Big International News But No BBC-World Or CNN-International On DISH

leegart

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 22, 2004
I went to my sister's house in Northern New Hampshire this weekend and they have Time/Warner Cable. TWC carries CNN-International. Therefore with all the news breaking in Iran, there was hourly, in-depth coverage from a news operation that understands international events. It was great to be able to keep up with events in such detail.

Then I came home and had to go back to the limited international news available on DISH.

With all the potential benefits of satellite TV, why do we still not have BBC-World or CNN-International?:what

Compelling Content? I think that's how Charlie puts it.

I would call much more informed, detailed news coverage "compelling content." This is very much lacking in many of the domestic news services. They are more interested in the escapades of the former Miss California than in important news.:mad:

Anything important on Iran from CNN-International was covered on CNN and CNN-HD, just like during the Mumbai attack some months back.

Unlike that incident, there is very little actual information on Iran, because they shut down most of the sources, and events are moving relatively slowly.

In terms of Dish Network BBC-World is a different set of circumstances that CNN-International, and this thread duplicates 2058320 previous ones on the subject....

PS BBC World News:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsa/n5ctrl/summaries/world/bb/video/world_bb.asx

CNN International:

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream1

Anything important on Iran from CNN-International was covered on CNN and CNN-HD, just like during the Mumbai attack some months back.

Unlike that incident, there is very little actual information on Iran, because they shut down most of the sources, and events are moving relatively slowly.

In terms of Dish Network BBC-World is a different set of circumstances that CNN-International, and this thread duplicates 2058320 previous ones on the subject....

PS BBC World News:

BBC

CNN International:

CNN.com Live

Are you sure you went back and counted them all correctly, Ken? :rolleyes: I think you missed one.....:p

PS BBC World News:

BBC

CNN International:

CNN.com Live

Here is the link to live BBC World programming streaming on the web:

BBC News-great britain

I have been using this for a few weeks now. It even works on my cellphone. They now have an iPhone app that lets you watch live streaming content.

When Dish had CNNfinancial a few years ago, from midnight until about 6am CNNinternational would air all the time... when CNNf died many were hoping CNNi would take its place in the lineup but instead it was removed and nothing put in its place...

Here is the link to live BBC World programming streaming on the web:

BBC News-great britain

I have been using this for a few weeks now. It even works on my cellphone. They now have an iPhone app that lets you watch live streaming content.

This is great news! Too bad the app is not available in the US though. I bet I can guess why (it streams a TV signal over 3G)

Edit: that was quick, the stream appears to be offline.

Last edited:
BBC World News on Dish Network each weekday from 2AM-5AM Pacific.

It's all about the $$. Let's face it; the vast majority of Dish subscribers (the US population, as well) just don't care about getting BBC World News or any other foreign service. All they care about is CNN (US) and Fox News. That's the sad truth.

Sorry, but Al Jazeera English would be a better choice for coverage of this Iran election, not BBC World News, or CNN International. It's also very strange that Dish Network uplinked BBC Arabic, but not Al Jazeera English.

Maybe if you want to see more BBC News on BBC America then write to the folks at Discovery Channel who actually control BBC America and whats shown on it.

"Anything important on Iran from CNN-International was covered on CNN and CNN-HD, just like during the Mumbai attack some months back."

CNN International provides far superior coverage of international events vs. their domestic service.

Last edited:
Maybe if you want to see more BBC News on BBC America then write to the folks at Discovery Channel who actually control BBC America and whats shown on it.

The beauty of BBC-World is that they have news on the hour virtually every hour. What is on BBC-America is too infrequent.

"this thread duplicates 2058320 previous ones on the subject"

Thus backing up the view that there have not yet been enough to convince DISH.

They could offer an international news package with CNN-I, BBC-W, CBC, Deutsche Welle, and Radio France International's English TV news service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts