Big Dish for C-Band

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
is this a good deal

Hey guys, is this a good deal for this dish for pulling in C-band,
UNIDEN UST 705 AND WINEGUARD SATELLITE DISH

I haven't ventured off the KU band yet, would I be able to mount a newer C-Band LNB on this baby.
Hello Marco 916,
First let me say Welcome as this is the first time I've seen one of your postings!
:welcome

Now secondly to answer your question, “is this a good deal for this dish for pulling in C-band,”?
My answer to you is that I’ve been there. You’re excited in getting a big dish. That’s how I was too. That’s great; we like to see the excitement growing for you! You may find some dishes and ask about them and be told I wouldn’t buy it! However believe me we will never stir you wrong!

Now to the answer that you have been waiting for. It’s kind of hard to look at the dish or the photo’s because they won’t expand into a larger image. From looking at the mesh on the bottom left image it appears that the mesh is damaged. It may be or may not be damaged but it does show its age. The ad does not say the size either. Marco I would pass on this one. That may be hard for you to take, it was for me when I first got into this. There are a lot more out there that are FREE and the people are willing to just get rid of them.

I would suggest that you take some extra time and go Satellite Dish Hunting. Go all around and travel down the roads that you normally don’t take. Drive slow so you don’t miss anything. You be surprise at the amount you see when you looking for them. They seem to pop out for you just as you are driving by. Usually you will see them on the side of the homes in the back yard.

I would suggest that you make up your own ad for Craig’s List. That’s what I did and I got a whole lot of e-mail asking me to take there dishes for free! And they were in better condition then the one in the ad for 50 dollars! Make your ad something like this if you want:

[pie]

WANTED: Satellite Dishes – BIG and OLD

I'm looking for all those Big and Old used satellite Dishes. Preferably in the 10' and 12' size.

I will get rid of your big, old, ugly out of date eyesore for FREE!

The removal of a satellite dish by a waste removal company usually runs around $350.00 to $400.00 dollars.

Why Pay, when you can have it done for FREE!!

[/pie]
Good Luck! I know that you will find a better one and it will be for FREE!
Keep us informed on your progress and we will try to help you out the best that we can.

TOM
:D

P.S. When you go Dish Hunting take a camera with you take lots of photo's. You can put them on a thread here call Satellite Dish Hunting 2008. We will be waiting for some of your images to see!

The Big One

Hey there Thomas, I've been posting on FTA KU side of the forum for a few months now, yes new on C-Band group, thanks for the warm welcome. Been dabbing around on the KU side with good results, still learning the do's and don'ts from Iceberg and the rest of the guys.

One of my other questions I had was on the Mesh style dish, what sorta material works better for C-Band, I noticed like on the one I posted from Criagslist, it's a Mesh style like you indicated, and I've seen the ones in person that Satellite carries which is a solid steel dish. Seems like the solid big dish would get better feedback from the LNB or that doesn’t matter on the material?? Since I'm on a tight budget this year like everyone else, $50 bucks isn't a bad deal for big dish, but I did pass up a free 8ft Dish some months ago on Craigslist, waited to long to go pick it up.

I also have a Dishnet 1000 big oval dish that’s laying around, could I throw a C-Band LNB on that, and get something, or not big enough?? don't even try?

Thanks
marco

Hey Marco.

A lot of people have the big mesh dishes, but if you look at most of them, they are damaged. It's generally thought that a solid, spun aluminum big dish is the best way to go.

I got my first big dish last year when I saw one on a roof alongside a DirecTV dish. I went and sure enough they wanted to get rid of it.

As I was installing it on my roof, I saw a neighbor's solid Birdview dish. Abut a month and a half ago I visited the Birdview guy just to compare notes. Turned out he wanted to get rid of his dish too.

So I have two solid C-band big ugly dishes now - both I got for free.

Not that the solid dishes can't be damaged. They can be. But generally not as much as the mesh dishes.

Good luck.

I see

thanks, we have allot land owners up here in the Sacramento areas, I know I will find somebody just given one away, the problem is, getting it passed my wife, I'll wait until she is sleeping, and throw it on the roof, she will never see it :D

dish hunting

thanks, we have allot land owners up here in the Sacramento areas, I know I will find somebody just given one away, the problem is, getting it passed my wife, I'll wait until she is sleeping, and throw it on the roof, she will never see it :D
Hey Marco, don't forget to take a camera with you and take lots of pictures of the dishes you find in your dish hunting. They will be popping up all over the place to you because now you are paying attention to look for them. Solid, spun aluminum big dishes are the best way to go, especially if they might be a Birdview! If its a Mesh dish they are fine too. Some may show dents, thats ok. You want one where the holes in the mesh is no bigger then a #2 pencil. Most of the dishes you will find will be ok. When you find one submit the photos on the thread I talked about and we will give you our feedback!
Your wife should be happy to know that what you pay to the cable companies and what you will pay for programming is like Night and Day! The picture is a whole lot better too. We can talk installation later.

Goo Luck,

TOM

marco916: I regularly check with craigslist, Sac for a free BUD. I did pick up a 9' solid steel panel BUD with 2 Houston Trackers in Roseville. Now I'm on the lookout for a mesh dish to play with. You might also try posting on the Freecycle Network.

Try to not pay for Buds. Of the six I have, I paid for 2, rest were free. The only reason I paid for the 2 (10 foot unknown brand and a 7.5ft Sami) was that he was a family friend and was very desperate for cash, and it did include 3 posts, a NPM (non-penatrating mount) , and hundreds of feet of C-Band ribbon cable (close to 600 feet total), several manuals and Co-rotors LNB's.

Hi marco916 I still some what new to big dish myself lol and we have a Mesh one what seems to work well for us with some upgraded over the pass few years it runs well for us

Have run in to some trouble here and there but with the help of the gang here they have helped me out a lot in the pass :D
so if you run into any trouble there the ppl to ask ;) they know there stuff and there the best :)

I have a big old satellite dish in my backyard of the house we just bought in Wellsville, NY... if anyone wants to come and take it away it is free. I know nothing about it, excecpt it is ugly and I want it gone.

I have a big old satellite dish

I have a big old satellite dish in my backyard of the house we just bought in Wellsville, NY... if anyone wants to come and take it away it is free. I know nothing about it, excecpt it is ugly and I want it gone.
Hello Shoughrue,
Thats real kind of you to offer it for free so that someone could use it rather then scrapping it. We could help you to set it up for you so you can use but it sounds you have already made up your mind to get rid of it. Do you suppose you could take some photo's of it, Front and Back so we could see it? We will do our best to figure who lives closes to you to pick it up. Also do you still have the receiver that went with it? That would help out a lot.

Thanks again,
TOM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)