Best World Series of all-time?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
With the Fall Classic set,

I was wondering what is your choice for the best World Series of all-time.

I do have one rule, though: it has to be a World Series you actually remember or were alive to see.

(Sorry, mccoy, but the Pirates' World Series win in 1925 doesn't count :D- Feel free to mention 1971 or 1979, though)

My choice is the 2001 Yanks/D-Backs World Series.

It was hard to decide between this and the 1991 Braves/Twins series, but it gets a slight edge for the drama, heartstopping ending, the emotions of post 9/11, and the way games 4, 5, and 7 ended.

(Game 7 in 1991 was a great scoreless affair, but who would have thought that Mariano Rivera would blow a ninth-inning lead in Game 7 with a chance at a four-peat? In 1991, that game was scoreless in extra innings- Minnesota was not down to its final three outs.)

Those would be my 2 choices as well. 1991 was special because the Braves were fresh and new, the Tomahawk Chop was as hip as MC Hammer, and the Braves actually gave hope to a loyal fan base that was starved for a winner. Who knew that this same franchise would make playoff appearances an annual rite for over a decade and would turn choking into an artform?

2001 was special too. Because of 9/11 nearly everyone was pulling for the Yankees. The Diamondbacks were just a stupid expansion team. Funny looking back how different things were then. President Bush threw out the first pitch before Game 3 in Yankee Stadium and people loved it! And when Roger Clemens squared off against Curt Schilling in Game 7 I actually thought Clemens was the good guy and Schilling was the jerk. Couldn't have gotten that one more wrong.

I choose 2001 because of the overall drama.

*Byung-Hyun Kim's historic meltdown
*Clutch hits galore
* Curt Schilling and Randy Johnson dominating the Yankees
*George Bush throwing out the first pich at Yankee Stadium
*Patriotism at an all-time high
* The D-Backs winning the Series against the best closer that baseball has ever seen

GREAT series!

Those would be my 2 choices as well. 1991 was special because the Braves were fresh and new, the Tomahawk Chop was as hip as MC Hammer, and the Braves actually gave hope to a loyal fan base that was starved for a winner. Who knew that this same franchise would make playoff appearances an annual rite for over a decade and would turn choking into an artform?

2001 was special too. Because of 9/11 nearly everyone was pulling for the Yankees. The Diamondbacks were just a stupid expansion team. Funny looking back how different things were then. President Bush threw out the first pitch before Game 3 in Yankee Stadium and people loved it! And when Roger Clemens squared off against Curt Schilling in Game 7 I actually thought Clemens was the good guy and Schilling was the jerk. Couldn't have gotten that one more wrong.

I actually think that they're both jerks.......just for different reasons.

1) 1991. Great series, two very evenly matched teams.
2) 1956. Larsen's perfect game. Yes, I was alive.

The 1979 World Series, it was a good year to be a Pittsburgh fan.

Not only did the Pirates win the World Series, but the Steelers won the Super Bowl. We were the "City of Champions".

1968! Tigers down 3-1 after 4 games, and they become the first WS champion to overcome that deficit. Gibson was just dominate in his first two starts, and 31 game winner McClain was a no-show. Mickey Lolich becomes the unexpected pitching hero for the Tigers. A controversial tag at homeplate involving Lou Brock (He never touched the plate). CF Mickey Stanley moving to SS, so that Al Kaline could play in the series, and the list goes on. Plus it was my first WS, and I'm from Detroit.

While I could easily be a homer here and go for 2002 (Game 6 is a legend in Angels history!) I would have to say the 1986 Red Sox vs. Mets was as exciting a series as ever played. Game 6 had more drama than a James Bond flick all capped off with the infamous play thru the legs of Buckner.

While I could easily be a homer here and go for 2002 (Game 6 is a legend in Angels history!) I would have to say the 1986 Red Sox vs. Mets was as exciting a series as ever played. Game 6 had more drama than a James Bond flick all capped off with the infamous play thru the legs of Buckner.

I don't think anyone could argue that the entire 1986 postseason was the most exciting ever.

The ALCS, NLCS, and World Series of '86 are ALL legendary.

1975 World Series........(I was only 1 but I have seen all the games.)
1990 World Series........(Nobody gave the Reds a chance and everyone said the sweep would be the other way around)

I have to go back to the back-to-back World Series of 1957 and 1958.

1957 - 7 games between the Braves and Yankees, won by the Braves - followed up the next year with a repeat 7 game series between the same teams won by the Yankees.

1975 World Series........(I was only 1 but I have seen all the games.)
1990 World Series........(Nobody gave the Reds a chance and everyone said the sweep would be the other way around)

I actually enjoyed the 1976 WS too. But I also am a Reds fan too. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)