BHN Customer Service Rocks

R-U-Q-R-U

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
Central Florida
Recently I switched from E* to BHN and they gave me a 12 month promo. This allowed me to have an HD PVR without buying expensive Dish equipment. Last week I added a second SA8300HD and swapped out an SD box. Some how when the CSR added my new HD PVR they blew out my promo -- I knew this because my statement online showed a much higher monthly rate.

Anyways -- after calling the CSR could not restore my original promo. After some hold time the CSR worked with her supervisor to put me on a new promo that gave me 12 months of reduced rate starting now AND a FREE month of service. This is worth a lot because I now have 3 PVR's and one plain digital box. I also have the Digital Cable Ultimate pack and HD pack.

The CSR's at BHN always are helpful and really work to help you. They have my business from now on and I will not ever go back to E* ;)

there are alot of good cable companies out there and alot of bad ones. we in tampa are lucky and have a good one, in my opinion.

when the tech hooked up your 8300hd, did he use the RCA cables? or did he bring the dvi cable to use with??

If he didn't take the time and run down to best buy and pick up a DVI to HDMI cable... you wont regret it.... if you think your hd is clear now, its better with the cable....

Khandurian.....

BHN isn't the worst but they aren't close to great. They have a very slow track record as far as adding new services such as On Demand as well as just being slow on adding new HD channels but this is more of a TWC/BHN corp issue than our local BHN system. Now in your case you got very lucky to get that promo because at one time I was with BHN (TWC before and Paragon Cable before that) for at least 6 years always ordering everything and about two years ago they just pretty much said to not let the door hit me on the way out. They wouldn't do anything to keep me. Now on top of that once DirecTV started to down rez their HD offerings while DirecTV kept on having to replace my HD Tivo and ended up getting tired of DirecTV so when BHN called me up to offer me a promo I asked to think about it for a day and the rep said they would note my account via phone number of this promo if I wanted to call back and take it.

Well I did call back two weeks later and they never did note the account so all I could get out of this company was just a 15 bucks a month discount for the next year. I was originally told it would be 25 bucks a month off but they refused to honor that because it wasn't noted on my account.

My next problem six months later was when I tried to add phone service and they killed off my promo so my bill went from 188 to 268 per month. Well I got upset about that and I finally for the first time got a rep that did something to keep me. They gave me everything I had before plus the phone service in a bundled rate with taxes of about 210 bucks a month for the next year. So at least they did something good but just be aware that they tend to screw us over any chance they get. Also if you have a promo and add another box or change anything make sure they reapply your promo because for some reason any change they make kicks out the promo which requires the promo to be entered into the system again.

i've gotten to know one of the csr supervisors here locally, who has always gone out of her way to be helpful and work with me. that goes a long way in my book.

it could be worse.

I wish I could say the same for Brighthouse here in Michigan. My 12 month promotion just ran out ..... bill jumped up to $95 a month (!), called them up and told them I'm switching to Dish, they didn't take the bait and offer to give me another promotion, so I guess I will actually be switching to Dish now!

For digital cable only + HD channels (no movies), it's $64 a month here. That is a total rip. Dish network has a program right now for no money down no committment no equipment to buy for $19.99 for 3 months, then $31.99 for the next 3 months, then $41.99 for as long as you have the service. I'd stick with BHN if they just offered *something* that isn't an obvious waste of money (difference of $23 to 45 a month is a lot in my opinion).

Last edited:
its only $55 here in central florida and less if you have the bundled services. actually, for what i was paying for hd on directv, even with the basic programming, it was only a few dollars less.

Customer Service, gotta love that play on words...wherever you are, you really are lucky to have good service. My experiences here in Central Fl. have been a giant joke. Both with the phone reps and the Techs. First, there are 2 sections of phone reps, one in the building where your "branch" is, and then the "after hours" reps that are based in Canada. (yes, Canada.) If you get Canada, they have to send a message to your branch via some form of inter-office low-budget e-mail system that could take days to answer. (Great use of 21st century technology they are using-explains the overall business quality). If you get a " local" phone rep, they log information into their end of the computer system based on however they feel, and whatever they want to write. I found this out because I have had to call a couple of times in succession to get correct information and updates on the notes left to address the correct department head it needed to go. I have had many different replies read back to me based on what was originally discussed. I have had instances where my issue or work order was either completely ignored by the phone rep and not entered into the computer at all or the info was blatenly wrong. I have had phone reps debate and argue issues with me based on their personal feelings or moods they were in. My personal favorite example was the one phone rep asked me how my TV was hooked up. When I told them S-Video cables were used, I was told I was wrong because I didn't use the cable co-ax to my TV. I also have been told by phone reps that appointments were cancelled by me when there were no appointments made on the date of question. I really wished they recorded the conversations, (like they claim some are for whatever purposes) because I would like to have them played back for their so-called quality control.
I have also had many poor experiences with the service techs. My biggest peeve is the fact that they do not introduce who they are when you answer the door. At most I have gotten a "you called cable " response or pointing to the sewn on patch on their shirt. Very Unprofessional. In discussion with techs,I have been given every "used car salesman" pitch available, from sharpness on my TV is set too good or "that's the way analogue is". I know they are just excuses, because they are the same ones repeated that we have been recieving for many years. Tech training is very low. Most of the techs have never seen or heard of Tivo before and we are supposed to believe their "repair experience" and be happy with their judgement. The absolute topper on the cake, is the fact that the techs have to log in each service call made in the day, not at the time completed, but when they return to the main office-at the end of the day...or when they get back to the office.....Whenever that is. So one tech can have like, 10 service calls in a row and be expected to remember each detail exactly on every single call to record in the computer later.
I have had techs tell me they will enter my information tomorrow, because it is late and they want to go home. What? Either way, Now I know why all the information on my account is all wrong. Also, We, as customers, do not get a work order sheet from the tech, thus not proving anything as to what they said or did. How can proper steps be taken to fix issues, if there is no record to look at? Then the techs go outside to look at the wiring outside and just leave. No nothing, they just get in their vehicle and leave. Really good service practices. Explanations by the management blaming owners blaming stockholders and what not for the lack good service is an excuse I am getting tired of. But heaven forbid they don't get your check ontime...that's when they will do something. Good future to look forward to.

i have to admit, all the techs who come to my home, call me 10 minutes before they get there. then, they always knock on the door and say ``bright house.''

a couple of weeks ago, i moved next door. i went to sked an appointment to transfer my services but experience a problem. the previous tennant, who had been evicted, was suppose to call bhn and tell them to disconnect her.

after, getting into a shouting match with the csar, i hung-up and called the supervisor, i know. the problem was resolved......plus, the tech was two hours early and had me hooked up in time for football. i can't complain.

korsjs said:
there are alot of good cable companies out there and alot of bad ones. we in tampa are lucky and have a good one, in my opinion....except for their analog channels that look like they are getting worse and worse.

Now if the Network HD Channels looked as good as they do over the air.

In that regard, the Network HD Channels are dropping in quality just like their Analog Counterparts on BHN.

Last edited:
dominogold"My 12 month promotion just ran out ..... bill jumped up to $95 a month (!), called them up and told them I'm switching to Dish, they didn't take the bait and offer to give me another promotion, so I guess I will actually be switching to Dish now!"
Well domino do you really expect a company to just offer you special pricing because you threaten to switch? that has nothing to do with customer service.. If you were recevieing bad service you should expect them to cut you a price break but from what you said your service has been fine.. Otherwise everyone and there mom would jsut call the cable company and say " Im gonna get dish!!!" and everyone would be on a special price plan.. so why even have the price plan special?? if everyone gets it.. Shouldnt try to defraud a customer service rep otherwise it hurts the people who really have a problem..
and mirage to answer you problems you've had with the recent trouble calls to your house, if all the techs are telling you the same thing then its probley true. if your complaining about the quality of the analog picture there is nothing the service tech can do really to fix it, if they say the signals are within specs. the FCC regulates a need of 0/db behind a tv, BHN standards demand -5 to +5 which as analog goes anywhere in that range (as long as its not nosiey) should provide a decent (when i say decent i mean better then ant, but not digital) picture. ..
Also if you have ever worked in the customer service industry before, you know that at a big call center its easy to get lost. when CSPs are on a phone call and they note an acc they uselly abrviate everything so it may look like "sub called said pic snowy" when you speant 25 mins explaining them the real problem all the next person sees is the small abbrviations. not saying thats acceptable but the majority of people who have problems vs the majority who dont is so greatly outnumberd that it seems to work ok.. NO customer service portion of any company is perfect.. there is alway someone who slips through the cracks. no matter who you deal with. its bound to happen ohh and one more thing BHN is not worried about shareholders they are a privately held company..

Last edited:
stevenl said:
dominogold"My 12 month promotion just ran out ..... bill jumped up to $95 a month (!), called them up and told them I'm switching to Dish, they didn't take the bait and offer to give me another promotion, so I guess I will actually be switching to Dish now!"
Well domino do you really expect a company to just offer you special pricing because you threaten to switch? that has nothing to do with customer service.. If you were recevieing bad service you should expect them to cut you a price break but from what you said your service has been fine.. Otherwise everyone and there mom would jsut call the cable company and say " Im gonna get dish!!!" and everyone would be on a special price plan.. so why even have the price plan special?? if everyone gets it.. Shouldnt try to defraud a customer service rep otherwise it hurts the people who really have a problem..
and mirage to answer you problems you've had with the recent trouble calls to your house, if all the techs are telling you the same thing then its probley true. if your complaining about the quality of the analog picture there is nothing the service tech can do really to fix it, if they say the signals are within specs. the FCC regulates a need of 0/db behind a tv, BHN standards demand -5 to +5 which as analog goes anywhere in that range (as long as its not nosiey) should provide a decent (when i say decent i mean better then ant, but not digital) picture. ..
Also if you have ever worked in the customer service industry before, you know that at a big call center its easy to get lost. when CSPs are on a phone call and they note an acc they uselly abrviate everything so it may look like "sub called said pic snowy" when you speant 25 mins explaining them the real problem all the next person sees is the small abbrviations. not saying thats acceptable but the majority of people who have problems vs the majority who dont is so greatly outnumberd that it seems to work ok.. NO customer service portion of any company is perfect.. there is alway someone who slips through the cracks. no matter who you deal with. its bound to happen

apparently you have not kept up with this recent thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?p=436291#post436291
Dish is doing crap like this ALL the time.

Sorry I didnt know that, its good to hear, most dish customers i speak to (not sure ifvoom,directv,dishnetwork dont ask) but uselly when they have service issuses with inside wireing, the customer uselly gets charge a truck fee + perhour/work fee. where as with BHN and many cable companies all inside wireing is coverd if it goes bad they replace/fix it free..

made a good observation. We will replace inside wiring for free if our workmanship caused the failure. If there dog chews it, they split into it, etc. I will charge a $35 or so. Usually most people have gotton to where they will pay to have additional outlets put in, etc. since cable gurantee's there work and for $25 to do it, it's cheap too. I'm guessing your in Florida, you would need a bigger dish to cut down on the rain fade. Dish and DirecTV doesn't pay for the "upgrade". BHN tech's seem to be on the ball. Every company however is different, techs are only as good as management. If they offered you another deal, jump on it. working it to your advantage.

There are good and bad techs, installers and CSR agents in every company. Hopefully you get the good ones.

Very few people have the cellphone number of the tech that works the area or direct access to the people at NOC.

And quite frankly, Verizon is paying techs more out of the box for their Fios unit than Brighthouse is paying techs after a number of years.

Unless you have made the connections to get things done, its a luck of the draw in any Company.

isnt that the truth HDfantic... Alot of BHN techs have been going to work for verizon and anyone who has ever worked the cable industry knows that people go with the money (alot of them at least) people move state to state whenever there is a big system launching a new tool (like HSD or digital phone) just because companys always pay more when they are hurting for people.. once the system gets old and not many upgrades company the good techs move on and those left are those who are tired of moving, or just have already put so much time in it doesnt beenfit them to leave. Once verizon's hype is over as "The new thing" sorta like the beanie baby or the tickle me elmo, well see if it has staying power, certainly it has the technology to suceed, but BHN and other cable companys have such a strong foot in the ground it will be hard to convert their customers.. customers are allready connected everywhere through BHN and other cable companys voice, data, tv it will be real hard to get people to switch because they fear the hassle, and as long as they are semi happy with BHN theyl avoid the trouble.. now the "tech nerds" will switch just for the "HEY i fot fiber to my house" the people wiht very large incomes will switch (or keep both like they do with cable+dish) just so they can be 'in' but the majority of the people BHN serve the single familys and MDUs will not be to strongly affected unless verizon can offer them the world. Oh, and all the people who owe BHN money past due and who've been shut off just like other low cost providers (dish all over the ghetto) and whos 'credit' with BHN has failed theyll switch to, because they already owe BHN and Dish tons of money..
Many people from the south remember "AmeriCast" bellsouths attempt at TV through microwave... at the time is was the new 'it' to have but to quote vh1 .. were are they now?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts