BestBuy and Costco to stop selling recievers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stonecold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 23, 2004
Directv La La Land
Title says it all, why because customers cant read that it is a lease and not owned when they buy one from retail locations upgrades on equipment are to go through 1800-531-5000 ( national number )

Title says it all, why because customers cant read that it is a lease and not owned when they buy one from retail locations upgrades on equipment are to go through 1800-531-5000 ( national number )

This was one correct piece of information I got from a CSR in my quest for MRV.

I figured this would happen sooner or later .....

ALL boxes at Costco's are clearly labelled, but I remember when CC was open, they often did not make that info easily found.

Most BB stores don't want the hassle and not many there know how or what they are selling.

I use to help answer questions for the BB employees and customers when I would be in there.

I figured this would happen sooner or later .....

ALL boxes at Costco's are clearly labelled, but I remember when CC was open, they often did not make that info easily found.

Most BB stores don't want the hassle and not many there know how or what they are selling.

I use to help answer questions for the BB employees and customers when I would be in there.

I got my HR20-700 from BB. It was clearly marked as a lease. I don't recall the clerk saying anything about it, though.

it could be done easly with 2 things once you activated the receiver the CSR tells you it is leased and it will renew our contract.
Also when you purchase it a Message pops up so the clerk alerts you it is leased not owned.

CSR told me the same thing yesterday when I called to activate MRV on my network. It's too bad, but I see the point. It's a hard concept for someone to grasp when the pay for something at a cash register and find out they really don't own it.

I got my HR20-700 from BB. It was clearly marked as a lease. I don't recall the clerk saying anything about it, though.

I actually thought that the boxes were shipped with the label stating that .... I believe BB's were posted about a lease as well, but I know CC did nothing to tell people.

CSR told me the same thing yesterday when I called to activate MRV on my network. It's too bad, but I see the point. It's a hard concept for someone to grasp when the pay for something at a cash register and find out they really don't own it.

Just have to realize that your paying a small amount of the actual cost of the units.
the old HR20's well listed around $850 to OWN.

If I had to pay that for one, I would not have any ....

I had a Best Buy manager argue with me over the phone saying the boxes he bought from his store were his lol. So not even the manager of the store can read lol

it could be done easly with 2 things once you activated the receiver the CSR tells you it is leased and it will renew our contract.
Also when you purchase it a Message pops up so the clerk alerts you it is leased not owned.

Wouln't you think they should tell you this BEFORE they Activate ? :)

Why should anyone be surprised at this? A GREAT number of Americans are simply DUMB (maybe over 50%). And they are getting dumber all the time. The best indicator is to take a look at who they vote for.

I'm surprised that Costco hasn't gone out of this business a long time ago with their liberal return policy. While I've never "purchased" a receiver from Costco, I do take a look at their display from time to time and at least to my eye, it's VERY clear that the units are LEASED.

On Costco's HD TV receivers, they have had to put up a sign that says it's necessary to subscribe to a HD provider or have a OTA antenna to receive a HD signal. I've watched these idiots dragging their open box HD TV's back for a variety of reasons, some of which are lack of a HD signal.

We recently visited a senior who had a new HD TV and was watching only SD signals on basic cable (convinced that he was watching HD!). I did find a few HD channels for him via his built-in tuner that Comcast was not scrambling.

It's too bad that this has happened since the Costco price saved $30 a unit.

The BIG QUESTION is how in the hell did we ever land on the moon?

The customer will just say - yeah, yeah, whatever, not having a clue what the CSR was trying to tell them. Then 6 months later when try to cancel DIRECTV to switch to comcast they'll say - WHAT ??? I HAVE TO PAY AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE ?? I'M UNDER CONTRACT ?? !! :mad: Then they'll come here and bitch about it.

There use to be a time when D*'s webpage would tell you how long your commitment was when you had one, but thats gone as well to leave the sub guessing.

When I got a H20 from Best Buy in June 2006 (several months after leasing began), there was no mention of leasing and I didn't need to sign anything like I did earlier when purchasing a HDVR2 from them. If I had paid cash, nobody would have known that the box was in my possession. Of course I knew it was leased but not everybody would. A year or so later, I noticed a sign indicating that all receivers were leased.

Those wanting a specific model still can do that via several mail order sources. Even overstock.com is now carrying H24s.

I was gonna wait on Costco for the HR24, but now I don't need to since already purchased one at a lower price so no biggie if they ending DTV sales.

I was gonna wait on Costco for the HR24, but now I don't need to since already purchased one at a lower price so no biggie if they ending DTV sales.

At a lower price?
How do you know what the Costco price would have been ?

They may end up still having some, no word as to when they are ending the program.

If Costco does end up having them for awhile, I will seriously inquire.

Why should anyone be surprised at this? A GREAT number of Americans are simply DUMB (maybe over 50%). And they are getting dumber all the time. The best indicator is to take a look at who they vote for.

I'm surprised that Costco hasn't gone out of this business a long time ago with their liberal return policy. While I've never "purchased" a receiver from Costco, I do take a look at their display from time to time and at least to my eye, it's VERY clear that the units are LEASED.

On Costco's HD TV receivers, they have had to put up a sign that says it's necessary to subscribe to a HD provider or have a OTA antenna to receive a HD signal. I've watched these idiots dragging their open box HD TV's back for a variety of reasons, some of which are lack of a HD signal.

We recently visited a senior who had a new HD TV and was watching only SD signals on basic cable (convinced that he was watching HD!). I did find a few HD channels for him via his built-in tuner that Comcast was not scrambling.

It's too bad that this has happened since the Costco price saved $30 a unit.

The BIG QUESTION is how in the hell did we ever land on the moon?
What Costco loses in revenue due to returns, they gain in membership fees and pure volume of sales. It is their excellent customer service that allows them to generate a profit.

At a lower price?
How do you know what the Costco price would have been ?

Previous HR models average $249.99, that was the HR20 cost me back in the day
$147 and change for my HR24 is much lower indeed

I got a HR22 from Costco because it was so much cheaper than getting it through D*. And yes, as others have said it mentioned on the box that you did NOT own the receiver and that it was just a lease through D*. Good thing I don't plan on buying anymore receivers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)