Big echostart antenna use

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ladyharley

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
I was wondering if it is possible to use the big (huge) Echostar antenna I have out back as a regular HDTV antenna just for local reception as an antenna to pick up my local channels, by connecting the cables to an HDTV? Would their be some simple modifications to make is usable just for reception?

Thanks

It's the old C band Echostar antenna.. I don't know how else to describe it.

When you said "Echostar", I assumed you meant about a 30-inch or smaller dish antenna or similar as is used by Dish Network or Bell in Canada now. "Huge" is not so useful without numbers. If it's C-band, that's different. Just guess the approximate diameter, if you can't measure it. 6-feet, 7-feet, 8-feet, ? Regardless, you would need some kind of C-band satellite receiver; you can't just connect the cable to your HDTV. With this, it's possible you may be able to get local channels. But...what is local? Approximately, where are you?

cband.jpg

Oh, no I'm sorry. I just measured from top edge to bottom just under 11 feet

yes that's what I want just local channels and use it like a regular outdoor antenna... I'm in New Mexico

Ha ha...OK you fooled me. It is a BIG antenna. Hope you enjoyed the eclipse last night. From your area you could see the sun totally eclipsed by the Moon. Anyway, check back here later today. The C-banders are still sleeping. Somebody with experience on C-band will guide you. I don't have first-hand experience on that band.

yes that's what I want just local channels and use it like a regular outdoor antenna... I'm in New Mexico
If you're within 50 miles (or further even) of a city with a local TV station, have you thought of simply installing an over-the-air conventional TV antenna? Using this big dish only for locals is like swatting a fly with a sledge hammer. You can receive lots of American networks (all the majors) with this big dish; I'm just not sure if New Mexico locals are specifically available.

What you have in the photo can receive some good network channels, including HD channels, from satellites. However they are not your local channels with local commercials. However I do see New Mexico commercials on Telemundo.

yes I get HDTV with an HDTV antenna as well as locals. I don't want to spend the $$ on buying an antenna if the C band dish would work....it does have in BIG LETTERS ECHOSTAR on the front :)

I was wondering if it is possible to use the big (huge) Echostar antenna I have out back as a regular HDTV antenna just for local reception as an antenna to pick up my local channels, by connecting the cables to an HDTV? Would their be some simple modifications to make is usable just for reception?

Thanks

Can you please provide us with your zip code? It will help us determine your proximity to your local channels. I don't know of a way to use a C-Band dish for locals but you might be able to use an outdoor VHF/UHF antenna. Thats what I use. BTW - I'm in Albuquerque.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.

88337. La Luz, near Alamogordo. I know I get local channels. I have a DVR with dish but have to pay for locals because I can't record the locals w/o subscribing. The outdoor antenna is so/so... I just thought since I had that SRD 4000 echostar C band dish just connecting via cable would get the antenna function.

You can certainly use a C-band reflector for terrestrial UHF TV reception. Just have to install it high enough to get line-of-sight (or close) to the transmitter you are trying to pick up, and replace the feed horn with a di-pole or quad cut to the frequency you want to pick up. The big reflector really helps for F/B ratio if you have a nearby transmitter on an adjacent channel in the opposite direction of where you are looking. It might be a bit cumbersome to install on an 80' tower though... and remember to calculate the moment force expected for maximum wind in your area for the square footage of the dish, and make sure the tower will withstand these forces.

If you can pick up the station near the ground, you won't need this type of elaborate antenna system. Build a grey-hoverman antenna they work quite well and install it as high as you can.

If you want to use it for C-band you can get all the major networks in HD most of the time and a bunch of other channels as well, but to set this up is fairly elaborate. This forum will give lots of good advice if you are interested in going that route!
(Sorry I missed the last page it didn't load before I responded..)

Last edited:
that's okay, do you know where online I can d/l the manual? I'm on the phone with dish and they don't have a clue, of course.

You have an unrecognized treasure in your yard and you are going to hang laundry on it. Use that puppy for its original intended purpose and you will not feel the need to receive local channels. Chances are that your dish and lnb are in working order and you only need to plug that cable into and FTA receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)