Big News for Voom on E*, can D* get a similar deal

Status
Please reply by conversation.
drbill28 said:
Just like "toppings do not good pizza make". "HD does not quality TV make". These channels aren't must haves and can easily be waited for. I don't like E* very much. HD News is great though, but the only VOOM original that makes it worthwhile.

I did not have Voom but my favorite was easily RUSH HD.

Dang, Directv should should be all over this. Big advantage for dish if they are the only ones that get the Voom originals. Those are some awesome channels. It doesn't make it any easier for me to pick a new provider, maybe I will wait a while longer...

I really wish people would stop criticizing VoomHD originals without actually watching them for any extended period of time. If you had Voom for over 2 months and still didn't find anything worthwhile in their original HD channels then by all means rip away. :cool:

Wiggin78 said:
I really wish people would stop criticizing VoomHD originals without actually watching them for any extended period of time. If you had Voom for over 2 months and still didn't find anything worthwhile in their original HD channels then by all means rip away. :cool:

I agree. I never had Voom but a great friend of mine does & I liked what I saw. MonstersHD was cool, Rave HD was awesome, Rush HD my favorite. I liked most of what I saw, of course not every program on every channel will appeal to everyone.

So, when Dish Network moves Rainbow 1 to 110 then is VoOm going to transmit the programming directly to the satellite in the format Dish needs in order to recieve the service (and transmit the programming to the other satellites as well in the formats that they need)? Or are they going to have to lease some space from another satellite (perhaps thats why they did not call off the building of the additional satellites to use them to distribute their programming)?

Let's face it. I have to believe that if it was not for the NFL Sunday Ticket, most of us would be switching over to E*. No up front costs for the equipment including HD receiver and a couple of DVR's if I am to believe the offers that I have seen. But alas, I am with D for the long haul (I think I was just about the first one in Columbus, Ohio with it so many years ago, because I must watch my beloved Philadelphia Eagles week in and week out. So I can scream and yell, but I can't go anywhere else. :mad: Just give us our TNT and ESPN2 !!

CWS_kahuna said:
I agree. I never had Voom but a great friend of mine does & I liked what I saw. MonstersHD was cool, Rave HD was awesome, Rush HD my favorite. I liked most of what I saw, of course not every program on every channel will appeal to everyone.
Really good point. I had VOOM for about a year and never really watched some of the exclusives that they offered. Not every ch will appeal to everyone because people have different tastes. I thought MonstersHD was a great ch that could stand on its own on alot of carriers. Rave was also a shining star in my eyes...nothing like loud music and a beautiful picture to go with it.

FlyingJ said:
Let's face it. I have to believe that if it was not for the NFL Sunday Ticket, most of us would be switching over to E*. No up front costs for the equipment including HD receiver and a couple of DVR's if I am to believe the offers that I have seen. But alas, I am with D for the long haul (I think I was just about the first one in Columbus, Ohio with it so many years ago, because I must watch my beloved Philadelphia Eagles week in and week out. So I can scream and yell, but I can't go anywhere else. :mad: Just give us our TNT and ESPN2 !!

While Dish Network has the Superstations, and three of my locals available, DNS for ABC and CBS, HD feeds for both, and TiVo are some of the main reasons I won't switch to Dish Network. Besides, with Dan Collins qoute that "There is a fairly significant package announcement coming. I actually don't know if these Rainbow channels will be included or not, but from what I hear, it won't matter." is enough to make me be glad with my decision. :~)

~Alan

My brother in law got the service. I'm not a big movie fan. I'm the kind of person not interested in getting Showtime. Not because how much it costs but because I'm not interested. I've only been to a movie theater 3 times since 1996. I'm a sports person, and they don't have anything over anyone else. You actually get downsized in that dept. WorldsportTV has too much Soccer. Equator had something worth watching usually. But HDNews, that was great. But they took way too long to get many SD channels that I wouldn't switch to anything that didn't have them.

If Voom came around now and had more of the popular SD channels. They would be around years to come and I probabl-i would've switched to them myself.

I did have Voom and many of their channels had very good stuff but without a DVR they never got watched. Some of their good shows only played in the afternoon and never at night so they never got watched. I think the programming will only get better and its a natural addition for both D* and E*.

Now my contacts don't have anything more to add on D* adding the Voom channels in fact they were trying to change the subject at every corner which means to me that they can't let something slip so they avoid it all together. That means in the past that something is coming.

I just got off the phone with one of my contacts and I type as I heard it over on Tivocommunity so I'll post it here for you all.

I'm talking to another one of my contacts as I'm typing and was told pretty much what Dan was told that a very very big announement with tons of HD channels will be made in June. I wasn't told after Spaceway 2 launches just that it would occur in June. Here is what I was told were being talked about and please note I'm not saying these are coming just they are being talked about as far as working deals.

Firstly all 21 Voom channels are getting talked about but even more after the E* release.

Other channels that are being talked about are as follows.
HBO HD West
Cinemax HD East and West
Showtime HD West
TMC HD East
Starz HD East and West
InHD 1 & 2 (InDemand is talking with D* and ignore the only on cable logo because it means nothing in the future but is true today because its marketing)

TNT HD
ESPN 2 HD
Scripps HD Networks

Also I'm hearing that D* might be launching their own set of HDTV channels using programming from many of News Corp networks and will also offer the package to any cable and satellite provider who wants them as well.

Interesting info LONGHORN....I am a current VOOMER but have yet to jump on the E* bandwagon UNTIL they drop that initial $250 upfront fee for a HD DVR....which by the way, I heard that they WILL/MIGHT drop as an incentive after the 1st of May as a so-called 'special offer to former VOOMERS' to match Directv's special VOOM offer..when I see it I will believe it...anyway, I would jump to Directv in a New York City SECOND if they offered what you hinted at...the question still remains....will Directv EVER offer some kind of RESPECTABLE lease deal on their HD DVR? Hell...even COMCAST and ADELPHIA is offering a HD DVR with no upfront cost. Because IF all dbs/cable companies had more or less the same AMOUNT of HD channels...and IF all offered a decent HD DVR lease...then Directv has one advantage over everyone...the NFL package...THATS Directv's trump card....and always be their trump card...as long as they are all dealing the stuff....at least thats my 2 cents...

LonghornXP said:
InHD 1 & 2 (InDemand is talking with D* and ignore the only on cable logo because it means nothing in the future but is true today because its marketing)

COMPETITIVE WATCH: FCC Axes VOOM Complaint - The Media Bureau at the Federal Communications Commission approved the withdrawal of a program access complaint filed by Rainbow DBS against cable pay-per-view/video-on-demand provider In-Demand. Rainbow controls VOOM, and alleged that In-Demand violated federal rules when the programmer refused to negotiate with the satellite TV service for carriage of its INHD1 and INHD2 high def channels. VOOM is set for shut down at the end of the week.

If that is so, then I guess that DirecTV has used a lot more leverage then VOOM did!!

NOTE: The above was copied from SkyReport

~Alan

Alan....I posted that in the VOOM forum about 2 days ago...funny...no one said a peep....no, I take that back..someone said it was "unimportant now..."

salsadancer7 said:
Alan....I posted that in the VOOM forum about 2 days ago...funny...no one said a peep....no, I take that back..someone said it was "unimportant now..."

Well, unfortunately for VOOM, it is "unimportant now...", though I don't know how important or "unimportant..." it is for DirecTV and Dish.

Although, if what LonghornXP says is true, I guess it really is "unimportant now..." I guess we'll see...

~Alan

I don't have time to read all the posts around here, so in a nutshell:
I have the Dish HD Pack, will I automatically get the new channels and a new bill for $14.95 or do I have to call and request the 10 new channels?

Thanks.

OOPS! after hitting send, I noticed I was in the D* forum, sorry. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)