Best single year for sports ever

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
On ESPN's Page 2, they are looking at some of the most memorable sports years of all-time.

Here are the links to each of the years and the case for each of them:

ESPN Page 2 - Page 2: The most memorable sports years

What is your choice for best single sports year in history?

My choice is 1984.

Consider:

Every champion that year was a powerhouse: the Detroit Tigers, Edmonton Oilers, Boston Celtics, Georgetown basketball, and the San Francisco 49ers (15-1 1984 season, although the Raiders, whom won the title in the calendar year, were no slouch)

Two of the greatest athletes in history made their professional debuts: Michael Jordan and Mario Lemieux.

Lakers/Celtics rivalry began to make the NBA the 'it' game, and the Oilers dethroned the four-time champion Islanders (I'm sure Sandra remembers that. :D)

Doug Flutie's legendary Hail Mary and Miami's legendary Orange Bowl win over Nebraska took place that same year

The 1984 Summer Olympics

The only thing not-so-good about that year was a screwy college football national champion in Brigham Young; undefeated, but untested with a soft schedule

My runner-up would be 1980- In addition to the Miracle on Ice, you had Bird, Magic and Wayne Gretzky starting their legendary careers, as well as the end of the Steeler dynasty, and the beginning of the Laker and Islander dynasties (sorry, Sandra :D)

Last edited:
For me nothing can ever top 2004.

The Patriots follow their 14-2, 2003 season by beating the Titans (3 degrees in Foxboro that night) and Colts in the playoffs, and then beat the Panthers, 32-29 in a second half shootout at Super Bowl XXXVIII.

The Red Sox win the wildcard, sweep the Angels three straight in the ALDS, and then the universe is tipped on it's axis as the Red Sox battle back from being down 3 games to 0 in the ALCS, (ESPECIALLY after losing game 3 at Fenway, 19-8) to beat the Yankees........winning game 7 in Yankee Stadium (I was as HIGH as a sports fan could get that night).

The Red Sox ended The Curse and after 86 longggg years are WORLD CHAMPIONS, as they swept the Cardinals in the World Series! :D

The NFL champion Patriots again went 14-2 in 2004 (The Pats, of course, went on to repeat as champions, beating the Eagles in Feb. 2005).

For me nothing can ever top 2004.

The Patriots follow their 14-2, 2003 season by beating the Titans (3 degrees in Foxboro that night) and Colts in the playoffs, and then beat the Panthers, 32-29 in a second half shootout at Super Bowl XXXVIII.

The Red Sox win the wildcard, sweep the Angels three straight in the ALDS, and then the universe is tipped on it's axis as the Red Sox battle back from being down 3 games to 0 in the ALCS, (ESPECIALLY after losing game 3 at Fenway, 19-8) to beat the Yankees........winning game 7 in Yankee Stadium (I was as HIGH as a sports fan could get that night).

The Red Sox ended The Curse and after 86 longggg years are WORLD CHAMPIONS, as they swept the Cardinals in the World Series! :D

The NFL champion Patriots again went 14-2 in 2004 (The Pats, of course, went on to repeat as champions, beating the Eagles in Feb. 2005).

Don't forget these:

The Lakers' spectacular meltdown against the Pistons

The NHL Lockout :mad::(

USC, Auburn and Utah go unbeaten in college football

That would be 1978 when my brother and I led the Braves to an undefeated season. My brother finished with a 19-0 record while I led the league with a .560 batting average...although he was close behind batting around .500 - plus, he played beside me at SS (I was at 3rd) when he wasn't pitching. He also threw 3 perfect games that season recording games with 20, 22, and 23 strikeouts and was also clocked on radar that summer at 93 mph (age 15 1/2). Later that year our Little Ceasars team (hockey) went undefeated and we were given lots of free pizza...and beer too!

As team mates, me and my brother got into more fights, took more cuts, lumps and bruises, and busted more heads than I can remember. He had my back and I had his. To me, this was the best sports year ever!!!

Some of you may laugh, but being a fan in Cleveland my personal best single season as a sports fan was last year ('07). I realize that this may not rank up there with other cities achievements, but to me, the fact that all of my teams were competitive was almost as good as it gets. Until one of my teams finally breaks through and wins a Championship that is. ;)

Let me recap 2007 as a Cleveland/OSU fan.....

OSU Football: Beat Michigan and advanced to the National Championship albeit losing to LSU.

OSU Basketball: Advanced to the National Championship in the NCAA Tourney and lost to Florida.

Cleveland Cavs: Advanced to the NBA Finals for the first time in team history after an epic performance by LeBron at the Palace of Auburn Hills against the Pistons. Cavs ended up getting swept by the Spurs in the Conference Finals.

Cleveland Indians: Won the AL Central. Beat the Yankees in the ALDS in an epic battle that I will remember for a lifetime. Came within 1 win to advance to the World Series. I was torn by the ALCS loss to the Red Sox. I was convinced that '07 was the Tribe's year.

Cleveland Browns: Coming from an 4-12 record the year before, this season started off great on draft day. GM Phil Savage managed to get the top Left Tackle in Joe Thomas and trade up to get our future (at the time) QB in Brady Quinn. The Browns finished the '07 season with a record of 10-6 and missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker. This season was one to remember as it was one of the most memorable offenses I've ever witnessed as a Browns fan.

Some of you may laugh, but being a fan in Cleveland my personal best single season as a sports fan was last year ('07). I realize that this may not rank up there with other cities achievements, but to me, the fact that all of my teams were competitive was almost as good as it gets. Until one of my teams finally breaks through and wins a Championship that is. ;)

Cleveland Browns: Coming from an 4-12 record the year before, this season started off great on draft day. GM Phil Savage managed to get the top Left Tackle in Joe Thomas and trade up to get our future (at the time) QB in Brady Quinn. The Browns finished the '07 season with a record of 10-6 and missed the playoffs on a tiebreaker. This season was one to remember as it was one of the most memorable offenses I've ever witnessed as a Browns fan.

I thought you were going to say the year the Browns went to the Super B....

Oops. Never mind.

That single event broke me down like nothing ever before...

My year would be 1993... we didn't win but damn that was the most fun I ever had watching the phillies...

That would be followed with 1996 when the Avs won the Stanley Cup in their first year... my other favorite team.

That single event broke me down like nothing ever before...

My year would be 1993... we didn't win but damn that was the most fun I ever had watching the phillies...

That would be followed with 1996 when the Avs won the Stanley Cup in their first year... my other favorite team.

This could be the Eagles year. I have them winning the Super Bowl and Donovan winning the MVP. This is the first time in years that McNabb is any where near 100%, and it's showing in his performance thus far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)