Big 10 Network...... Bad TV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't totally agree with this, but I will say I am dissappointed. All new channels have to work out the bugs. In the end I think this guy will proven wrong...hope so.

Bad TV . . . Bad! | IndyStar.com

I love BTN. They are delivering what they said they would. It's definitely not for everyone. My wife thinks I'm nuts when every night at 9pm I have to have everything quiet in the house for Big Ten Tonight.

B10 is in a lull right now for programming, Football is the main sport right now, it will really hit its stride in a couple months when Basketball (Mens and Womens) gets going, along with Hockey, Wrestling and other sports. then there will be new content on a nightly basis, and the alt channels will have some regular action on them.

I just hope they keep it all in HD like they say they are going to.

We still can't get the network in columbus on cable (minus Insight) , which really pisses a lot of people off (inc myself). If dish/DTV would allow to sub al a carte, then I'd sign up.

Of course, I'd be cancelling once basketball is over and back on when football comes back.

Missing the shows isn't a big deal to me, its missing the games that use to be on broadcast tv that REALLY makes me mad. OSU games this season that were on the BTN, were on WBNS (CSB aff) in the past. Now, we have to pay for it? What always made me bad with pay tv is the fact that you still have to suffer with commericals. Broadcast TV I understand, Ads is how they make their money and forcing me to watch them is "my payment" in a sense. But to have to do both is just wrong IMO.

On a side note, I like what ESPN/ABC did last weekend and hope they contiune to do so. PSU/Mich was the scheduled ABC game in our area at 3:30pm est. On ESPN, OSU/NW was on the same time. In the columbus market, ABC switched it so the bucks were on ABC for everyone to watch the local game. PSU/MICH was switched to ESPN.

I almost think that this is ABC/ESPN's way of fighting the BTN. Local markets should not be shut out of their local team! I really hope that ABC?ESPN continue with this pratice in columbus and other markets with the same circumstances.

Oh yeah....When your in the 'shoe, there is are two things that will guarentee a boo.
1) Showing the scoreboard with UM winning
2) BTN ads!!

Even when its Tressel doing the ad, they still boo. :)

I say if people don't like it, they don't have to watch it.

THAT I agree with. Everytime something new comes along there is always some know nothing critic that has to condem it.

Myself, I hoping for some classic 50s, 60s, 70s fotball videos for a time filler. Every afternoon during the first week they showed last years Ohipo State-Michigan game. Great game, but they ran it into the ground.

off topic for this thread, but . . .

Wrong thread for this, but I just had to give you a "hell yea!" on your point:
What always made me bad with pay tv is the fact that you still have to suffer with commericals.
Broadcast TV I understand, Ads is how they make their money and forcing me to watch them is "my payment" in a sense.
But to have to do both is just wrong IMO.

We still can't get the network in columbus on cable (minus Insight) , which really pisses a lot of people off (inc myself). If dish/DTV would allow to sub al a carte, then I'd sign up.

Call up Dish and ask. They sell locals ala carte and BTN is sort of a different animal, not really a national channel but receiving that treatment. They might be able to do it, I doubt it, but it might get them to talking to BTN, who needs some more eyes. Of course they charge the $5 administration fee for the ala carte locals, etc., on top of the charge for the channel(s). Plus you will need to get their equipment.

Call up Dish and ask. They sell locals ala carte and BTN is sort of a different animal, not really a national channel but receiving that treatment. They might be able to do it, I doubt it, but it might get them to talking to BTN, who needs some more eyes. Of course they charge the $5 administration fee for the ala carte locals, etc., on top of the charge for the channel(s). Plus you will need to get their equipment.

I have some old legacy epuipment. Otherwise, I can always pick up a box at Sadoun (maybe some good deals if the last Dish chat holds true :) )

I use to just sub to HBO and Showtime back in the day with my Dish 5000 w/hd modualtor. I think it cost me about $24/month. When you think about $5 plus the channel cost, its not a bad deal.

hell, setanta sports costs $15/mont on globecast! I might pay the same for BTN when BB season starts up.

If you want to kick somebody in the knees, and Dish isn't receptive, go call that company that subscribes out the distant locals (on Dish).
Ask them to offer you the channel.
They'd have to set it up with Dish, but they'd sure have a lot more leverage with Dish that you or I would calling and talking to someone from Pakistan or India. *

* I have some great friends from both places. Far from both places.

B10 is in a lull right now for programming, Football is the main sport right now, it will really hit its stride in a couple months when Basketball (Mens and Womens) gets going, along with Hockey, Wrestling and other sports. then there will be new content on a nightly basis, and the alt channels will have some regular action on them.

I just hope they keep it all in HD like they say they are going to.
I'll have to Question the Hockey, as the schools may have Hockey Teams, none are in the Big Ten. The schools are, but not the Hockey Teams. But, it will be great if they do, it would certainly put more appeal in the BTN for me if they have hockey.

Al

Is it true that BTN shows like 5 minutes of Commericals each break?? I was listening to the Michigan vs. Northwestern game online yesterday (since I cant get BTN here which was showing the game) and the radio guys on the Michigan Radio Network where making a comment that it seemed like the BTN Commercial breaks where too long.

I'll have to Question the Hockey, as the schools may have Hockey Teams, none are in the Big Ten. The schools are, but not the Hockey Teams. But, it will be great if they do, it would certainly put more appeal in the BTN for me if they have hockey.

Al

They will be carrying some games. Not many but they will be carrying some WCHA games featuring teams that are normally in the Big 10 (MN, WI)

I know Bucky has 3 or 4 and Goofy Gopher has a few

Big Ten Network

Last edited:
BTN is not "fledgling..."

They are a Fox network. BTN's lead announcing crew (Brennaman and Davis) did the BCS Title Game last year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)