Big Shake-up to Happen on 99w and 101w C-band

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm just a little north of Wilkes barre.. I use a directv provided gs2200 with power and get all of the above lol. Antenna is on the roof on an extended mast.. about 34' off ground level. My ladder is a 32 and just hits my gutter.. and I know the guy that helped me do the wiring has a 28 and his wouldn't reach to safely work on the dish or aim the antenna... so I'm pretty high up
Mine's ground mounted, attached to the side of the house at the roof peak then goes up about eight feet above peak on a rotor, so probably only 24'. I can definitely go higher if I guy the mast but not looking forward to getting on the roof again. Me and heights don't agree anymore.:confused: I would like to have it down by my dishes as I might be able to get Harrisburg/Lancaster channels from there but that's closer to the hill blocking Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and also about 130' run from house plus the mast height.

Mine's ground mounted, attached to the side of the house at the roof peak then goes up about eight feet above peak on a rotor, so probably only 24'. I can definitely go higher if I guy the mast but not looking forward to getting on the roof again. Me and heights don't agree anymore.:confused: I would like to have it down by my dishes as I might be able to get Harrisburg/Lancaster channels from there but that's closer to the hill blocking Wilkes-Barre/Scranton and also about 130' run from house plus the mast height.
Yeah that would need to be amped just for the dB drop.. good luck with that lol.. but you can only work around the dtv database for Ota anyway.. I'm happy with all the w.b locals I get 44.3 and all too..

Back on topic sort of....I don't see CBS decades coming to any market near me. CW is on one sub and ME TV will be on the other CBS affiliate as a sub.

interesting. The Minneapolis CBS is O&O (WCCO) and has no subchannels right now. Actually only 2 of the 16 CBS O&O's have subchannels. 14 markets and the 2 satellite stations for WCCO (KCCO and KCCW)

They will soon. Equipment is being installed as we speak. Now for the complainers about the 4.1 HD signal when it's bandwidth is further reduced. WCCO looks great with their decent bit rate 1080i picture.

They will soon. Equipment is being installed as we speak. Now for the complainers about the 4.1 HD signal when it's bandwidth is further reduced. WCCO looks great with their decent bit rate 1080i picture.
but they say the new station wont launch until 2nd quarter next year

They might add a sub for it - The ION station from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton market has 6 channels: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WQPX-TV
I've seen that in other cities but not in our two local markets. One low power station has I think five channels all SD. PBS has the main HD channel and two SD subs here. All the others have the main HD channel and one SD sub. I do believe Lexington Ky and Indianapolis Indiana have the Ion setup you mentioned. As big a market as Cincinnati is we never got ION though.

I've seen that in other cities but not in our two local markets. One low power station has I think five channels all SD. PBS has the main HD channel and two SD subs here. All the others have the main HD channel and one SD sub. I do believe Lexington Ky and Indianapolis Indiana have the Ion setup you mentioned. As big a market as Cincinnati is we never got ION though.
Definitely is strange they don't have Ion for that large an area. Good luck though - hopefully if the Decades channel becomes popular when it starts they will find a way to pick it up.

but they say the new station wont launch until 2nd quarter next year
The engineer I know there said it's a bit involved to integrate it with the CBS automation system designed for the O&O's for local spot insertion. The gear was arriving and they were getting it in the racks at this point.

It is supply and demand pricing. The bandwidth is limited (....)

Looking at the whole satellite arc every 2 months with my spectrum analyzer, it seems North America has far more supply than demand so I don't see why satellite bandwidth has to be expensive if the operators are trying to maximize utilization on their satellites.

A datapoint to support my feelings about supply and demand: SES reports utilitization rates to investors and in its most-recent report to investors, they had a North American market transponder (in 36-MHz transponder equivalents) utilization rate of 74.0% in June 2013 and 70.4% in June 2014.

The apparent glut in supply also seems apparent to me when I look at FCC filings and when sat operators lose their rights to an orbital slot, there isn't a rush for someone else to file an application to use it, or an application is filed but the coverage will be latin america and/or south America rather than bringing all of those transponders back into usage in the North American market. If there was a need for more bandwidth in North America, I would expect satellite operators rushing to file for the available slots to bring back North American beamed transponders or operators would put up replacement sats to keep capacity instead of losing their right to use the slot.

Reactions: Jim S.
Looking at the whole satellite arc every 2 months with my spectrum analyzer, it seems North America has far more supply than demand
<Snip>
utilization rate of 74.0% in June 2013 and 70.4% in June 2014.
<Snip>
If there was a need for more bandwidth in North America, I would expect satellite operators rushing to file for the available slots to bring back North American beamed transponders or operators would put up replacement sats to keep capacity instead of losing their right to use the slot.

At what load are the satellites to be operated to obtain maximum life expectancy and ROI?

Correct, supply and demand. I was primarily referring to past discussions of G19 KU link budgets. The G19 satellite and satellites serving the emerging Central and South America markets are in high demand and continue to demand a premium. Bandwidth on less popular satellites are being sold at or below historical link budgets.

There has been a surplus in many slots for years. I think that we are observing that a balance is being reached. The user profile is shifting with technology providing efficiency/reduction of the bandwidth requirements.

MeTV here is available in two places OTA, but will be missed on FTA. The thing this DOES force me to do, and I'm taking the "high" road is ordering
an OTA tuner/PVR to integrate into the home system and then continue to record METV and other things via a second system, the challenge being to
get it all onto one relatively simple system available in (3) places ideally, (2) acceptably. I'll take the challenge, enjoy the continued FTA services, and adjust.

The biggest issue I'll have switching to MeTv OTA when my local affiliate turns it on in December as a sub channel, is that Dish won't have guide data for it, which makes it messy to setup timers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts