Best way to add new channels to the MicroSD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KJ6EO

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2013
118.3W 34.3N
On the MicroSD, I've created an "English Channels List" that contains around 70 channels. I've renamed the majority of the channels
on the list. However if I want to go back and scan a SAT for whatever reason, the channels from that SAT get renamed back to whatever their default names were. So my question is, what is the best way to add a new channel and scan for it without it affecting the channels that are currently on my list. What I've been doing is to just add the new TP then scan only that TP.

Is there a better way of doing it?

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

To retain a custom channel name during a channel scan the SID needs to be changed. Export the .udf file and use the ALI Or MES Editor to change the SID to an unused number. I use SID 0 for my custom channel names.

Excellent advice ... thank you! Where would be the best place to download the editors?

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO

I used to rename SIDs with an external editor when using my S9. It worked for sure. But getting lazy in my old age, I stopped renaming and I like to re-scan every satellite regularly so I found it easier to memorize the scanned names. Shalom TV is CH-179 and Patient Channel is Ch 2 to me now! The mind can adapt quickly if it must.

Thank you for the information (links). The only remaining question I have is about the USALS information. I have something like 22 active satellites
set up. My question is, do I have to go back and enter in the USALS info for each satellite (22 times)?

Your expert advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bill - KJ6EO (24.950Mhz)

USALS install location coordinates are only entered once. Activate the motor setting for each satellite and the motor will move to calculated position.

Hello - I downloaded and edited my UDF file using the ALI editor. I picked the 72w satellite because it only has several channels that I
renamed on it. I changed the SID value from whatever it was to 0. I uploaded the edited file to the MicroHD after which it rebooted. I
reentered my USALS info. I scanned the 73w satellite again. Unfortunately my favorite channels were renamed back to their default
names. So I must have made a mistake somewhere.

I have attached a copy of my UDF file for your review:

View attachment userdb.udf

Regards,

Bill

We'll let Brian address what went wrong. Perhaps the ALI editor didn't export completely correctly? I prefer the MediaBox editor. After the reboot, did you power OFF/power ON? Is your firmware the latest version?

In the meantime, I imported your file into my MediaBox editor, edited the remaining channels on 72W with non-zero SID to SID=0, then exported the result.

If you want, you can try loading this file and rescanning 72W just to see if there is any different result.

View attachment userdb.udf

Agree with Cyberham. Sounds like the receiver wasn't disconnected from power after the edited .udf file was reloaded. If it was, then I don't have any other guess as to why a channel with a changed SID could have been overwritten.

I looked at the UDF file that was edited by Cyberham. I only set the SID to 0 only on the channels that I renamed. After I get back from
Dinner, I'm gonna do the update using Cyberham's file. Maybe I didn't leave the power disconnected long enough or something. I really
appreciate your expert advice and guidance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)