Big Ten Network HD on Dish Network?

Maybe Illinois doesn't compare to the fan base of Penn St.
I beg to differ on that one. While Penn St. definitely has a more successful and popular football program, Illinois does still have a very loyal following across the country, especially when it comes to basketball. I think you'd be hard pressed to find any Big 10 school that doesn't have a huge, loyal fanbase, with the possible exception of Northwestern.

The $1.10 is what they want out of the Big Ten market. Outside of that market they are asking for less.

Not sure how this could be billed on a national basis by the satellites, but found this little nugget in today's NY Times with regard to cable:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/18/sports/18bigten.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&ref=sports

Silverman said the network had balanced the interest in Big Ten sports inside and outside its region by seeking a monthly subscriber fee of $1.10 to be carried as an expanded basic channel to 18.5 million cable subscribers in the conference’s states, but 10 cents a subscriber everywhere else.

Silverman said the network had balanced the interest in Big Ten sports inside and outside its region by seeking a monthly subscriber fee of $1.10 to be carried as an expanded basic channel to 18.5 million cable subscribers in the conference’s states, but 10 cents a subscriber everywhere else.

Good find. If that's the case then the ball is in E*'s court.

Well, we know how this is going to turn out. Do you honestly think Charlie is going to pay $1.10 so that everyone in Big 10 country will be able to receive this channel?

It could get interesting once the games start, D* has it, AT&T has it, and many cable companies within the B10 region have it.

I'm expecting D* to heavily promote this advantage as football season approaches.

We're not talking about a channel that will get ratings of around 5% of the market in and around places like Columbus, Madison, Ann Arbor, etc, we're talking 30%, 40%, & up ratings for games.

I remember seeing a story in a Madison paper where the Badgers were playing a big road game and the TV rating hit over 50% of all households watching TV that day. The game outdrew all other channels combined!

didn't Charlie say like 4-7 more national HD channels before years end in last chat? . I would think B10N would be a good add. And HD B10N would be outstanding:up

It could get interesting once the games start, D* has it, AT&T has it, and many cable companies within the B10 region have it.

I'm expecting D* to heavily promote this advantage as football season approaches.

We're not talking about a channel that will get ratings of around 5% of the market in and around places like Columbus, Madison, Ann Arbor, etc, we're talking 30%, 40%, & up ratings for games.

I remember seeing a story in a Madison paper where the Badgers were playing a big road game and the TV rating hit over 50% of all households watching TV that day. The game outdrew all other channels combined!

AFAIK, BTN has only 3 carriers: D*, AT&T, and Buckeye Cable. You would think an MSO like Mediacom, who has a very large presence in MN, IA, WI, and IL would've been onboard months ago to hype the launch. At $1.10 per subscriber and demanding expanded basic placement (analog), I highly doubt that Mediacom or anyother MSO for that matter, will be on board anytime soon.

So if Dish doesn't pick this up, how much is the early termination fee for leasing a 622?

AFAIK, BTN has only 3 carriers: D*, AT&T, and Buckeye Cable. You would think an MSO like Mediacom, who has a very large presence in MN, IA, WI, and IL would've been onboard months ago to hype the launch. At $1.10 per subscriber and demanding expanded basic placement (analog), I highly doubt that Mediacom or anyother MSO for that matter, will be on board anytime soon.

This is true. However Buckeye just signed and according to the B10N, they are currently in negotiations with 40'ish other cable companies. If almost none of them sign, then the B10N will have a PR problem. If 20 some of them sign, then each carrier that doesn't sign will have a PR problem.

AT&T has signed, but I don't know what their sub numbers are across the region.

If Comcast wins the right to carry it only in their optional Sports Tier, then the B10N revenue estimates are going to be way off.

At this point D* is the huge wildcard. If they had not signed, then the B10N has little negotiating room. But with D* in the fold, then almost every person in the B10 region, and the USA, has an option to get it. So every cable company out there will have to decide if they are going to run the risk of losing subs to D*, and what may scare them more - it could be HD subs.

Here's another way to look at the cost.

Let's assume that the state of New York would be considered non-B10.

$1.10/month for 25% of the US Population = $0.275/month contribution to total
$0.10/month for 75% of the US Population = $0.075/month " "

Average cost per national subscriber is $0.35/month.

I suspect this is close to what D* agreed to pay, but wouldn't be surprised if they got a little discount as first major player in.

It was announced this week that OSU's first two games will be on B10N.

Reflecting back on this, this is a brilliant move by B10N (or BTN, whatever). Even if these early games are mismatches, they know the ruckus it will create across the entire state of Ohio. Not just 1 game, but the first two games of the season. How many Buckeye fans are going to be satisfied to wait until the 3rd game to see their team? None!

And they have the 1st Michigan game and the 1st Penn State game.

By the 2nd week of the season, they will have carried at least 1 game from 10 of the 11 schools, Wisconsin being the only exception and they are on in week 3. They are carrying 7 games in Week 2!

So they are hitting hard and often early in the season.

Here was the reply sent to me in an email inquiring about the progress of negotiating with Big Ten Network (nothing surprising, of course):

"Thank you for your recent e-mail regarding Big Ten network. Although we have been in discussions to add this to our lineup there has not been a definite agreement. Because this channel does not launch until late this summer we do not have any further details. More specific information should be available closer to the launch date. Thanks"

Of course, I am sure this email is similar to what people inquiring about MLB extra innings likely received.

This was mine:
"Thank you for your e-mail. Specific information regarding your inquiry on Big 10 Network is not currently available. We would like to add that channel, to make viewers like you happy, but we do not know if or when this will happen. We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration.

We thank you for your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to DISH Network -- Home or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Jung W P.

DISH Network eCare

Pine Brook"

Big 10 Network on Dish?

Here is my reply. I live in Ohio so this is a hot topic among OSU fans locally. Those in Columbus will go nuts (pun intended) if the first two games are not available.

Thank you for your e-mail. Specific information regarding your request for Big Ten Network is not currently available. We would like to add that channel, to make viewers like you happy, but we do not know if or when this will happen. We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration.
We thank you for your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.
Sincerely,
xyz
DISH Network eCare
Pine Brook
** Please include all previous correspondence when replying. **

Last edited:
Here is my reply. I live in Ohio so this is a hot topic among OSU fans locally. Those in Columbus will go nuts (pun intended) if the first two games are not available.

Thank you for your e-mail. Specific information regarding your request for Big Ten Network is not currently available. We would like to add that channel, to make viewers like you happy, but we do not know if or when this will happen. We will gladly forward your request to our Programming Department for further consideration.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.
Sincerely,

DISH Network eCare
Pine Brook
** Please include all previous correspondence when replying. **

When posting email of info from CSR's, you might want to leave out the Dish employee name. I know I wouldn't want my name posted in a public forum without my permission.

Send an email

For people who want this channel I think it's time to take a couple of minutes and send a polite request, urging Dish Network to add the Big Ten Network. If you don't do something now, when September rolls around and E* still hasn't added the channel, don't come on here complaining. Action needs to be taken now to let E* know that we are serious about our Big Ten Sports.

I've been an E* customer for over 9 years, but I will make the switch if they can't figure out some means to deliver this channel to my receiver. The Big Ten Network will be the ONLY place to see those games which don't make it to ABC, ESPN.

Emails and calls can make a difference. I just wrote a note at this link:

DISH Network -- Contact Us

If there are other addresses or phone numbers that others know of that may be beneficial, post them so everyone that wants to can easily voice their opinion.

Do it now! Don't wait!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts