Better route than retention

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GB33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Indianapolis
Many of you have read my posts over last month or so. I would like to keep DTV if possible and add the ability to record HD OTA. Problem is I am a thightass and would like to get the HR10-250 "free" w/o commiting to the hd package. Think I would get a better result (and by better I mean what I want) just going through regular route and select "cancel service" when the menu asks. Or does that autmaticaly kick me to retention?

Just call retention 800-824-9081. I received the HR10-250 free and all i get is total choice plus & HBO, All I had to pay was $20.00 S/H. I did have to recommit for two years though. Also it took 3 calls to retention to get it free. The first CSR wouldn't budge on the price. I immediately hung up and called right back, the second CSR gave me $150.00 off. I called the next day and the CSR noted my account had a note saying I could get it for$150.00 off, The CSR asked what I wanted and I told him I wanted the best deal without having to call everyday and get a different price. He then gave it to me for free:hatsoff:

Yeah John I have heard your good story, unfortunately I do not get those nice people. Instead I get wise-asses that tell me that Dish's HD programming is just pictures of food and monsters. Besides I would maybe do a 1yr commitment, not 2, and I read elsewhere that you also pay $3 extra each month to have it correct?

$3.00 extra ? Are you talking about a lease fee ? I have to pay a $4.99 lease fee, but it replaces a mirror fee so I'm not out any more cash. You gotta play CSR roulette. I know it sucks but it seems you just have to get the right CSR.Personally, I think their allowed to give a certin number away and once they reach that number then they wont budge. It is messed up though. Although I did have to recommit for two years. Good luck - It will work out once you get the "right" CSR

GB33 maybe you are too much of a tightass and your account is marked for limited offers. If retention won't offer what you want just leave you are getting the best they will offer you.

I called retention 2 weeks ago and was promised the H10. Amazingly, the installer came yesterday with the HR20. But as the previous poster said, I do spend quite a bit of money there (premium and NFL ticket) so that might explain it.

Try calling retention a few times. Do not use the cancelling angle. Tell them you are very interested in going to HD and need to see how much it costs to fit your budget. You can get the HR10 for S&H only and 4 mo's HD for free. Once the 4mo's is up cancel it if you do not want it.

It took me 2 calls to get the HR10 free, 6mo's of showtime, and hd free for 4 mo's

Hey GB33,
You would be much better off, if you just installed an Off Air Antenna, buy an HD converter, and then all of your local stuff will be free!!! Don't bother with the quality programming that will cost you money, and certainly don't commit yourself to anything!!! Your wife doesn't ask you to commit to anything does she???

Just look at all the money you will save!!!

Hey Dr. Bob. I already have an OTA HD tuner built into television , it's that I want to be able to record HD OTA. SD Directv locals are just bad looking, period. I apreciate your response, but the key here is recording. By the way, I like your sig!

GB33 said:
Hey Dr. Bob. I already have an OTA HD tuner built into television , it's that I want to be able to record HD OTA. SD Directv locals are just bad looking, period. I apreciate your response, but the key here is recording. By the way, I like your sig!

Great, then the only DVR that is worth having, is the TiVO HD Recorder!!! The rest of them are nothing but expensive junk... Unless of course you want a commercial unit, and they start at $3,500.00 for the quality ones... Nothing but the best, is what I always say... RONTGLMAO....

Tivo is great except for the fact it reduces PQ as the provider DVR's do not.

Yes I had to do 2 years, and when i got locals in my area and add the HR20 i'll agree to another 2 years. Does not bother me.

There is no way around the 2 year commitment. You are asking D* to give you a expensive piece of equipment for free and not have to pay for any programing to help them recoup the cost. I wonder why they do not want to do this?

GB33 said:
Tivo reduces pic quality, and regular dvr's do not?! Must be a Broncos fan!

If you have a tivo(especially an SD one) up against a sat or cable dvr the PQ is much worse with the tivo. The series 2 tivo I bought(last POS I ever by from that company) had a horrible PQ compared to the "oh so wonderful" SA 8300 comcast gives you.

Tivo has great software, I'll give em that, but the reduced PQ sucks and I'll never buy another Tivo DVR.

I lucked out on an H20. I was replacing a 10 year old Sony receiver and 18 inch dish, and was quoted $100 for the H20. Called back the next day, mentioned how all my neighbors are going with with Dish TV, and got the H20 for free. I think they will do this for a long time customer with several receivers (I have 3).

Is the H20 the new HD DVR or just HD box? I actually think I would rather have the HR10-250. I enjoy Tivo menus and don't care about the new Mpeg4 stuff, just want to record OTA locals in HD.

Well, I FINALLY got what I wanted. So now I can quit coming on here crying over not getting "the offer" . As well as going crazy deciding between DTV and Dish. I am very happy with the deal.
My wife can work wonders ON THE PHONE with csr reps, so I sent her to try one last time. Actually she did not need to get fiesty at all and everything was smooth and cordial. Got the HR10-250 (did not want new HR20) 4mo of HD, $10 off of bill for 1yr. Also no $20 shipping and handling for box as she asked them to waive and they did. And best of all I get to keep all the same channels and numbers I am used to and am familiar with. While not to the extreme that some may get, I feel a sense of "loyalty" to DTV. They have given me no reason to leave or bad talk them, I just wanted to upgrade and save a few bucks as the allmighty dollar rules all. Luckily I was able to do thatand stick with them instead of leave.
Rep also said they may install 5-lnb dish even though it is not needed currently (I have 3-lnb) but it varies. I have read mixed things on this. Some report more rain fade, others less. Is the the AT9 I see people referring to? Also, though she did not mention it will they install an antenna you think? I currently have a Radio Shack double bowtie in attic diplexed in. Does pretty good for most part, but my TV's tuner is ancient (2002) so I am hoping it is even better with the new box's tuner.
Thanks for everyones help and sugestions in all forums. But now my wife asks what will I spend endless hours on the internet researching to avoid her. My tv and sat radio are all good to go. Maybe I will look into the AT9 thing! Especially seeing as OTA cannot be diplexed into it?!

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)