Best Under the Radar Trade

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Kyle Farnsworth to the Braves

Leave it to Atlanta to trade for a relief pitcher who throws 100 mph, negotiate that deal for days and still manage to keep it so quiet that not only did us media sleuths not find out about it -- but even other teams had no idea it was cooking.
"Boy," said an official of one NL club. "That one came out of left field, huh?"

"Typical Atlanta," said another NL exec. "Right there under the radar."

Farnsworth can be a loose cannon at times. But he's having a big year (55 whiffs, just 29 hits in 42 2/3 innings). And he's a perfect fit for a Braves bullpen that needed one more late-inning piece, a guy who can close but won't necessarily have to.

"Of all the guys traded," said one GM, "Farnsworth might have the biggest impact."

Source

Ever since Farnsworth stopped throwing all those off speed pitches early in the season and just concentrated on throwing the gas, he has been lights out here in Detroit.

Trust me, Farnsworth will bomb in Atlanta, guy has a peanut for a brain and falls apart at the worst times. Dude broke his foot last year for kicking a fan, how dumb do you have to be.

BUT, I would love him in a fight, he can tackle with the best of them.

Hopefully Farnsworth will not become (who was the 1996 closer that Atlanta had that threw 100 mph but lost to the Yankees in that big game 4 or 5). One thing is to throw hard (100mph) another thing is to throw hard with movement. If he throws hard and it is straight MLB players will adjust if it has movement he will be successful. But he is now in Atlanta with Lee Mussoni (sp?). Mussoni is a wizard when it comes to pitching and he has straightened out lots of pitchers in the Braves run.

I love the Braves trade, Farnsworth is a tall intimidating son of a gun on the mound with some nasty stuff. I wish the Mets got rid of Zambrano, Cameron, and to a lesser extent Glavine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts