SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 21, 2004
California
I am copying this from the E* Forum:

DNiermeyer said:
Scott, it just came across the wire!

ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 29, 2005--EchoStar Communications Corporation (Nasdaq:DISH - News) announced that its DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service will expand its high-definition television (HDTV) package by adding 10 original VOOM HD networks, expected to be available May 1, 2005. With the addition of these originals to its current slate of HD programming, DISH Network further establishes itself as the leader in high-definition TV.

The 10 VOOM HD networks will include RUSH HD, Gallery HD, Rave HD, Ultra HD, Equator HD, Monsters HD, Animania HD, Majestic HD, HD News and Guy TV HD. These networks will give viewers a high-def experience in such entertainment categories as science fiction, fashion, travel, music concerts and more.

"The addition of these original channels makes the DISH Network high definition package the best in the pay-TV industry," said Eric Sahl, vice president of programming for EchoStar. "With programming offering the finest clarity and resolution, customers enjoy a better TV watching experience."

Now if this all goes through E* will have 10 new HD channels starting this Sunday (props to E* on this). LonghornXP made the comment in another thread that D* was trying to talk to Voom and I am hoping that is true and D* can get a similar Voom Pack asap. It seems to be pretty clear that we will not get any new HD until the new sats are ready and mpeg 4 boxes are sent out so it may be a few months. I'm just excited to be hearing about Voom being distributed through other providers.

Will D* soon make an announcement about a Voom deal? All we really keep hearing is the Local Channels plan but the news around more national HD stuff has been super quiet of late other than the few channels we keep hearing about getting at some point in time TNT, ESPN2, Starz, Inhd1&2.

I caught that this morning also (& just think....E* doesn't have Rainbow 1 yet & they can do this). Also commend E* for this & I'm sure the VOOM'ers are getting excited.
Since my city is #52 on the list for the MPEG4 upgrade & all D* is talking is local HD channels.......well, D* needs to do something as well.....come on D*

Barney

If memory serves me correctly the channels have to be offered, however, the pricing does not need to be fair. This is not really an "addition" anyway. I had Voom and hated the exclusives, perhaps that was becuase I had to watch them live and not on TiVo. Either way, I think our and D*'s best interests will be served if they move to the mainstream first like StarzHD and TMCHD, etc.

With D launching 3 birds in 3 months year end is looking very good for D* and not so good for E* ... in the big picture.

slacker9876 said:
If memory serves me correctly the channels have to be offered, however, the pricing does not need to be fair. This is not really an "addition" anyway. I had Voom and hated the exclusives, perhaps that was becuase I had to watch them live and not on TiVo. Either way, I think our and D*'s best interests will be served if they move to the mainstream first like StarzHD and TMCHD, etc.

With D launching 3 birds in 3 months year end is looking very good for D* and not so good for E* ... in the big picture.

Thanks for the support slacker.......I'll get off the couch now...how much do I owe you for today Sir? ;)

Here is a clip posted on the Voom forum from HD News:
Shawn95GT said:
Here is the clip for the Voom impared:

http://www.shawnz.com/voom/VoomOnDish.wmv

This is what I was hoping to hear also from the Voom forum:
Seanb61 said:
Rainbow Media Holdings to Launch and Operate
VOOM 21 HD Originals
Apr 29 at 08:48
JERICHO, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 29, 2005--
Rainbow Media Holdings LLC:

-- Greg Moyer and Nora Ryan Named Co-General Managers of VOOM 21
HD Originals

-- VOOM HD originals will appear on DISH Network

Rainbow Media Holdings LLC today announced that it will operate
and launch the VOOM 21 HD Originals, an innovative suite of 21
high-definition channels, for distribution to cable operators and
satellite TV providers.
Rainbow also announced today that it has
concluded its first major carriage agreement for the channels with
EchoStar Communications Corporation, which will carry ten of the HD
channels on its DISH Network, expanding to carry all 21 channels by

The key part I like about that is it is available for distribution to all Cable and Satellite Providers. E* will also have all 21 Voom channels by 2006 which is great news.

IMHO I'd rather see D* add national HD channels like Starz-HD/Cinemax-HD/TNT-HD and the RSN's that have HD then V* content.

rad I would love to have those channels too, lol. My only problem with Starz & Cinemax is you have to pay even more for them. I wish there was a way to some how have all the premium HD movie channels added to the HD pack without having to fully subscribe to all the different movie packages.

I think D* needs to move on the same direction and increase the HD Pack as well. Here's the problem with StarzHD --- not enough movies are HD. Most movies on StarzHD are 1080i upconverts. This includes all their saturday premiere movies. So ONLY MonstersHD beats out StarzHD on whats HD. CinemaxHD is an excellent channel. However, most of CinemaxHD ends up on HBOHD a month after it premiered on CinemaxHD. The same goes for HBOHD. TMCHD is a replica of ShowtimeHD. Nothing premieres on TMCHD without going through ShowtimeHD first. So given this, I will welcome an additional 10 HD channels to the HD pack without increasing the HD Pack (like E* seems to be doing).

Please see Dan Collins response to this over on dbsforums. :)

I'd post a link but i can't. It's the post titled "voom is dead? wrong !!!" in the Voom forum

My guess is D* will be carrying some V* content as well.

CWS_kahuna said:
I checked out Dans post.

When does spaceway 2 launch again? (~ June ?)

Just a reminder......these new satellites are Ka-band, right? If so, we have to wait till its our turn to have new DISH, LNB's, and STB's.........

slacker, I need to get on the couch again..... :no

Barneypoo69 said:
Just a reminder......these new satellites are Ka-band, right? If so, we have to wait till its our turn to have new DISH, LNB's, and STB's.........

slacker, I need to get on the couch again..... :no

Glad I am in the first round. :)

I worked all night last night and being a Directv customer and a VOOM customer...Im not really happy about this. Im hoping that Directv gets the same sort of package as Dish. MonstersHD and RaveHD are really good ch's.....Equator HD is also. Bottom line here is that this is a homerun for Dish only because Directv's HD pack is weak to say the least. Its time to stop talking about local HD and add some content HD. Directv is the top player in the game and if they dont act within the next 6 mths....Im gone. To be fair I want to see what Directv is going to do with the MPEG4 conversion but I have to give my money to the provider who provides me with the most of what I want.....and since HD is what makes me happy.....lets go D....get it together....please!!!

I have switched between all three DBS's over the past 6 months and I have to say I would switch back to E* if I could. Not because I think they are better than D* ( D* is far superior) but because they now have these 10 Voom Originals. I love Rush, Rave, and Equator. I would take those 3 channels over StarzHD, TMCHD, or CMaxHD in a hot second. Anyone who thinks the latter are more mainstream is crazy. The only reason Rave, Rush, and Equator aren't mainstream is because only 26,000 people got to see them. If this deal works out those channels will be big hits and the programming on them will double in no time. D* better get their act together or they are going to lose a lot of customers to E*. I want original programming filmed and edited in HD not upconverted movies that I'll be able to buy on HDDVD or BlueRay in 6 months time. :shocked

Too bad E got the Voom originals, I guess my experience with Voom ends on saturday, I will never subscribe to Dish Network again, their CSRs are terrible, they still owe me $29 and have never sent the box to return their piece of junk HD 811 receiver, good luck with E folks.

fsds,

Other providers will have the opportunity to pick up the Voom 21 package so hopefully we will be hearing some more Voom news in the next month or two.

Just like "toppings do not good pizza make". "HD does not quality TV make". These channels aren't must haves and can easily be waited for. I don't like E* very much. HD News is great though, but the only VOOM original that makes it worthwhile.

This is a sweet deal for VoOm as they can still get money for their programming and not even have to provide the satellite, do customer support, and lay out all of the money that they would with their own satellite service. They can use their money on making their content better and launching more channels. They can still be a first at launching so many HD channels and beat the rest of the channels that has not launched their service in HD and do very well with this.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)