest maker around. others are here today and gone.
and they are pretty easy to use and if you get stuck on something you have alot of users to help you.

What brand is better?

I'm iooking at buying a new reciever myself. I have a coolsat 6000 & a Fortic Star. I really like my Coolsat. Bought them used 2 1/2 years ago. So what is
a better brand & the ones to stay away from? Thanks for any advice..:)

If you already have a 31" or bigger dish with a ku band linear LNB... you should consider a motor to pan your horizon. Your Fortec has a great blindscanner.

Do you have a big c-band dish?

btw you will find they don't talk about any stealing of signal here ever.

Welcome to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts