Better signal strength??

dnhd

Original poster
Aug 5, 2008
i just got DN yesterday and i would like to know how can i check the signal strength? i have VIP 211k receiver and some transponder has better signal strength then others. is there any way that i can change to better signal strength transponder?

the reason i ask is because my channels are not that clear and some of the HD channels look like regular channel.

i'm paying a lot to DN every month and i want to get the best signal possible.

i have 1 dish for 110 119 and another one for 61.5

Thanks

Unfortunately more signal is not going to improve what you are describing. If you have occasional dropouts (loss of signal where picture freezes, goes black, or "pixellates") then a larger dish might help. What you are describing sounds like Dish Network's standard compression at work. SD channels look kind of blurry around the edges, maybe with kind of a "halo" around images, and HD is similar but a bit sharper, and not nearly as good as Blu-ray.

Also, not every HD channel is going to show all HD programming all the time. Most of them (except for HD Net and HD Net Movies) are going to show some older SD programming. SciFi channel, for example, shows most of its programming during the day in SD. At least on SciFi though you can always tell if a program is in SD or HD by their logo in the lower right corner of the screen. When they are showing an HD program the logo says "SciFi HD". I can't think of another channel that does that.

Unfortunately more signal is not going to improve what you are describing. If you have occasional dropouts (loss of signal where picture freezes, goes black, or "pixellates") then a larger dish might help. What you are describing sounds like Dish Network's standard compression at work. SD channels look kind of blurry around the edges, maybe with kind of a "halo" around images, and HD is similar but a bit sharper, and not nearly as good as Blu-ray.

Also, not every HD channel is going to show all HD programming all the time. Most of them (except for HD Net and HD Net Movies) are going to show some older SD programming. SciFi channel, for example, shows most of its programming during the day in SD. At least on SciFi though you can always tell if a program is in SD or HD by their logo in the lower right corner of the screen. When they are showing an HD program the logo says "SciFi HD". I can't think of another channel that does that.

so what's going to improve if i get the better siginal strength.

why am i getter tho see through lines on the left and right edges on the SD channels? is this normal?

when i go to Menu 6 1 1 on the remote most of the SD channels are around 45- 60 mix and HD channels are 65 max

my friend has DN also and he got around 80-85 on SD channel

should i call DN to re aim the dish? do you guys think it will be free because i just got it install like 3 days ago.

Thanks

i just got DN yesterday and i would like to know how can i check the signal strength? i have VIP 211k receiver and some transponder has better signal strength then others. is there any way that i can change to better signal strength transponder?

the reason i ask is because my channels are not that clear and some of the HD channels look like regular channel.

i'm paying a lot to DN every month and i want to get the best signal possible.

i have 1 dish for 110 119 and another one for 61.5

Thanks

This is not a signal problem. some transponders will always be higher or lower than others. you cannot "select" a transponder, channels are tied to them on the satellite. If you are using a large screen TV, SD pictures will look worse than on a smaller screen. Not everything on an HD channel is actually HD yet. They have a long way to go.

Grab your owners manuals for your Dish Box and your TV and tweak the settings to get the best possible picture.

Often you may have to change settings between using HD and SD content.

Technology is far from perfect. Thats life.

The HD channels that look like SD are probably SD at the time you are watching.

Almost nothing is 100% HD since Voom is gone.

ok but i get signal strength around 60 to 72. All the HD channels get 63. is this normal? do i need to call DN to reaim the dish?

Thanks

Your signal strength readings are perfectly normal and very acceptable. Nothing needs to change there.

You need to tweak the receiver setting to find what works for your tv. For example view some HD and switch back and forth between 720p and 1080i.

ok but i get signal strength around 60 to 72. All the HD channels get 63. is this normal? do i need to call DN to reaim the dish?

Thanks

63 for your HD is pretty good.

Don't be misled by the signal strength screen going up to 125. That's a holdover from the way Dish use to measure signal strength.

Check the settings on your HD TV set. Maske sure you are displaying the 720P/1080I settings. You have to go into the actual TV set menu to do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts