Big Ten Network

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Al a carte is SMART...for the consumer!

I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THERE IS NO DEMAND FOR THIS STATION...I know that because the BTN is themselves admitting it.
Sorry, but this is one channel every normal person wants!;) To be honest, this is just another perfect reason why all channels should be a la carte...or at least there should be "channel packages" available (as with StarChoice) that are grouped in some sort of a logical fashion, with many more flexible programming options. Personally, I love the sports channels...but non-sports loving folks should not have to pay $$$ for the ESPNs and their regional sports channels.

I subscribe to AT250 just because there are three (3) "must have" channels in the top-tier. Offhand, we only watch about 10-15 of the non-HD channels in total. Worthless channels that need to be dumped from my AT250 lineup (we should be provided with a credit for each one dropped):

- All Dish music, CD, and Sirius channels
- Altitude Sports
- Angel One
- Alma Vision
- BBC America
- BET
- Bravo
- C-Span
- CNN
- CCTV-9
- Classic Arts
- CNBC (all)
- Colours TV
- Comedy Central
- DayStar
- Discovery (all non-HD channels)
- DIY
- Documentary
- Encore channels
- ESPN News
- Eternal Word
- FEC/PAEC
- Food Network
- Fox Soccer
- Free Speech TV
- FX
- Galavision
- Game Show Network
- GOL TV
- Good Samaritan
- Hallmark channel

I think you get the idea. Anyway, just take away the most useless channels (FX, SpikeTV, and Sci-Fi) and give me the Big Ten Network!

I could care less about Big10 sports. To all of you who keep complaining about not getting, YET, another sports channel....go to Direct TV already and quit whining...the decision is yours. As for me, I find more than enough sports programming to watch in HD, and movies, and variety shows and news and......

Goody, Goody for you!

From reading the posts in this thread the BTN topic is seemingly more controversial than all the previous YES/MBL IE debates combined with all the pros vs. cons/opinions etc. whether or not E* should carry the channel or not. Long story short, if sports are your thing D* is the only way to go.

OR......Dish Network will listen to it's customers and we won't have to change.
I've said I can not drop E* because of my contract, BUT I will drop down to the bare minumum channels with only one receiver, and then switch to D* or Cableone (IF Cableone picks it up.

OR......Dish Network will listen to it's customers and we won't have to change.
I've said I can not drop E* because of my contract, BUT I will drop down to the bare minumum channels with only one receiver, and then switch to D* or Cableone (IF Cableone picks it up.

I know what you mean by the "contract" thing jldhawk I was lucky enough not to be under one with E* a few years back when I switched over.

I have yet to get an answer on the question I asked.
I lease all of my recievers (3) 1 being a VIP211, so what would my monthly cost be if I dropped ALL programming (And extra receivers) except for the bare minumum. Someone said I'd have to keep leasing the vip211, but Couldn't I just buy that receiver?

$19.95 a month?

There is a new press release on the Big Ten Networks web site, one paragragh reads as follows:

Distribution: The Big Ten Network has signed national agreements with DIRECTV and AT&T U-VERSE in addition to more than 75 agreements with smaller cable providers. Each of these contracts call for the network to be carried on basic packages ensuring broad distribution. The network is currently in negotiations with all other cable and satellite companies to provide Big Ten programming on basic tiers within the Big Ten's eight-state footprint; outside the footprint, the network is open to distribution on digital tiers. Select content will be distributed through alternative media platforms including the Internet, iPods, cell phones and other emerging technologies

Big Ten Network

The network is currently in negotiations with all other cable and satellite companies to provide Big Ten programming on basic tiers within the Big Ten's eight-state footprint
This may sound like a stupid question...I live in St. Louis, MO, are we in the eight state footprint?
I know that Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Indiana are the eight states that make up the footprint but how close are they drawing the line?

From the sounds of things, the acronym for St. Louis may be changing from StL to SOL.

Are you nuts?
You are lucky to not be in the BigTen footprint. This way you get charged 10 cents not $1.10.
People, Charlie and Brian Roberts ARE NOT going to listen to the

5% who are diehards, and you will get games anyways because the network will fold and the games will be back on syndicated OTA.

I can't believe how gullible you people are.

I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THERE IS NO DEMAND FOR THIS STATION.
I know that because the BTN is themselves admitting it.

DIEHARD=PREMIUM CHANNEL

Nothing that diehards want should be considered when deciding what should be a basic channel and what shouldn't. $1.10/month is way to much for a channel that is really only demanded by DIEHARDS. If DIEHARDS want this channel so much than they will have absolutely no problem with paying for it as premium station.

If the BigTen thinks diehard bigten fans are the norm, then they should put their money where their mouths are and instead of letting cable/dbs companies take the advertising, BTN should make their money FROM the advertising and give the station away for free or a lot cheaper. If they are RIGHT and there is intense demand, then they will make FAR MORE than by charging $1.10 for just the midwest states. This is what capitalism is about. Not by forcing a BigTen tax on everybody who wants cable/dbs in the midwest. The fact that BTN is demanding this be on expanded basic while giving cable/dbs companies all the ad revenue is their adminission that people wouldn't pay for if given the choice and that advertising companies won't pay for advertising at significant rates. Yes, nobody watches every station but has to pay for them all, but none of them will have as little original programming and cost $1.10 while being demanded by as few people.

You don't have a clue what your talking about, the demand is there or we wouldn't be on the 25th page of this thread.
Get real !!!!!!!!
Many people have switch to Direct all ready I'm holding out till kickoff but I will switch too, been with Dish for 8 years but this is were I draw the line,
some will say don't let the door hit you on the way out, and that's ok but don't be acting like nobody cares.

I know at least 10 customers here in Davenport that have already switched. I can imagine what is happening in the larger Big Ten markets. I have been with Dish 7 years but this is one channel that will make me switch.

Not only does EVERY normal human being care about Big Ten Football...they also want to see Big Ten Hockey, Big Ten Wrestling, Big Ten Woman's Softball, etc. Personally speaking, who wouldn't love to watch some classic Big Ten Golf or Volleyball.;)

Why does everyone think the Big Ten Network will only broadcast a few dozen football and basketball games each fall? This channels is worth $5 per month, per subscriber, even if they were to only show Big Ten Hockey alone. If I gotta pay one red cent for a zillion useless Sirius music channels, MTV, Sci-Fi, FX, SpikeTV, and other such nonsense in order to watch a handful of worthwhile channels conveniently stuffed into AT250, then everyone else can certainly pay a buck or two to have the premier college sports channel added to the lineup.

Al a carte 'em all or fork up some cash Dish Network! Personally, I would prefer al a carte...but that's not gonna happen.

1274161.jpeg

Source: The Big Ten Network

Not only does EVERY normal human being care about Big Ten Football...they also want to see Big Ten Hockey, Big Ten Wrestling, Big Ten Woman's Softball, etc. Personally speaking, who wouldn't love to watch some classic Big Ten Golf or Volleyball.;)
LOL :haha:haha:haha Thanks Jim, I needed a big laugh this morning. :)

I know at least 10 customers here in Davenport that have already switched. I can imagine what is happening in the larger Big Ten markets. I have been with Dish 7 years but this is one channel that will make me switch.
I have six Big Ten alumi/fans working right here in my office (Virginia). E* gave us 12-months of programming credits not to swith to D*. As much as we enjoy our service, this is one gotta have channel. I am cancelling my StarChoice service the end of October so this give E* two months to reach a deal with BTN. As much as we like our E* service, there are 3 or 4 "gotta have" channels...and this is one of them. If E* want's to keep costs under control, I would suggest dropping the Sirius music channels, Sci-Fi, FX, and SpikeTV to start.

I want Big 10, I also like Spike-TV, FX & Sci-Fi, so that would anger me just as much.

Its a big business decision here for Charlie, I know a few people here in Minneapolis that are getting ready to leave Comcast for Sat TV, and they all will be going to D* due to the B10 network. How many customers does he want to risk losing/not acquiring for not adding this channel? It would be interesting if someone could get a state by state churn rate for the next few months...

And I know it was humor... but the B10 does not have hockey. 5 schools have teams, but they play in 2 conferences (WCHA & CCHA)

Last edited:
I was about to point that fact out too BigTimMN. I think it is also a great point that riffjim4069 brought up too. Charlie should be thinking of POTENTIAL Customers as well as the existing ones leaving.
Give us the Big Ten Network.

Go HAWKS!

The thing is, though, that Charlie has to balance losing some subs to D* (which he certainly will, esp. in the Big ten footprint) against paying $1.10 for every sub in the Big Ten footprint, when many of these subs don't give a rats *** about the Big Ten. Remember that E* has thumbed it's nose at the biggest RSN of all (YES Network), so Charlie doesn not consider any RSN as a "must have."

Up to now it seems like Charlie is willing to lose subs and not pick up this channel, but we'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)