This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Big announcement by Verizon! (FiOS)

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada

This is huge, Once FiOS is here I will be saying goodbye to AT&T and Charter.

Can anyone show me the sites out there that will allow me to actually use the full feature speeds Fios is offering? I rarely find a site that lets me download much over 1meg speeds. Sure I would welcome some increased uploads over my current 1.5meg, but what sites allow uses to up load at 20meg?

I have FiOS at the 5/2 level, and some sites do download at the 5 Mb/s speed (typically downloads from software providers). I don’t sense that I ever get uploads at 2Mb/s, though.

Like you say, there’s little incentive to go for the highest rates until destination computers can keep up with it. I imagine sites that download movies will want to install the necessary hardware to make the experience more acceptable.

Wow, what sites are giving you those download speeds? Microsoft is the best one I ever get fast downloads from, but usually just over 1meg.

The only way I see me needing all that bandwidth at a home is when my kids really get into computers and with 5 or so PC's running stuff simultaneously then the extra room would be nice. But right now with 10/1.5 fro Uverse, we can stream netflix, run bittorrent downloads, browse heavy bandwidth pages, online game, and surf the web while uploading hundreds of pictures to our developer site and not run into any issues or slowdowns. The only part that gets affected is the upload right now and it is minimal.

yes speedtest.verizon.net

a couple others are speakeasy.net

and the best one out there

http://ciseweb100.cise-nsf.gov:7123/

Step on me, Verizon, PLEASE! I'd love to be in your Fios footprint! Thankfully, they're digging up yards just a few blocks away. Maybe I'll see them within a year.

I am very annoyed that Verizon is only expanding slowly in the East coast, they aren't coming west at all.
Its been years now, and the company itself is slow.
Look at U-Verse, they are expanding very fast no problem.
If Verizon takes another 10 years to come to the west coast, the whole purpose of FiOS will fail.

What parts of the west are you talking about? They are putting FIOS up in parts of their service area in Texas. You have UVerse which means you're in AT&T terratory then chance are very slim that Verizon would overbuild your location for FIOS.

huh where do u live?? They are in california and texas and select states in between

I doubt it be by the states, probably by the towns..
I am in Reno,Nevada.

You may be thinking of the old AT&T Long Distance. AT&T is the ILEC (Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier) for certain geographic areas, as is Verizon and some others. In other words, AT&T is the local phone company. It is very rare for there to be more than one local phone company. But there are other "phone companies" such as Cavalier, a CLEC, that repackage and resell services.

It is quite unlikely that Verizon would offer Fios, i.e., phone service, to places not in their geographic area, where they are the ILEC.

Before AT&T there was Nevada Bell and then SBC and now the new AT&T.
Crap, I'll be stuck with AT&T for life until Charter comes up with DSIOC 3.0

Wow, what sites are giving you those download speeds? Microsoft is the best one I ever get fast downloads from, but usually just over 1meg. …
Microsoft almost always transfers to me at 5 Mb/s.

When you see the download speed in the box, don’t forget to make a speed adjustment. The numbers provided are megabytes per second, not megabits. My downloads will show something like 640 MB/s – I multiply that number by 8 bits-per-byte to get the speed (5120 Mb/s in that case).

They are in a couple places in Cali and New Jersey