Best way to cool 622

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Temps are still coming down on two VIP722s. Did another configuration change of fans today. Going to leave them alone now and see if temps come down some more. Bottom line is one 722 has a Dish VIP 622/722 Cooling Fan System installed and the other 722 has two Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fans installed. All fans are mounted on the left side of the case at the exhaust vents sucking the hot air out of the 722s. I sure hope the new VIP722k (or whatever it will be called) has a better cooling system. Check out the attached spreadsheet for temps and web sites of the fans I am using.

Attachments

• DVR Temps-1.xls
    45 KB · Views: 92
  • GreatroomCool Fan.JPG
    GreatroomCool Fan.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 146
  • MasterBedCoolFan.JPG
    MasterBedCoolFan.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 156
What about NOISE? Do these 722 cooling systems reduce the total amount of noise coming from the system?

Fans I have make very little noise. No issue at all. I was hoping for lower temps though. Maybe this winter they will come down some more. See attached spread sheet for latest temps and fan models.

Attachments

• DVR Temps-1.xls
    46.5 KB · Views: 106
So my 722 makes quite a bit of noise as is. Do the external aftermarket fans reduce the amount that the internal fan comes on (or the speed that it runs at)?

Thanks!

So my 722 makes quite a bit of noise as is. Do the external aftermarket fans reduce the amount that the internal fan comes on (or the speed that it runs at)?
That depends on how your ViP722 is currently situated. Pumping hot air in won't make the fan run any slower.

Is your ViP722 out in the open or in a pizza oven (entertainment center)?

I went with one of these: HomeTheaterCooling.com The Professionally Quiet Fan

Works like a charm. Have it blowing out; had to cut a whole lower in the back of the cabinet though to allow air in (created a vacuum otherwise, really stressing the fan).

Tried a few other things with only marginal success (laptop cooler, more space in the cabinet, metal mesh shelf under the 622).

Hooked it up to my switched output of my audio receiver so it's on whenever my system is on. Now the 622 does put out significant heat all the time, but when we're in that room, the system is on, so the fan is running; when we're not in the room, I leave the door to the cabinet cracked open. It was either that or leave the fan run 24X7, which I figured would shorten the life of the fan considerably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)