Best year ever for one city?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
How is Boston #3? The Patriots didn't win. Don't the Red Sox count as the year before, or not?

How is Boston #3? The Patriots didn't win. Don't the Red Sox count as the year before, or not?

Look at t the list. Many of the entries are 12 month periods that cross calendar years.

You can't imagine how easy it is to run a sports bar when your city is having one of those years. Then, the next year, when your teams aren't winning, all the sports bar owners/managers become dummies.

People talk about teams like the Spurs and Pistons killing a Finals for most of the country, but they are darlings compared to the two teams that played in the 1987 World Series.

What city did Secretariat hail from? He made that city into champions all by himself.

and where's gainesville? i seem to recollect something about a college winning 3 major national championships in a row!!!!

There were four cities/years that were "just of the radar" in the article. Gainesville '06-'07 is one of them.

i just wonder, though, if we will ever see another major university win a national football championship sandwiched between 2 national basketball championships again.

i just wonder, though, if we will ever see another major university win a national football championship sandwiched between 2 national basketball championships again.

I could be wrong but I don't think they count two championships ina row s being in one year. But that was quite an accoplishment.

I could be wrong but I don't think they count two championships ina row s being in one year. But that was quite an accoplishment.

actually, they won a football and basketball championship in the same calendar year.....2005-2006 for hoops and 2006 for football. and won a football and basketball championship in the same school year......2006 football and 2006-2007 for basketball.

From the article:
Gainesville, 2006-07: No matter which way you want to count it -- the basketball/football double-shot in 2006 or the football/basketball parlay in the 2006-07 school year, Gatorade never tasted more refreshing than when Florida won college's two major championships (Ohio State fans, however, may disagree). And if you want to get technical, the Gators won three titles in 365 days: their first hoops title on April 3, 2006; the BCS title on Jan. 8, 2007; and the hoops championship again on April 2, 2007.

Don't remember the year (it was before my time), but Detroit did own the Baseball, Football, and Hockey championships for that year, thus being proclaimed the "City of Champions". This was pre- Pistons, coming to Detroit.

actually, they won a football and basketball championship in the same calendar year.....2005-2006 for hoops and 2006 for football. and won a football and basketball championship in the same school year......2006 football and 2006-2007 for basketball.

Right but he mentioned THREE Chahampionships. My point was that that did not happen in one 12 month period. But i also pointed out that what they did winning back to back in one sport whie winning in another in between was VERY impressive even if it you can technically only count one championship in eash spoer as fallinf within one year.

Sorry if that was not clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts