BestBuy and ValueElectronics are taking pre-orders for Toshiba HD DVD!

I won't be spending anything on HD DVD until there is at least a universal player or the two camps get their act together and decide on a unified standard.

rad said:
I won't be spending anything on HD DVD until there is at least a universal player or the two camps get their act together and decide on a unified standard.

Plus one detail no one has mentioned as of yet. This first HD DVD by Toshiba is kinda ugly looking. Looks like a cheap CD recorder.

I will also sit out and wait til the 2nd/3rd generations will be out. Probably the HD-DVD Roms will be more price friendly anyways.

my 's

Robert, do you know if any of the "first run" HD DVD or BluRay units will have FireWire outputs? My Mitsubishi HDTV has a pair of 1394 inputs, but they will only accept MPEG 4 based feeds. Thus far, the only items I've found that support this combo are some high end JVC VCRs and cameras. If one of the new DVD formats supports this, they'll get my dime!

pro96 said:
Plus one detail no one has mentioned as of yet. This first HD DVD by Toshiba is kinda ugly looking. Looks like a cheap CD recorder.
I will also sit out and wait til the 2nd/3rd generations will be out. Probably the HD-DVD Roms will be more price friendly anyways.
my 's

I sincerely appreciate everyone's opinions. Here's my take on the design of the very first HD DVD player to hit the market. Toshiba has come out with a well positioned and very well priced HD DVD player line. My hat's off to all of the fine engineering and business development folks at Toshiba. Keep the competition hopping and sweating.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When I had my dealer VIP tour at Toshiba’s CES exhibit, of course, we spent a lot of time at the HD DVD area. Toshiba had several senior technical and management staff answering my questions and presenting the HD-A1/XA1 products.

I focused mostly on the stunning image quality generated by this beast. And very honestly I personally and professionally like the chassis and its mechanical design. I like the large round art deco styled sturdy stabilizing feet and the very well designed, rugged body construction. The HD-XA1 is very professionally designed with a slick black finish and glossy black motorized front door, which covers the dual USB ports and DVD loading door.

Most will agree that Toshiba’s sub $500 and the upgraded $800 models serve the demanding HD market very well. And the users will be enjoying stunning HD blockbuster movies to add exciting HD content to their home entertainment systems months before the thousand plus dollor Blu-rey players and expensive disc's becomne available. Why wait.

Like I said, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder (in this case the beholder will be the owners of this beauty in, shall we say… the beast)

-Robert

Last edited:
PNotar said:
Robert, do you know if any of the "first run" HD DVD or BluRay units will have FireWire outputs? My Mitsubishi HDTV has a pair of 1394 inputs, but they will only accept MPEG 4 based feeds. Thus far, the only items I've found that support this combo are some high end JVC VCRs and cameras. If one of the new DVD formats supports this, they'll get my dime!

Sorry not to the best of my knowledge. The best thing to connect to a HDTV's 1394 port would be a firewire HD DVR.

-Robert

That Rear panel view is for HD-XA1 I assume. Correct?

One thing for sue using Rober and V.E. for Pre-Orders is always good, he helps supports several of the DBS and Tivo Forums AND he always delivers first.

How does the Ethernet port work, will it be working on day one for down load services like Google, and Starz?

I changed the thread header!

Guys, if you are planning to pre-order an HD DVD player, please consider doing this through ValueElectronics - one of our Forum sponsors!

Please support those who support our forum!

Sean Mota said:
What are the USB ports for?
According to the PR, it is for convenient connection of gaming controllers

For those of us who are less sofisticated, what is the difference between the models, beyond the price? Also, how many HD-DVD movies are out and about, either for rent or purchase?

Also, I assume the upconverting will basically be similar to the current upconvertering DVD (non-HD) players, in picture quality that is?

Movie Priceing?

The one thing nobody has mentioned is, how much are the movies going to cost? Robert, what will the HD-DVD movie bundle cost?
Do'es anyone have any single movie pricing for both HD-DVD and Blue Ray?
Thanks,
Ben Music

charper1 said:
This model does not support DVD +R or DVD9 (this one is a MUST!)
Robert/DTV TiVo Dealer, congrats and many thanks for providing such detailed specs on your website--I'm looking forward to acquiring one from you soon.:bow Regarding charper1's quote above, do you have any independent knowledge that the lack of DVD9 support is accurate?? Most retail DVD titles today are authored as dual layer discs, which would mean that a sizeable chunk of our SD DVDs would be unplayable on this unit! Surely this is a misprint...?:confused:

Component Input Only

Robert, I would love to get one of your HD DVD units! My WS65905 only has component inputs. Any way to go from the HDMI output of the Toshiba to component in and be able to view the HD DVD in full HD?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts