Best way to take down a BUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mjs812

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
Jupiter, FL
I found what looks like a 6 foot mesh that I can have. It's mounted maybe 6 or 7 feet up. Just wondering what's the esiest way to take these down and apart.

Take a ladder and go to it. Prob about 4 bolts holding the dish to the mounting ring, start at the bottom and take 'em out. 6 footer should be a feather compared to some of the bigger ones.
Loosen the bolts holding the mount-cap to the pole and lift the mount and mounting ring off.
If there's a motor, take it off first, being careful not to let it swing up and poke thru the mesh. Then you can just swing the dish all the way to one side and get to it easier.

Best way to take down a BUD:
Take some friends
Take some PBblaster
Take some tools
Take it apart or not?
Take some pictures

If it's really a 6' mesh, that should be light and easy, but might be unwieldy for one inexperienced guy.
PBblaster seems to work for easing out stuck bolts.
A sawzall and grinder make short work of frozen hardware and to cut down the pole.
If you can take it home intact, that's less work all around. Pickup truck, trailer, etc.
If you do disassemble the dish into halves or quarters, mark them so they go back together the same way.
Bring your wife, g/f, or kid along to take pictures of the whole fiasco. We all love a good laugh! - :D

Also, if you'll scan through the BUD forum, you'll find discussions where other members have removed dishes.
Each has interesting problems the member solved.
Smaller, lower, lighter dishes are easier.
Big, high, heavy dishes are more difficult.
But, I never read a story where I didn't learn something. - :up

edit: Just two amusing recent stories:
SpiffWilkie collected a BUD:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/167203-picking-up-bud-tomorrow.html
AltEng moved his dish:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/c-band-satellite-discussion/167082-mesh-sourch-older-bud.html

Last edited:
Well I can't be to sure on the size, I guess I'll find out as soon as I can grab my friend and his pick up truck. Wish me luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts