Beware of Sony HDTV's and DVI COnflicts Before Getting VOOM

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
After 10 days of VOOM, I thought, hey, this is great--had parties planned--have to cancel. Found out on the Help Forum that there has been a problem for several months with a DVI Conflict with various SONY HDTV's. They are very popular and yet this DVI Conflict has not been addressed.

There was mention of a new receiver in March--but have seen nothing more on this "new" receiver. It is an admitted Software COnflict and seems nothing can be done--we, who paid big $$$$ for Sony, have to use the component cables.

I am going to pursue this--but I wish I had known--I am stuck with the great DVI connection on my SONY and can't use it for HD.

I have a Sony KDE42XBR950 plasma and use the DVI with no problem...excellent PQ with VOOM...

and even if the dvi was having pblms, no big deal, just use the componant inputs, the picture quality is the same on both IMHO!!!!!!!

richard_rd said:
and even if the dvi was having pblms, no big deal, just use the componant inputs, the picture quality is the same on both IMHO!!!!!!!
Yep try using component.

Especially since the Sony's convert DVI to analog internally first (before again being converted to digital for display). So you actually have one less A/D conversion using component.

Rob.

agree.... use the component video... outstanding picture quality....some people prefer component over DVI and some DVI over component....It depends on each monitor how it process the signal.

I have a Sony XS series Plasma. No problems with the DVI for me. Maybe its just your model, whats your series or model number?

Early on there was a problem with the Samsung DLP DVI and VOOM. However, I am not sure which update it was, it is corrected. I am back using DVI and the old problems are not there. I know it has nothing to do with your problem but just thought I would share that info.

I've been watching VOOM since Feb 10th, 2004 on my 50 inch Sony GW LCD using only DVI and it's been absolutely amazing. Maybe your TV is defective?

rvsixer said:
Yep try using component.

Especially since the Sony's convert DVI to analog internally first (before again being converted to digital for display). So you actually have one less A/D conversion using component.

Rob.

The thread under the Help Forum has a LOT of Sony owners with this same problem. So, the 42 Wega does this same conversion of DVI to analog when using a DVI to HDMI connection? I was told by SONY techs just the opposite--that is NOT the case for DVI to HDMI, but for component.

Do you have a different model? Mine is a new LCD Rear Projection. But will check again.

There are 3 pages of messages from Sony owners with the same problem under Help forum.

"bookwalk", are you using the component inputs currently?

bookwalk said:
The thread under the Help Forum has a LOT of Sony owners with this same problem. So, the 42 Wega does this same conversion of DVI to analog when using a DVI to HDMI connection? I was told by SONY techs just the opposite--that is NOT the case for DVI to HDMI, but for component.

Do you have a different model? Mine is a new LCD Rear Projection. But will check again.

There are 3 pages of messages from Sony owners with the same problem under Help forum.

I know you had a recent install. Is the Sony brand new since the install? Although I can't speak for your Sony (and I know there have been posts about the Sony DVI problem) we don't have the option of even using DVI on our projector but have stunning PQ using component input.

You've got to have those VOOM parties before planting season arrives!

Good luck.

Still watching a stunning HD picture via component cables under mostly clear (rain promised tomorrow night!) Seattle skies, Gill

bookwalk said:
After 10 days of VOOM, I thought, hey, this is great--had parties planned--have to cancel.

why would you cancel your party just because you couldnt use the dvi connection? thats the strangest thing ive heard in a while-lol

bookwalk said:

I don't have one of these sets (almost got one, but semi-yearly $300 bulb replacements scared me off :yikes)

During my pre-purchase research, there were some engineer types at avsforum.com (Rear Projection section) that went through the Sony schematics for the LCD RPTV's. The DVI/HDMI inputs apparently get converted to analog (i.e. component), and then back to digital for the display.

Good luck,

Rob.

I have a Sony KDF-50WE655 and had the dreadful DVI Conflict. I was using an adapter HDMI/DVI into the Sony and a DVI cable from the adapter into the voom box. Got tired of the DVI conflict message went Component. Noticed little ghost like things (I think they call them articles) similar to what was on the movie predator just not as obvious. Broke down and bought a DVI/HDMI monster cable and no doubt picture quality came back. If I can learn to copy the picture onto the memory stick I will post a sample.
So far no error messages. Maybe there is something to paying out the ass for a cable. Anyone with Sony particularly Grand WEGA using DVI/HDMI cable can you disclose the cable and weather or not you have the problem.